Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Marseille v Liverpool

Liverpool will have fond memories of their last trip to the Stade Velodrome when they fly to France for their first match in Group D.

Rafael Benitez's side recorded a sensational 4-0 victory at the same stage last season in a win-or-bust clash that proved to be something of a stroll for the five times winners.

A similar result this time around would provide them with the perfect start but they will be well aware that the hosts will be eager to make amends for such a heavy defeat this time around.​

·
Registered
10,563 Posts
OM attack is stronger than it was last season...their 2 main signings ben arfa & kone have been great for them so far...their defense is really bad tho....we can easily manage to win this

·
I love you Vardan.M
3,180 Posts
It's a great pleasure to welcome you again.
Of course, I hope our players will not welcome you like last years :pp
But for every Marseille's fans, it's a pleasure to see a big team in their stadium.

It could be very surprising to see the same scenario than last year. I'm more for a narrow game.
Marseille will play with every players, no one is injuried. Ben Arfa is came back like Valbuena or others.
In revanche, I don't know how we will play.

And in your hand, who is injuried ?

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't know that you got Ben Arfa...

We fortunately don't have any injuries so far, except Degen I think, but we're not sure on the fitness of Gerrard and Torres, if they're ready for this or not.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
i have watched only one full game for Marseille this season which was the openining game.. ( vs Rennais ). kone and ben arfa strikers or Niang.. etc. they looked more dangerous in the box. it`s quite enough to know how will be this game by looking at that Marseille are the 2nd in ligue 1 and have bone superbly so far.

of course i don`t think this game to be an easy as ours 0-4 last season.

...YNWA

·
I love you Vardan.M
3,180 Posts
i have watched only one full game for Marseille this season which was the openining game.. ( vs Rennais ). kone and ben arfa strikers or Niang.. etc. they looked more dangerous in the box. it`s quite enough to know how will be this game by looking at that Marseille are the 2nd in ligue 1 and have bone superbly so far.

of course i don`t think this game to be an easy as ours 0-4 last season.

...YNWA
I could accept a lose of our team against you. It's "normal" because you are the big.
But I hope we have learn the lesson of the past and I will never see again a so ugly football game begin of my team.

Against Rennes, we have had defensive probleme. But we have loocket to everybody our good forward.
Since this game, we have made progres in defense (hopefully). And I know our forward will score at least a goal with all our good strickers (I'm speaking about ligue 1 and not CL :D)

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
I could accept a lose of our team against you. It's "normal" because you are the big.
But I hope we have learn the lesson of the past and I will never see again a so ugly football game begin of my team.

Against Rennes, we have had defensive probleme. But we have loocket to everybody our good forward.
Since this game, we have made progres in defense (hopefully). And I know our forward will score at least a goal with all our good strickers (I'm speaking about ligue 1 and not CL :D)
i think your forward becomes a bit more influential despite the move of cisse to sunderland. we shall play on your defense point and try to invest that when torres returns and start this game. of course ucl is not ligue 1 and liverpool isn`t Rennes.

·
I love you Vardan.M
3,180 Posts
i think your forward becomes a bit more influential despite the move of cisse to sunderland. we shall play on your defense point and try to invest that when torres returns and start this game. of course ucl is not ligue 1 and liverpool isn`t Rennes.
Cissé has a lot of quality. But Gerets, our coach, doesn't see football like Cissé plays it.
Gerets loves when a player is fast and technic. Cissé is fast but .. about her technic, it's not his better argument :D
It's the main reason why Gerets desired Koné or Ben Arfa. Now we have on the pitch 4-5 forwards players who can be fast, technic and score goals.
When you remember last year, we couldn't go fast with a Nasri and technic with Cissé. Something it was hard to distract our opponents because it was hard to change rythm of the game (there were always a technic error of Cissé or Nasri temporized ...)

After in defense, there are a lot of fear about it. She has told against Bordeaux, but now it's Liverpool. Our first big game, where we will see if our team can resist to bigs.
We will see how will be the game, but if Marseille is good behind (even if we lost), it could be interessant to the futur in our championship.

Now, just some questions about our team.
Torres will play as the begining ? And Gerrard ? There are news players in your team ?
Are you sure, Liverpool is not Rennes ? .. shit ... :D

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
yep, i do respect Rennes and their fans, but liverpool european experiences is not as Rennes in ligue 1. ask yourself Marseille fans but although of that i don`t predict this one to be an easy as the (0-4) last season. :D.

I don`t know what`s our predictable lineup which will start this game. but, i think Gerrard and Torres will be ready to play.. they were on the bench last game against manutd. :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Liverpool are without Fabio Aurelio for Tuesday's Champions League game in Marseille following a calf injury sustained on Saturday.

For all the latest in the countdown to the big clash at Valhalla, visit our Ryder Cup microsite, with Range Rover Sport.
Javier Mascherano is expected to have recovered from a knee injury picked up in the Premier League home win over Manchester United, while both Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are in the travelling party to the south of France.

Gerrard, recovered from a groin operation, is expected to start the game but there is a possibility that Torres will be on the bench in the Stade Velodrome after his hamstring problem.

Brazilian Lucas, who missed out on the win over United because he had not arrived back from international duty, is also in the squad - but David Ngog has also been left out of the Group D opener.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Dossena, Arbeloa, Agger, Skrtel, Carragher, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Kuyt, Torres, Riera, Keane, Cavalieri, Degen.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Meetings since 2004
11/12/2007 Marseille 0 - 4 Liverpool
03/10/2007 Liverpool 0 - 1 Marseille
25/03/2004 Marseille 2 - 1 Liverpool
11/03/2004 Liverpool 1 - 1 Marseille

Marseille Last Six Games
13/09/2008 Bordeaux 1 - 1 Marseille
30/08/2008 Marseille 2 - 1 Sochaux
27/08/2008 Marseille 2 - 1 SK Brann
23/08/2008 Le Havre 0 - 1 Marseille
17/08/2008 Marseille 4 - 0 Auxerre
13/08/2008 SK Brann 0 - 1 Marseille

Liverpool Last Six Games
13/09/2008 Liverpool 2 - 1 Man Utd
31/08/2008 Aston Villa 0 - 0 Liverpool
23/08/2008 Liverpool 2 - 1 Middlesbrough
16/08/2008 Sunderland 0 - 1 Liverpool
13/08/2008 Standard Liege 0 - 0 Liverpool
08/08/2008 Liverpool 1 - 0 Lazio

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Cissé has a lot of quality. But Gerets, our coach, doesn't see football like Cissé plays it.
Gerets loves when a player is fast and technic. Cissé is fast but .. about her technic, it's not his better argument :D

the way you write this is amusing, and so very true. :D

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
------------ Reina------
Arbeloa --- Skrtel ---- Carra--Dossena
--------Lucas--Mascherano-------
Kuyt------- Gerrard-------Babel
-------------Torres---------------

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
oh, what a real chance for babel after 14min. he wastes a goal!
and gerrard gets too after only 1 minute.

still not a difficult to score.

come on you reds.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts