36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE
Group Stage Matchday 4

FC Bayern Munich v
SPORTING CP

Fussball Arena, Munich, 20h45 (CET), Tuesday 31.10.2006
Ref: Massimo Busacca (SWI)​

Bayern will be without Schweinsteiger (suspended), Lúcio and Podolski (both injured) but they have a bench strong enough to make for these absences.

After what happened two weeks ago in Alvalade I have no reasons to doubt of the capacity of Sporting to get a positive result from Munich. It will be surely the toughest match we'll have so far in the season but I trust in our kids! :hopefull:

I'm looking forward for it!

Força SPORTING!!! :fero:​

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In this stage one can only be good!

Transl. from A Bola

It is not decisive, but it's close to that. And in one point the Lions are right: winning in Germany, Sporting will be in excellent conditions to pass through to the 1/8 finals. How to do it?, might have asked himself Paulo Bento during the last days. With two explosive and irreverent youngsters coming back to the first XI, for example? That is a strong possibility. But whoever plays, should understand the greatness of the stage where they will be! At the Arena of Munich it seems impossible not to be good.

Marco Caneira, Custódio, Nani and Yannick Djaló seem to have the ticket assured for Sporting's first XI, after having sat on the bench on Friday, in Aveiro. The defender is the incarnation of experience, the captain synonym of solidity, the other two seem to be designed to shuffle the defensive characteristics of the superpowerful Bayern, a team with a tendency for some stiffness of movements, as it explained two days ago to A Bola a Portuguese expert on the analysis of the measurable aspects of the game.
Paulo Bento has made of rotation his trade mark. And he has been showing some originality in the construction of his teams, as well. Taking a bet, we preview that Caneira will be the right full back and Tello will stay on the left. In the midfield, to balance the squad, Custódio will return and Paredes will shift to the right side, where he faced FC Porto. Moutinho will be on the left and Nani on the upper vortex of the diamond. Yannick, with his "hot foot", will appear side by side with Liedson.

The time runs fast in this stay of the Lion in Munich. Arrived in the beginning of yesterday's afternoon, after a quiet trip from Lisbon with a charter flight that was delayed half an hour, the green and whites trained in the evening. Today they rest, eat...and play. Meanwhile, the main non-footballing faces of the group (Soares Franco, Ribeiro Teles, Carlos Freitas, Salema Garção and Maurício do Vale) will have lunch Bayern's Board.

Sporting, through the voice of its communication director, Salema Garção, left "a word of praise to the Portuguese emigrants, that have been transmiting messages of great support". It is not known if they will appear in a big number at the Arena where it is impossible to play badly. From Lisbon travelled around 100 supporters (amongst them one benfiquista). They will be few, but if the talent goes lose who knows if they will not be heard later tonight in Bavaria?

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Really upset that there's no Veloso in the starting XI if that article is indeed correct. The boy's been immense in the CL so far for Paulo Bento, and I would've hoped he could repay him here. It's not like Custodio has a world of experience over him anyhow.

Let's hope Djalo can cause some problems with his pace and trickery, and of course the Nani show to be in full effect.

Go Sporting! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FigoIsGod said:
Really upset that there's no Veloso in the starting XI if that article is indeed correct. The boy's been immense in the CL so far for Paulo Bento, and I would've hoped he could repay him here. It's not like Custodio has a world of experience over him anyhow.

Let's hope Djalo can cause some problems with his pace and trickery, and of course the Nani show to be in full effect.

Go Sporting! :thumbsup:
Cheers FIG!

I think the game against your Porto showed that the pair Custódio-Paredes works in a perfect way when playing against very attacking minded teams. It gives our midfield a defensive security that with MV on the pitch does not exist in the same way as he has the tendency to wander out of his position a bit too often for this kind of opposition. That is why I believe PB is right in chosing Custódio over Miguel Veloso.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here are the official line-ups:

SPORTING

Ricardo

Marco Caneira -- Tonel -- Anderson Polga -- Rodrigo Tello

Custódio

Paredes ---- João Moutinho

Carlos Martins

Liedson --- Yannick Djaló

Bayern Munich

Kahn
Sagnol -- De Michelis -- Van Buyten -- Lahm
Lell --- Ottl --- Salihamidzic
Pizarro -- Santa Cruz -- Makaay

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!!
:proud:​

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great first half by Sporting in Munich! I can't remember having seen Sporting so dominant while playing in Germany...we are making Portuguese proud!

If only Liedson would have been his good old self and had scored at least one of the three open goal chances he had so far :moan:

I hope Paulo Bento will bring on Nani for Carlos Martins asap because we need to win this game.

VAMOS SPORTING!!!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Sporting have been playing well, but the back 4 need to be more weary of Makaay on that left side. Yannick has given it away a few times as well, but I don't blame him because the support just wasn't there. I think Nani could make the difference for Sporting though.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great! Paulo Bento saw the light and brought in Nani for Carlos Martins at HT. :happy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts