Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56,080 Posts
this film has been selected to cannes festival. it didn't get any award but i'm sure it's a film well worth watch.

·
Registered
44,775 Posts
i didn't see kechiche's film. for what i heard, seems a bit controversial. complaisance with explicite sexual scenes.
i think if have to choose a film to watch, i would go for the tarantino one.
Yeah, I was kidding. :D Kechiche's film got trashed for being trashy...but if it's attention he wanted, then it's mission accomplished for him. He got more buzz than almost anyone else and he's more famous than he's ever been. Can't knock the hustle.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
49,544 Posts
went to see it last week and enjoyed it thoroughly (probably the first Tarantino film I can say that about)

great Hollywood meta, nice slow tempo with lots of unexpected scenes and solutions ... DiCaprio and Pitt both brilliant and Sharon Tate as the (unexpected) 3rd main character works really well

I didn't really buy the ending which was almost like from some other movie ... although this has been Tarantino's staple trick for a while ...still he could have shown some more restraint there

9/10

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a similar experience with the new film. I was obsessed with QT in my late teens, but never much liked his films after 2000.

That's not to say that grownups can only like Jackie Brown and not "childish kung fu" or whatever. It's fairly random in many cases what you're exposed to, and when, and so on.

The ending here wasn't perfect, but still very good imo. I was relieved anyway. Not the easiest film for which to come up with one, either.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,544 Posts
true ... it was a clever ending but the execution of it could have been better, too gory and violent and over the top IMO, didn't really match too well with the rest of the film (although I can see what he was trying to do with the audience there and it kind of worked ... i was relieved too :D)

but overall this movie vastly exceeded my expectations ... one of the best films I've seen this year next to Wild Pear Tree

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen almost no new films this year, I usually pick up during the last quarter.

Aside from the gore, that very last "fairytale ending" crane shot was a nice bookend to both the Margot Robbie scenes from earlier (they build up this sympathy for her, her hopes and dreams and whatever), and also for the Leo character... sort of a fusion between New Hollywood and the old... which was then allowed to live on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts