Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, April 24th 2002, I realised that one year has passed since the retirement of the greatest Romanian footballer of all times: Gica Hagi.

It's been one year since he has not worn the yellow shirt (actually 1 year and a half), and meanwhile he finished second with Galtasaray in the Turkish league, came back, coached the NT, failed to qualify it, went to a dozen TV shows, argued with the Steaua people and defended his favourite club.

Maybe we wish he were still playing, but still it's good that we have Gica here in the country. Whether he is going to become a good coach or good leader of a club, or if he is simply going to do what Pele does (go to shows and ceremonies, shake hands, wave etc), we all love him (I hope).

So, Gica, Happy Birthday for Sfantul Gheorghe and, no matter what you will do in the future, you will always stay in our hearts, not only as the best player, but as a special person, because only a fool would think that such a player could have been anything else but a great man.

La Multi Ani, Gica!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
With all our respect, he did some mistakes.

1 we missed the wc because of him. (well, not only because of him)

2 i don't wish he was still playing. He had a great career, in which he was the best player in the world, but we all could see he can't play much longer at EURO2000. He used to slow up the game.
I don't think we could've beat England with him on the field.

3 he is starting to be naughty at every tv show. when i heard him telling Piturca" Ba, eu am facut facultate, to ce'ai facut" (I went to the University, what did you do?) it practicly made me angry. He is the last one should talk about some other people's studies.

·
Registered
70,343 Posts
Heyyy Caveman,you should have more respect when you are talking about Hagi :dazed: :eek:

But I respect your opinion :tongue:

La multi ani Hagi!!!!!!!!!

:( ;) :mad: HAI ROMANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You can't put the blame of not qualifying all on Hagi.

Piturca's an @ss he deserved it :)

The difference between Hagi and Pele is that Hagi isn't an idiot (all due respect to Pele's talents but cheez). Hey David did you happen to catch the Brazilian F1 GP where Pele was supposed to throw the flag and he missed it he was looking the other way? He he he what a goober. :)

Its only been a year, it feels like much longer. We love yeah ol' man.

·
Registered
25,646 Posts
Hagi: Romania's 'Maradona'

BUCHAREST, April 25 (AFP)

Gheorghe Hagi, known as the 'Maradona of the Carpathians', became Romania's most famous footballer ever during a remarkable 16-year international career.
A veteran of three World Cups, Hagi announced his arrival on the international scene with a debut goal against Northern Ireland in 1984, when Romania was still very much a part of the communist eastern bloc.
By the time the midfield maestro had hung up his boots in 2000, Hagi's magical left foot and vision had helped him become one of European football's most celebrated players.
Born in Sacele, Hagi began his career with Farul Constanza and Sportul Studentesc before he was noticed in 1987, by Steaua Bucharest, Romania's biggest club.
Working under the guidance of coach Anghel Iordanescu, who constructed a team around him, Hagi and Steaua were to enjoy a period of unrivalled dominance in Romanian football, winning three league and cup doubles on the trot.
Hagi's sparkling play almost carried Steaua to a second European Cup crown in 1989, when they swept all before them before being downed 4-0 by a Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten-inspired AC Milan.
Hagi made his entrance on the World Cup stage for the first time in 1990, although the experience was a frustrating one.
Injury ruled him out of Romania's opening match, and though he showed tantalising flashes of his class in subsequent games, he never really did justice to his talent before a second-round exit against Ireland.
In the immediate aftermath of Italia '90, and less than a year after Romania's communist regime had been toppled in the 1989 revolution, Hagi was made an instant millionaire following a transfer to Real Madrid.
Life at the Bernabeu proved tough, however and after two largely unsuccessful seasons he was transferred to Brescia in Serie A, where fellow Romanian Mircea Lucescu was coaching.
The move helped kickstart the midfielder's stalled career, and Romania were to be the principal beneficiaries at the 1994 World Cup, when Hagi emerged as one of the players of the tournament.
Older and wiser, Hagi was a key figure in Romania's run to the quarter-finals, scoring three times and creating countless opportunities for his team-mates.
One of his goals was a memorable 35-yard lob from the touchline in the 3-1 victory over Colombia. Some commentators doubted he meant it, but Hagi was only too happy to put the record straight. "Of course I meant it," he said later.
Following the World Cup, Hagi's career hit another trough.
A transfer to Barcelona proved unsuccessful - although there was one famous goal struck from inside his own half - and he was soon off-loaded to Istanbul side Galatasaray.
He was back for his third World Cup at France 98, but again could help his side do no better than elimination to Croatia in the opening knockout phase.
Having guided Galatasaray to victory in the 2000 UEFA Cup, he retired from international football following Euro 2000, where he was sent off in his final match. He was appointed Romania coach in 2001, but quit after the team lost a World Cup play-off with Slovenia.

·
Registered
25,646 Posts
does anybody know where I can see his goal against Colombia in '94?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts