1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
December 22, 2004

45,000 Reasons Why FIFA Are A Waste of Space

Article by The Editor on December 22, 2004

The Spanish football federation have been fined just £45,000 (100,000 Swiss Francs) by FIFA for the sickening monkey chanting at the recent Spain v England international 'friendly' match in Madrid. This insult is on top of the measly £6,000 fine handed out to Real Madrid after their 'fans' abused black players and performed Nazi salutes during a Champions League match.

The fine is probably less than the weekly wage of any player in the two squads from that night. In fact so pathetic is the punishment handed out to the Spanish football federation that it in itself condones the actions. FIFA were obliged to find the federation guilty as the evidence was there for all to see, but the punishment is an admission by football's governing body that they want to do nothing about racism. It's pathetic, it's insulting and it's 45,000 reasons why FIFA is no longer relevant in football. If they can't deal with the biggest issue affecting football today, they can't deal with anything. :groan:

Not that the lax punishments have been solely reserved for Spanish sides - other nations and clubs have received similarly small punishments. Indeed the FA received just a 150,000 Swiss Franc fine for the deeply offensive "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk" chanting at the England v Turkey match in Sunderland two years ago. The issue is not about who is committing the offence, but that the crime is not being punished enough to produce a correction in behaviour. Until FIFA, UEFA and other relevant bodies get serious about racism it will never be stamped out and we are all losers because of it. :nono:

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More ....................

"FIFA missed an opportunity"

Wednesday December 22 2004

Sports minister Richard Caborn claimed that FIFA "missed an opportunity" by not punishing the Spanish FA more severely for the racist abuse of England players in Madrid last month.

FIFA imposed a fine of just under £45,000 and warned a repeat offence may lead to Spain playing a match behind closed doors or even being thrown out of a major tournament such as the World Cup.

But Caborn believes a more several punishment was justified after Ashley Cole, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Jermain Defoe were subjected to constant monkey chants during the match at the Bernabeu, a night after overt racist abuse during the England Under-21 friendly.

Caborn told the Press Association: "I think that it is an opportunity missed for FIFA to have stamped their authority on the incident and shown that football and sport in general is not going to tolerate racism.

"We were looking for some symbolic action to say that we can not allow this sort of behaviour and they have not done that.

"I hope now that in the longer term they will give authority to the fourth official to suspend matches where there is racist abuse of the type we witnessed in Madrid, and if the chanting continues then to abandon games altogether."

It was the first time that FIFA's disciplinary committee have had to deal with racist incidents. That was because the game was a friendly - competitive matches involving European countries or clubs come under UEFA's umbrella.

FIFA announced the 100,000 Swiss franc fine yesterday evening and issued a statement saying: "The Spanish football association or its relevant representative team may be forced to play behind closed doors or face exclusion from FIFA competitions if these offences are repeated."
:mute:

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
the fine they was handed is a joke, considering the reason they got off way to lighty. A ban in the hundred thousands to the millions and a stadium ban would of been correct.

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interista said:
the fine they was handed is a joke, considering the reason they got off way to lighty. A ban in the hundred thousands to the millions and a stadium ban would of been correct.
Seems reasonable enough to me !!!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
colocolo said:
Seems reasonable enough to me !!!
Not when England got fined £100,000.00 for racist abuse against Turkey.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Interista said:
Nico, I think colocolo may of actually been refering to my idea of reasonable
Sorry, I read the quote again and get the point now. :thmbup:

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
vol said:
Was Real Madrid somehow punished for game vs Bayer Leverkusen?
It says in the first paragraph of the article they were fined £6,000. :

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
This is nothing for big clubs like Real Madrid and the Spanish FA they should have been fined much more especially with all the money they have this won't hut them at ALL and likely it is that the same fans will not be afraid to start trouble again after such a small fine.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
These fins would be larger and more sevier if it was on a smaller team/federation fyi. Theb est always get better treatment.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I'm With Stupid said:
They could have at least threatened to throw them out of the World Cup if it happens again before then, like they did with England.
From media reports ive heard, thats the next step if it happens again.

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interista said:
From media reports ive heard, thats the next step if it happens again.
And again...from this corner..I believed thats a great step to take if FIFA decides to take it...and that remains to be the real part of all this !!! :cap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts