Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
Replying from Opera 10.5. Doesn't seem to be fast with XT, but then again, it might e XT's problem!

·
*the drum drum*
42,862 Posts
Chrome based it's GUI on Opera initially, and it's good to see Opera taking back.

It's a good looking browser, that's for sure. Might install it at work so I can give it a proper testing.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
"Opera is faster.

The latest version of Opera is up to 50% faster when loading Web sites."

Up to 50% faster than what?

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
"Opera is faster.

The latest version of Opera is up to 50% faster when loading Web sites."

Up to 50% faster than what?
Opera 10.0

·
38,110 Posts
So they are comparing themselves to themselves. That's meaningless. If comparative claims are to have any substance, they should be between a company's own product and a competitor.

Styg's idea would at least make some sense, but that too is just a guess. Opera doesn't substantiate its claim anywhere.

If the manufacturer resorts to making veiled claims about the characteristics of its product, rather than just being open about it, it doesn't give the prospective customer a lot of confidence and will merely lead to dissatisfaction when the product doesn't live up to its expectations.

·
Registered
24,062 Posts
So they are comparing themselves to themselves. That's meaningless. If comparative claims are to have any substance, they should be between a company's own product and a competitor.

Styg's idea would at least make some sense, but that too is just a guess. Opera doesn't substantiate its claim anywhere.

If the manufacturer resorts to making veiled claims about the characteristics of its product, rather than just being open about it, it doesn't give the prospective customer a lot of confidence and will merely lead to dissatisfaction when the product doesn't live up to its expectations.
Back off! :mad: Opera is an excellent ex-browser.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Even though I use both Firefox and IE8 - I think that if IE was not a Microsoft product would have been rated higher.

These geeks have somehow an anti IE8 sentiment.

·
38,110 Posts
I remember when I was still a Windows and IE user. Now I see red because I was so green. :eek:

And I owe it all to Martin. :worship:

·
*the drum drum*
42,862 Posts
The only reason IE8 appears to be a semi-decent browser is because the web is designed to be compatible with it. In a lot of cases, a web designer will have two sets of code for a page, one to make IE compatible and one for all the other browsers that adhere to standards.

It has a high market share so you have to cater for it, otherwise if it wasn't built into Windows and everyone was aware of the choice they have, IE would be nothing.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
I havent used their browser in ages...(They've been around for quite sometime now)..maybe I should try it again.

Their free e-mail is excellent.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
The only reason IE8 appears to be a semi-decent browser is because the web is designed to be compatible with it. In a lot of cases, a web designer will have two sets of code for a page, one to make IE compatible and one for all the other browsers that adhere to standards.
thats absolutely true and you dont only have that with the web that MS doesnt go with the standards. And then they make standards change with putting pressure on them with their bit of the market.

I remember when I was still a Windows and IE user. Now I see red because I was so green. :eek:
when did you start with (k)ubuntu? :) I cant imagine the times before either anymore. :) We all were green I guess. But no wonder, when you buy a PC windows is preinstalled almost every time. And no way to get it without. At least this was for me, as I lately bought a new notebook.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I use it, and the only issue that I have had is with PDF files. For some reason it crashes Opera, after I try to close the PDF file that Opera is viewing.

Other than that, its fast.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a questions for this browser's usage.

After having the new opera (and updates), I came to a point where my gmail got stuck.... after reading gmail's solution. Its about Clearing Cookies, lots of them, history etc.

Things went well.

Do you practice 'clear cookies on exit'. A bit of a hassle to redo username and password everytime, but effective. (I also had the same problem and solution with chrome)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts