Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
International
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right.

The only competition where we still have a chance of winning something and we have Marseille in our way. With a weekend free of domestic commitments, I suppose the boys will be fresh from a good rest and *giggle* raring to go.

Hard to predict, this one, but I will go for a goalless draw.

For paw's Prediction League, click here.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
was just about to start the OMT thread.

here's the BBC's scoop on things

Liverpool v Marseille

Uefa Cup fourth round first leg
Kick-off 2000 GMT
Live updates on BBC Radio Five Live and the BBC Sport website
Liverpool will be without French forward Anthony Le Tallec for the fourth round first-leg tie.
He suffered torn ankle ligaments in a reserve match and will be out for around a month.

But Florent Sinama-Pongolle, who has been out with an ankle injury, has a chance of being involved in the squad for the visit of the French club.

Czech midfielder Vladimir Smicer is struggling with an Achilles injury and has been in France having treatment.

Meanwhile, Reds boss Gerard Houllier believes the club's season is far from over.

He said: "The heavy criticism this season has made the players stick together and the only way to answer the critics is to play the football we have started to play.

"We have lost one in 10 - I am not surprised at that - and it has been only two defeats since mid-December.

"We have a lot of players back from injury, there is a freshness about them and I believe we can make it a very exciting end to the season."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool (from): Kirkland, Finnan, Henchoz, Hyypia, Carragher, Murphy, Gerrard, Hamann, Kewell, Cheyrou, Baros, Owen, Heskey, Pongolle, Biscan, Traore, Dudek, Welsh, Diouf, Diao.

First leg at Anfield, could be tricky. Lets hope the fabled (hardly ever seen lately ;))H+H partnership can pull us through.

i wouldn't doubt on seeing some Hoof ball tomorrow we'll be trying to keep a clean sheet i'd imagine. but still, should set mikey and baros up front and play a tight midfield and poach on any aggregy score we can.

Hope this one's on tv. Liverpool!

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Just hope that Marseille will not take the away goal that in the end could prove to be fatal for us in a couple of weeks. Liverpool must keep it tight at the back.

paw;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
From TELETEXT:
Anigo Backs Houllier:
LIVERPOOL v MARSEILLE (8.00)

Marseille coach Jose Anigo has hit out at the recent attacks on Gerard Houllier as he prepares to face Liverpool in the Uefa Cup.

Houllier has received death threats and been the subject of vile graffiti outside the club's training ground.

Anigo said: "It is disgusting. Fans should look at the list of trophies won and remember what he has done for the club before openly criticising."

The Liverpool boss believes Marseille will come to Anfield and try to stifle his side.

He said: "They are an experienced side and will play extremely defensive football, out of respect to us.

"They will show resilience and battling qualities. I have said before that in a two-legged tie the first match is always the most important. We need to do well tomorrow."

Meanwhile, Marseille defender David Sommeil has backed Fabien Barthez to prove his critics in England wrong when he turns out for the French side.

Barthez is on loan from Manchester United, and Sommeil said: "People remember a few mistakes he made at United but he is out of the top drawer.

"I'm sure he is relishing the prospect of showing the English fans at Anfield that he is as good as ever."

Anthony Le Tallec will be missing after tearing ankle ligaments for the reserves earlier this week.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle, though, is set to be involved. Vladimir Smicer is struggling with an Achilles injury.

Steve Marlet, on loan from Fulham, is expected to start for Marseille despite only recently returning after three months out with an ankle problem.

------------------------------------------------------

The news of ALT was a blow.. I hope it's not serious.. and he gets well soon :cool:

I really do hope it's on TV.. I know most of the TV Channels will be showing Inter vs Benfica.. but I'm still hanging hopes that ours will be shown too..

As mentioned in the PL thread.. Marseille are going through a bad patch of form.. I know we've not been playing overwhelming type of football either, but I think it's a point we should capitalize on tonight.. GH expects them to defend out of respect.. well I hope they do (as their defence is making more blunders than ours!).. But I wouldn't be too surprised if Marseille threw all they had at us.. at least to seek one goal then shut the game off.. and I think if anything, we should try to make sure we keep that clean sheet.. Ok, let me rephrase that :) as I feel it didn't sound right at all.. Our defence should keep their eyes open.. we need to have the away goals rule on our side.. meaning we need to win without conceding :)

I'm surprised Celtic vs. Barcelona is not being shown here either! :confused: :groan:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
MARSEILLE

Entraîneur
José Anigo

COMPOSITION

F. Barthez
D. Ferreira (Bra)
H. Beye (Sen)
B. Hemdani (Alg)
A. Meïté (Civ)
M. Flamini
S. N'Diaye (Sen)
F. Celestini (Sui)
M. Dos Santos
L. Batlles
D. Drogba (Civ)

REMPLACANTS
S. Pérez
P. Johansen
J. Gavanon
A. Mido (Egy)
S. Marlet
C. Meriem
J. Ecker

Almost as many foreigners as Liverpools starting 11en..

(www.sports.fr)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Probable Liverpool XI:

--------------------Kirkland---------------------

Finnan---Henchoz---Hyypia---Carragher

--------------------Hamann--------------------

Murphy------------Gerrard------------Kewell

-------------Baros----------Owen-------------

SUBS:

Dudek
Biscan
Traore
Diouf
Cheyrou
Heskey
Sinama

Really looking forward to this one, should be an interesting game. I think we'll do them 2-0 like we did to Levski in the last round.

LIVERPOOL! LIVERPOOL! :fero:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Did not watch due to the fault of this spherical planet.... will catch the replay if there is one tonight.

However I can imagine two out of form 'slagging it out'

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
We were poor and we paid the price for it. We are doomed. I just hope the season will end tomorrow because I, as much as the next Liverpool fan, I hope, do not see ourselves turning corners (what corners?) as long as Hou is with us.

Caught the last ten minutes after Marseille equalised and we were still crap. And guess what... Heskey and Biscan on. Now Hou has done it again. There will only be a 1 in a million chance for either player to do it. Frankly, I was hoping that we score and we win, but such a result would have been unfair to Marseille, who put up a fight and came at us. And the BBC report even said to the tune of Liverpool sitting back on a one-goal cushion after getting no way through. That is entirely laughable. Not at the report but at the attitude the team adopted.

We are doomed. No unless or maybes because the season is over.

paw;)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Paw you misinformed *beep*! :D :D

How can you say we sat back! Listen to the Ged's post match comments.

GH - This tie is far from over

A defiant Gerard Houllier said the UEFA Cup fourth round tie with Marseille is far from over despite the French side having an away goal and the joyous celebrations of their players after the match.

The Liverpool manager said the Marseille players were singing in the dressing room after the match but added he is confident his team can score in the second leg in two week's time.

Houllier said: "They think it's all over and they were singing in the changing room after the match. I can tell you that it's not over and we know we have to score over there, and I am confident we can."

Regarding the match Houllier admitted his side were not at their most fluent and felt the cold and windy conditions didn't suit his team.

Houllier said: "I thought it was a very cold night and we didn't play particularly well. There was a strong wind which maybe hampered us a bit.

"They frustrated us and they had 10 men behind the ball every time we attacked. They worked hard and it was difficult to break them down but they didn't have a lot of chances. We can play better than that though and we were a bit flat at times."

-------------
Wait a minute

Did he say we are attacking? Opps.... sorry Paw.

*buys Paw a coke*

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
heard we were crap. seems like we were.

frankly i won't be losing any sleep over this tonight.

our chances of making it to the next round grow slim. i think we can still make it but it will be harder, and I certainly hope that the French fans can't taunt in English. :)
wait a minute, half our team will understand the French anyways ;)

sorry, had to put that in there. :)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Paw you misinformed *beep*! :D :D

How can you say we sat back! Listen to the Ged's post match comments.
From the BEEPS also...

Liverpool seemed content to sit on their lead and kill the game off, and Marseille's lack of ambition in the final third made another goal look unlikely.

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
Regarding the match Houllier admitted his side were not at their most fluent and felt the cold and windy conditions didn't suit his team.

Houllier said: "I thought it was a very cold night and we didn't play particularly well. There was a strong wind which maybe hampered us a bit.

"They frustrated us and they had 10 men behind the ball every time we attacked. They worked hard and it was difficult to break them down but they didn't have a lot of chances. We can play better than that though and we were a bit flat at times."
His post-match comments are often of the highest laughable quality. :D

But some points I have picked up over the years in his comments.
1) When you have no more excuses to give, blame the weather.;)
2) Look positive, stay positive. It gives a positive spin to anything, even though the rot is right to the core.
3) Refute any suggestions that he is leaving. Look. He is not.:groan:

Of course we can play better than that, Mr Houllier sir. As this is the usual stuff we dish out week in week out and with the results so far, I hope you begin to realise that now.

BTW, Mindy, he is beginning to sound like our government these days... Doesn't he?

paw;)

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
I pity Mrs Paw. :D :D :D :D

You gonna keep those hips moving or face penalties...:eek:

·
International
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Friendly FM warning to paw and Mindy:

No discussions on politics, please. This is Liverpool FC Forum, not the PAPaya Forum.

:D

As for the match, I got my prediction correct (where's my prediction league points, paw?). We're in for a good time in the Inter-Toto Cup (imagine players from Total Network Solutions singing in the shower after grabbing a goalless draw at Anfield?) if we fail to score in the return leg. The only thing I failed to predict is the Toad's using the weather as an excuse. Maybe Moores / Parry et al should consider building an artificial climate thingy at Anfield and insist that Liverpool FC will play only in the best environment/climate possible.

Have I said this yet? Nope. So here it is:

Inter-Toto Cup, HERE WE COME!:fero:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
You gonna keep those hips moving or face penalties...:eek:
You are funny and sick at the same time. Well done.:cool: :tongue: :tongue:

paw;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts