·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VS

LIVERPOOL-----Benfica

VENUE: ANFIELD

---SQUADS-----------------------------------------------------------
Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Kewell, Crouch, Fowler, Dudek, Warnock, Traore, Morientes, Cisse, Hamann, Barragan.

Benfica:Quim, Moretto, Anderson, Luisão, Léo, Alcides, Nélson , Ricardo Rocha, Petit, Karagounis, Manuel Fernandes, Beto, Karyaka , Robert ,Geovanni, Marcel, Simão, Nuno Gomes, Miccoli​
----------------------------------------------------------------------
LIVERPOOL TEAM (PROBABLE)

4-2-3-1

------------------Reina--------------------
Finnan------Carra-----Hyypia------Riise
------------------------------------------------
----------Didi/ Gerrard-----Xabi----------
Gerrard/ Garcia---Morientes----Kewell--
---------------Cisse/Crouch---------------

or
4-4-2

------------------Reina---------------
Finnan-----Carra------Agger-----Riise
----------------------------------------------
-------------Xabi--------Gerrard Didi------
Gerrard/ Garcia---------------------Kewell
---------Crouch/ Cisse----Moro-----------

The Champions League is back at Anfield :proud:, Liverpool have recently suffered results due to there inability to score or to finish teams off, the rot needs to be stopped on a permanent basis especially as our CL fate hangs on this game, we need to build momentum and continuing winning. Playing at home we need to be tough and take the iniative from the start, play high tempo and deadly infront of goal, step forward Robbie Fowler and Liverpool as a team :proud:, now we need really kicking on together more than ever with a tough glut of fixtures. We need to cut out mistakes and build up on a winning run again, as we are entering a tough glut of fixtures which can swing our season. But this is the most important game of our season, we need to be driven and play our hearts out, at the end having no regrets. The final pass and finishing needs to be worked on as well as the creative part of our game, no doubt Rafa will have spotted it and will work on this, hopefully it pays dividends on the pitch :hopefull:. We need two goals, something we havent managed in 9 games :eekani: , this i repeat is not because of negative football or our lack of endeavour, we have the most shots in EPL but only 33goals to show for it, we need to finish our chances tonight. :)
  • Rafa has stated now that he has a fully fit-esque squad for a sustained period in his Anfield tenure, though Bolo is out for the season, hard luck as he was finding form. Fowler's goal presence will be missed so the others will need to really start knocking the goals in a live up to their name's, Moro especially as he is suffering form bad loss of confidence but he's more adapt for UCL and we need him to perform more than ever before.
  • Gerrard I feel will play in the centre with Xabi in the middle and they are the two players who make the foundation solid and give the creative spark and drive us forward whilst also controlling the game. Garica playing out wide right (roaming) can offer a goal threat, though he can be hot and cold. Also Kewell may play left midfield roaming with Morientes in the central deep role and all 3 exchanging positions from time to time, with Kewell possibly as left winger he now seems to be finding his fitness and form. :thumbsup:
  • The strikers are unpredicatable as always :depress:, Morientes has lost his feet and seems to become less effective game by game. When Crouch plays we focus on long balls :yuck: and the game goes by Moro, who is less effective as he cannot link play. Cisse is the unpredictable one, he can do some awesome things then miss a one on one sitter, but his pace and his enthusiasm and the fact he's the most dangerous striker suggest he should play.
  • The importance of a win are astronomically high, considering this is UCL and we our defending our title :proud:, we had momentum and I'd love for us to sustain that again. This match is vital and can really give our season the extra push, we need to be at our BEST to win
  • A key part of us winning this match will be the defence, we have fifteen clean sheets in EPL a greater tally than what we had in EPL all last season, we should try and build upon that though we've started to make mistakes, if we cut out the defensive mistakes we can build on that as a foundation and go for the win.
  • We havent had a 5 game+ winning run for a long time prior to this season:eekani::frownani: I can't remember when we went on a major winning run last (2003?), but hopefully this can be a foundation and we can win and build momentum and go up the league.
  • We can win this match :D, though we'll need to be at our best, all the players showimg up and the Anfield crowd driving us on :proud:. We need to be clinical and force the issue, attacking from the start, but having patience and making no mistakes in defence. If we make and convert our chances, whilst keeping the ball and cutting out the mistakes, I believe we can win, thoguh that's a statement of the obvious.
COME ON REDMEN!!!!!
YNWA

INJURY FRONT and SUPSENSION front for
LIVERPOOL
Bolo Zenden- Out for a month, with a knee injury or something, really harsh as he was starting to find some good form forL:iverpool, hopefully i's a quick recovery

Momo Sissoko- Out for unkonwn time, with injured retina, very serious eye injury though not as bad as first espected, hopefully he gets better though ASAP. Get well Momo.
  • NO MAJOR FIRST TEAM SQUAD INJURIES, HONEST!!!!!
(FIRST SUSTAINED PERIOD IN RAFA'S REIGN) :eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani:

THE INJURY FRONT :D:tongue:

COME ON LIVERPOOL!!!!!
YNWA

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
arfy05 said:
well crouch will probably start, he's the only striker to have scored in 2006 :frownani:
No kidding, are your attacking line really that bad? Even Drogba scored a nice goal last match.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, it is that bad, morientes last scored 13 or something games ago agaisnt middlesborough i think and Cisse's last goal was against everton if i recall. coruch's goal was agianst utd in the cup. so this is how crap our strikers have been:frownani:

but it hasnt been down to a lack of chances, the arsenal game was a clear example, we had around 20 shots on target and a notable share of possesion but only got thorugh on a late goal, it's really affecting us.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
I think we should put kewell as our left striker and fowler in his place, from what i saw, he (fowler) can cross good and kewell seems to be the only one who knows to score goals :star:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Actually I think Drogba's goal was HIS first in 2006!! :)

Back to our strikers.. Cisse hasn't scored but has barely played (and mainly that has been as a right winger or a striker with 10 minutes to go).. Moro has been a defenite concern as the chances are coming his way but he isn't finishing them off.. Crouch hasn't been the target man like Moro (except for the last game against Chalrton) so basically all his chances are headers..

I still believe our strikers can do the job.. not in the sense that they can win us the EPL with 15-20 goals per striker.. but if they get their heads right.. they can score 2 goals in one game!..

I'd expect to see Fowler start.. his energy at the start of the game is excellent and I think he gives his all (which is what we really want at the end of the day).. and that's what's pissing people off when it comes to Morientes.. it's not that he doesn't care.. but he doesn't seem that eager or hungry to go the extra mile to get the ball into the net..

I'm more interested in our midfield.. I'd go for Kewell-Xabi-Hamann-Gerrard.. Hamann has been superb as the anchor midfielder and with rumors of Hyypia injured.. we need him to support Traore and Carragher.. LG is another name that has to be taken into consideration..

All in all.. I'm expecting 'one of those night' ala vs. Roma a few years back :proud:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I get the feeling everywhere i go/read that us scousers are expecting to breeze it and the Anfield Crowd's gonna blow the ball into the net.Also Rafa's comments of "i dont think this game is especially hard, i didnt see anything in Lisbon to worry me at Anfield" dont please me, he may be right but lets not do the other managers job for him and give them further motivation.

Anyway Hyypia's fit and Garcia will be back after being rested.

·
Banned
114 Posts
if you score early on, then i am sure that you will get through..................all you need is a goal in the first 20 minutes, then you will score another in the second half and well..................that's it.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
A quick goal in the 1st half would clearly tilt things in your favor, but I'm pretty comfortable with our backline and our defensive midfielders to stay in front of Gerrard & co. I think if we can withstand the first 30 minutes of offensive push I suspect Liverpool will open the game with, we'll be OK. One road goal should be all it takes

The good news is that we have two of our more dynamic offensive players available this leg (Geovanni & Miccoli), whom we did not have available at the Luz.

Should be a good match :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This tie is finely balanced. If Liverpool can keep a clean sheet though, I think we'll go through. With the home support, surely we can score at least 1 goal??!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
we will have to use our size and aggression over the diminutive portuguese side. no fancy pants stuff; good driving football will undo them handsomely.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.