Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, outside of the two groups in which Australian clubs are involved, there's not much I can say. No doubt a bounty of other members will fill in the gaps with lively discussion of this competition.

Melbourne Victory will face Korean side Chunnam at the Telstra Dome. Melbourne ended their domestic campaign in excellent form although it wasn't enough to make the finals - poor form was the norm.

Our present national team coach, Pim Verbeek, said of the Koreans that they'll work extremely hard, they'll be speedy and they'll be skilly. Well he didn't say that exactly, but words to that effect nevertheless. I'm kind of dubious about that last bit - the standard of football on display was generally poor. Having said that, the most impressive display was the first half that Seongnam gave against Adelaide in last seasons edition. They also hail from Korea. As their opponent, last season they were also disappointing domestically, finishing 10th. They qualified by winning some knock-out competition. Expert is I.

I expect the crowd to be disappointing. Advertisements concerning this competition have generally been lacklustre, perhaps excepting Sydney's meeting with Urawa? But yes, most of the public have never heard of Chunnam which isn't an ideal spark. Also, I wonder how Melbournians will consider a mid-week sporting occasion.

It's been said that the ACL is played to a slower tempo than the A-League. With that being so, the absence of Costa Rican international playmaker [?!] Carlos Hernandez may be felt. If he was present, it wouldn't of been out of the question that he'd pull the strings. Like his club, he was disappointing for the most part but came into it towards the climax of the season.

mutu [as if you'll read this:D]: I know you've been disconnected from the J-League for some time but I'd welcome any sort of comment to do with Gamba Osaka, who Melbourne will meet. Urawa seem to have the stand-out support, but that doesn't mean Gamba don't have their own loyal support, of course... :)

Victory's other group rival is Thai club Chonburi FC. I fear the effects of the climate - it was so evident with Indonesian side Persik Kediri where they were undefeated at home but lost all three matches away.

Adelaide have a difficult away trip to face Pohang Steelers, a name which to be sounds befitting an American club. Pohang will be in excellent spirits having snatched a late winner against Chunnam in the K-League opener! There's so much to advantage of the Koreans - their opponents failed to make the finals so haven't been faced with a competitive match for some time. One thing that's good for them, though, is that they've recovered some of the players they so sorely missed in the A-League, one explanation of their prior failure. I expect a Pohang victory.

So yeah, the rest of you are free to discuss these matches and those of other groups. :thmbup:

Oh, I'd like to share this. It's not relevant to this season's competition, still... a very nice goal by Choi Sung-kuk:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSnXlukuhc

·
Registered
639 Posts
Will be on telly back to back so I would watch them both.

I am not sure about the Korean sides, but Gamba Osaka I recalled thrashed Houston Dynamo just a few weeks ago with four goals by their Brazilian forward Bare.

Last year's ACL form for the Australian teams and the disappointing result in the Asian Cup for the NT should be something they have to remember, since they are not just playing against the opposition teams.

---

By the way, Adelaide needs to be wary for Pohang Steelers and their players' dribbles :howler:

http://www.steelers.co.kr/eng/club/house.asp
Built in the Steel Stud technology using steels, the clubhouse with one basement and three ground stories (about 370 square meters) has a total of 53 rooms. Every player including the second squad players is able to use one room each. And also, it has three natural lawn grounds and one artificial lawn ground with lighting facilities, which enables for the players to conduct night training.

Apart from that, the clubhouse has not only all kinds of supplementary facilities including a restaurant holding 60 seats, a conference room, a sauna, and a gym, but also other facilities including a singing room, a billiard room, a computer room and a DDR room. In the lobby, the photos of all successive players and the winning trophies are displayed.
They might dance to victory against Adelaide :D

·
Registered
44,371 Posts
Krung Thai Bank 1-9 Kashima Antlers

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
42,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DDR? Dance Dance Revolution?

Man, how cool is that.

Anyway, a positive night for Australian clubs as both enjoyed 2-0 victories. Adelaide's was more significant, being away from home against the group favourite. It was this match that I seen [5am repeat :D]. Pohang dominated possession and chances throughout, although for the most part they lacked cutting edge, I guess. Adelaide took a very early, a header from a corner kick. Their battling midfielder Jonas Salley was silly, kicking the ball away carelessly as he sat on a yellow card. I expected a torrid time for United, but it didn't really eventuate - Adelaide defended with some calm and Pohang's ventures forward didn't carry a great deal of bite. In the 60 something minute, a hilarious defensive mix-up gifted Adelaide an unlikely 2-0 lead, Bruce Djite tucking into the open net. A huge result for the Australian club.

Meanwhile, in the homeland, some symmetry as Melbourne also defeated a Korean club 2-0, Chunnam. Oops I already said in the opener that it was them that they'd play. Never mind. Anyway, Kevin Muscat slotted down the middle, I'm told the 16th penalty he's successfully converted - from 16 attempts. I didn't see this match but highlights. The crowd, with the evidence presented to me, looked poor. The second half, Rodrigo Vargas [another defender, another header] polished things off. Melbourne stand at the top of their group after a surprise result, seemingly - Chinese champions Changchun Yatai were held 1-1 at home by Thai club Chonburi. No my mistake, Gamba were held, evidently not displaying their Houston form. :D

Highlights of Pohang/Adelaide:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lSsDDq0xfnU

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
DDR? Dance Dance Revolution?

Man, how cool is that.

Anyway, a positive night for Australian clubs as both enjoyed 2-0 victories. Adelaide's was more significant, being away from home against the group favourite. It was this match that I seen [5am repeat :D]. Pohang dominated possession and chances throughout, although for the most part they lacked cutting edge, I guess. Adelaide took a very early, a header from a corner kick. Their battling midfielder Jonas Salley was silly, kicking the ball away carelessly as he sat on a yellow card. I expected a torrid time for United, but it didn't really eventuate - Adelaide defended with some calm and Pohang's ventures forward didn't carry a great deal of bite. In the 60 something minute, a hilarious defensive mix-up gifted Adelaide an unlikely 2-0 lead, Bruce Djite tucking into the open net. A huge result for the Australian club.

Meanwhile, in the homeland, some symmetry as Melbourne also defeated a Korean club 2-0, Chunnam. Oops I already said in the opener that it was them that they'd play. Never mind. Anyway, Kevin Muscat slotted down the middle, I'm told the 16th penalty he's successfully converted - from 16 attempts. I didn't see this match but highlights. The crowd, with the evidence presented to me, looked poor. The second half, Rodrigo Vargas [another defender, another header] polished things off. Melbourne stand at the top of their group after a surprise result, seemingly - Chinese champions Changchun Yatai were held 1-1 at home by Thai club Chonburi. No my mistake, Gamba were held, evidently not displaying their Houston form. :D

Highlights of Pohang/Adelaide:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lSsDDq0xfnU
There were 24,000 there Jeff.

is this really important
More important than The MLS.

It's in the World Forum, if you don't like the thread get the hell out of here. :)

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Re: ILA

Yeah, I've lost touch with J-league recently but I can tell you a bit by looking at their squad.

Yasuhito Endo is their standout player. He really has progresses nicely over the past couple of years and has managed to become a regular in the NT starting line up. Technically very sound and a good passer with a good deal of creativity. He's a free kick expert so watch out.

Akira Kaji is a dynamic right back with a lot of energy although he could be employed as a pretty effective wing back depending on the formation. Expect a lot of forward runs and maybe even some shots on goal from him, although his cross delivery is erratic.

I don't enough about anyone else to comment I'm afraid. Good luck!

·
Registered
42,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cruyff - ah OK. That was better than I expected. Some would of been disappointed ["disgusting" is a word that I encountered] but what I wrote must be taken into account. And you would expect the figure to rise for the meeting with Gamba. Chonburi, well, to continue with the pessimism, I wouldn't be surprised if for only the second time, Victory will pull less than 20,000.

Mutu - Don't be afraid, that's some good stuff, I don't know much beyond a few clubs so to hear anything is more than welcome. To place emphasis on the first sentence, the only thing I feel like contributing at the moment is to express my feeling of how cool a name Akira Kaji is. :D

I read that matchday two is just around the corner. Next week? Fortnight? One of the either. I can't wait for Adelaide's match [which if I didn't mention is against Changchun Yatai] although Melbourne's doesn't engage the senses on the same level. Still there's some interest, for me anyway, to see how the players cope with the conditions - they'll be bad but not so bad for "some of us" in this country to cry out in despair "you're wilting? You think that's bad? It's nothing compared to THIS!!!" The match will be played in Thailand against Chonburi.

The scoreline of 1-9 is exceptional but I wouldn't join those who are in fear of Kawasaki - of course the opposition would of been of a low standard.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Until Mohun Bagan or East Bengal enter the competition you guys won't experience sh*t! :)

Kolkata's Salt Lake Stadium is one of the most daunting stadiums in the world. Would easily draw a huge crowd for AFC Champions league matches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quarterfinalists

Adelaide United (Australia)
Kashima Antlers (Japan)
Gamba Osaka (Japan)
Urawa Reds (Japan)
Saipa (Iran)
Kuruvchi (Uzbekistan)
Al Qadisiya (Kuwait) :thumbsup:
Al-Karamah (Syria)

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I've been watching it on football Asia. Good to see debutants Kuruvchi in the Quarter final. I'm amazed there'd never been a J-League quarterfinalist until last year.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
More important than The MLS.
MLS > Whatever this thing is called

Man, we've had amazing guys from down under like Andrew Boyens and Jarrod Smith. You can't compete with that. :dielaugh:

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
MLS > Whatever this thing is called

Man, we've had amazing guys from down under like Andrew Boyens and Jarrod Smith. You can't compete with that. :dielaugh:
I was stirring.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I was stirring.
And I was being sarcastic. :pp Boyens was awful and sent packing before this season started. Smith's been good.

·
Registered
42,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm delighted for Adelaide, first Australian club to claim this achievement.

I hope they draw Urawa, although the other two Japanese representatives are unappealing as their attendance figures pale in comparison compared to J-League fixtures. Urawa proved themselves an exceptional exception. :D

I wonder, this sudden transformation of J-League clubs in ACL. Perhaps Urawa was a good example for others to follow, I do recall some statements of intent from the Saitama club - "we intend to win this competition," along those lines. Urawa have only claimed one title so it was their debut. I guess this reached to the players, the managers, etc. but not the fans [of Kashima and Gamba].

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
And I was being sarcastic. :pp Boyens was awful and sent packing before this season started. Smith's been good.
I have no idea who they are :pp

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
That's cuz they're kiwis. And I had to google them to find that out. Not even good enough for the Phoenix. MLS > ? I doubt it.
Probably too busy eating their fush and chups.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts