·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VS

BENFICA----LIVERPOOL

VENUE: Estadio Da Luz

---SQUADS-----------------------------------------------------------​
Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Traore, Warnock, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Sissoko, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell, Fowler, Crouch, Morientes, Cisse, Dudek, Carson.

Benfica: Quim, Moretto, Anderson, Luisão, Léo, Alcides, Nelson, Ricardo Rocha, Petit, Karagounis, Manuel Fernandes, Beto, Karyaka, Simão, Robert, Nuno Gomes, Marcel, Mantorras
----------------------------------------------------------------------
LIVERPOOL TEAM (PROBABLE)

4-2-3-1

-------------------Reina--------------------
Finnan----Carragher--Hyypia----Riise
----------------------------------------------
----------Didi/Gerrard----Momo---------
Garcia--------Morientes-------Kewell--
---------------Cisse/Crouch---------------

or
4-4-2

------------------Reina---------------
Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia--Riise
-------------------------------------------
--------Gerrard------Momo/Didi------
Gerrard/ Garcia----------------Kewell
-------Crouch/ Cisse---Moro---------

Liverpool have recently started to regain momentum since with three positive wins and performances, the momentum needs to be continued on a permanent basis, the following run of fixtures can really shape our season, so we need to buil momentum and continuing winning. Playing away in Europe we need to be tough and take the iniative from the start, play high tempo and deadly infront of goal, step forward Luis Garcia and Robbie Fowler :proud:, Garcia returned with a winning goal and now is needed now more than ever. We need to cut out mistakes and build up on a winning run again, as we are entering a tough glut of fixtures which can swing our season. We also need to maintain our momentum and give a good account of ourselves in Europe, beating benfica will be a very big win away from home both in terms of the fixture and the momentum we can reap. The final pass and finishing needs to be worked on as well as the creative part of our game, no doubt Rafa will have spotted it and will work on this, hopefully it pays dividends on the pitch :hopefull:
  • Rafa has stated now that he has a fully fit-esque squad for a sustained period in his Anfield tenure, though Bolo is out for the season, hard luck as he was finding form. Garcia was missed, his goal presence and movement is really important for a Liverpool team who has strikers who contribute very little at this current moment :frownani:. Xabi is likely to return after injury :), this may possibly free up Kewell and Gerrard to play further forward and be deadly on the counter attack.
  • Gerrard I feel will play out wide with Didi or Momo with Xabi in the middle and two players who make the foundation solid and give the creative sparkand control the game. Garcia I think may play possibly wide right or second striker, but will always be roaming in attemtps to open the opposition defence up and getting into goalscoring positions. Also Kewell may play left midfield roaming with probably Morientes in the central deep role and all 3 exchanging positions from time to time, with Kewell possibly as left winger he now seems to be finding his fitness and form. :thumbsup:
  • The strikers are unpredicatable as always :depress:, Morientes has lost his feet and seems to become less effective game by game. When Crouch plays we focus on long balls :yuck: and the game goes by Moro, who is less effective as he cannot link play. Cisse is the unpredictable one, he can do some awesome things then miss a one on one sitter, but his pace and his enthusiasm and the fact he's the most dangerous striker suggest he should play. Fowler is our hope for goals, though his fitness isn't the best and Rafa has stated he sees Fowler as an impact player off can be vital, ass his presence and goalscoring instincts will maybe be needed.
  • The importance of a win are high, considering the competition is going into it's tough period where the stakes are high and we want to keep in touch and also gain momentum a win would allow for us to gain a psychological advantage, we had momentum and I'd love for us to sustain that again. We are doing well in UCL and we should try and maintain that:D:thumbsup: this would atleast show we're competing again. Plus after 2 legs we would advance to the quarter final of the cup, hopefully we can really challenge for the trophy.
  • A key part of us winning this match will be the defence, we have fifteen clean sheets in EPL a greater tally than what we had in EPL all last season, we should try and build upon that though we've started to make mistakes, if we cut out the defensive mistakes we can build on that as a foundation and go for the win.
  • We havent had a 5 game+ winning run for a long time prior to this season:eekani::frownani: I can't remember when we went on a major winning run last (2003?), but hopefully this can be a foundation and we can win and build momentum and go up the league.
  • We can win this match, though it will be tough and intense form the start, we need to use our experience and composure to get through this tough away game, cutting out mistakes and taking our chances whilst also maintaining ball retention would be the footsteps to us winning. If we do all these we can win, thoguh that's a statement of the obvious
COME ON REDMEN!!!!
YNWA

INJURY FRONT for
LIVERPOOL
Bolo Zenden- Out for a month, with a knee injury or something, really harsh as he was starting to find some good form forL:iverpool, hopefully i's a quick recovery

Daniel Agger- Is doubtful with a kneee injury, but is still in the squad. LEt's hope for a speedy recovery as he'll be needed towards the latter end of the season.
  • NO MAJOR FIRST TEAM SQUAD INJURIES, HONEST!!!!!
(FIRST SUSTAINED PERIOD IN RAFA'S REIGN) :eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani:

THE INJURY FRONT :D:tongue:

COME ON REDMEN!!!!!
YNWA

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ILA said:
all night :pp
:eekani: oh waiting for the "download" to finish :pp

ILA said:
Anyway, this will be a tight match. Liverpool will advance, but it'll be close on aggregate IMO.
I think it'll be close, hopefully our experience pays off and we advance.

·
Registered
42,584 Posts
arfy05 said:
:D he is becoming a favourite, his antics with "gaz" really won him brownie points. :thumbsup:
that was very amusing, neville kicked kewell, and then kewell brought down gary "busybollocks"* neville lol

*the nicknames handed out during those great rants a la liver bird, ect. are quite amusing.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ILA said:
that was very amusing, neville kicked kewell, and then kewell brought down gary "busybollocks"* neville lol

*the nicknames handed out during those great rants a la liver bird, ect. are great.
i agree some great names, liver bird's rant was tops :thumbsup:

Kewell actually got in first, he hacked neville down about 2mins in and then they were at all match.

:D:pp

·
Registered
42,584 Posts
arfy05 said:
Kewell actually got in first, he hacked neville down about 2mins in and then they were at all match.
I see...too bad I didn't see the first half, bar highlights.

Anyway, as per usual, I've dragged a topic off-topic, so back to discussion regarding Liverpool vs. Benfica :)

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ILA said:
I see...too bad I didn't see the first half, bar highlights.

Anyway, as per usual, I've dragged a topic off-topic, so back to discussion regarding Liverpool vs. Benfica :)
this is the Liverpool forum, anything can go off-topic as long as it's Liverpool related :D:pp

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Good news for me at least, ESPN are supposed to carry a live coverage of this game, at least the commercial I saw says so. If not I'll probably watch it on delay, whatever happens I wanna see the game live before I know the score. :)

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's gonna ve live on itv4 for us in the uk :D, they've gone all the way to itv4 nowadays :eekani: the real arsenal match is on itv1 and the wednesday games are on sky, who let you choose what to watch :)

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Geovanni is out for benfica who lost to guimaraes (sp?), but well now about how league results don't mean that much in UCL :)

Hopefully we get a good result in Lisbon, but it won't be easy.

COME ON REDMEN!!!!
YNWA

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Very important game, got a feeling that the dreadful away goal rule will have an effect on this tie.

Come on Liverpool! The two sets of fans will (actually SHOULD!) make this tie a memorable one :)

Apparently Momo & Didi had a brilliant game this weekend from the comments I read, hope they help us win the midfield battle and create some chances for our usually misfiring strikers (Hope Crouchie & Co. start to prove us wrong from this game!)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Think we'll do quite well in this game, draw or win imo...our midfield is overpowering other sides at the moment and I don't see anything in Benfica's middle that will see us not controlling this game. As always it'll only matter if we can finish our chances.

Interested to see if he starts with Fowler(can't play against Man City this weekend) or Morientes...think Crouch is a cert away from home. Then again Rafa mentioned playing on the counter-attack today so Cisse could be an option with Crouch.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts