Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
International
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preview from Football365:

Tottenham v Liverpool
After an annus mirabilis in 2003, the new year has begun brightly for both these under-achieving clubs. Tottenham have countered the threat of relegation with successive wins. Liverpool are unbeaten in five, and won three times in seven days last week.

Something has to give, then, and perhaps swayed by the loss of Freddie Kanoute and the return of Michael Owen, the bookies make Liverpool slight favourites.

Sympathy for the loss of Kanoute should be tempered by reminders that Spurs bought two other strikers last summer. Of the pair, Bobby Zamora appears a more obvious replacement for Kanoute than the wretched Helder Postiga.

Liverpool's renassiance has coincided with the return to fitness of the likes of Danny Murphy, Dietmar Hamann and Owen. Yet those three wins last week should not be viewed as vindication that Houllier was right to claim it was injuries, rather than inability, that derailed Liverpool's title bid. All three victories were tinged with varying degrees of good fortune. Such luck will not continue, and a more convincing performance is required at White Hart Lane if Houllier's side are to justify the rank of favourites.

For Paw's Prediction League for this match, click here.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
i think this one will be a close one, can go either way. i fancy our chances but *touch wood* we best get 3 points from this one. thankfully they are showing it on the local cable channel, i get to follow the match live :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Diouf has left for Tunisia now with Senegal so we are lacking on the right. It's difficult to predict the XI but I think it could be something like this:

--------------------------Jones---------------------------

Henchoz-------Biscan--------Hyypia---------Traore

Murphy--------Hamann------Cheyrou-------Kewell

-----------------Heskey--------Owen-----------------

Otsemobor is back fit and could come in at right-back but I can't see it happening. I reckon GH will go for a more solid defence with Henchoz and Traore getting the nod ahead of Riise and Otsemobor. Also, Smicer could come into Cheyrou's place in the centre along side Hamann.

Hasn't been any football for a week now for us so I can't wait for this one! :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
One more thing, Tottenham have Michael Brown their new signing from Sheff. Utd available today for the first time and he'll be looking to prove himself.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Not a game we usually get good results from.. but I'm certainly looking forward to it.. It's gonna be broadcasted live.. and I kinda have the feeling it'll be 4 wins out of 4 :) (Note: Just for the records, this feeling is TOTALLY different than RM's "We need to continue winning and go on a winning streak" :D)..

As RM said, the lineup is pretty much a question mark.. Jones, Hyypia, Biscan, Henchoz, Hamann, Kewell, Heskey and Owen are sure starters.. Traore or Riise at left back.. Murphy, Smicer or Cheyrou in midfield.. (2 out of the 3) unless ALT will be in the picture which I doubt..

I'd go for:

Jones (GK), Otsemebor, Henchoz, Hyypia, Traore (Defence)
Hamann, Smicer, Cheyrou and Kewell in midfield (Murphy hasn't impressed me at all)
Heskey and Owen up front..

To be honest.. Emile has played with a much improved confidence and +ve attitude in the last 2 games.. and I hope he can build on it.. whether he remains with us or leaves.. I want the lad to do well..

Owen has the perfect scenario to do well.. Spurs' crappy defence!! So I think all he has to do is keep it cool and go back to the basics and he'll find his way to the net.. what I don't want is us inviting them to attack.. cuz their attack force depends on speed.. Dalmat's quick thinking plus Keane's explosive runs are what might cause us problems..

Anyway, gotta get some work done so I can head off before the match starts :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
yep cant wait for this match basicaly i cant expect much from liverpool now,,FOr this match i expect Hyypia, Kewell, and Owen to do their right and get the points we need...

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
I expect the normal lineup.But i want Traore at fullback and Cheyrou on the right(yes i know he's a lefty).Smicers out BTW.And im not sure about Heskey upfront, that is whether he warrants it.He played well against Chelsea but wasnt that good against Villa.As i say, A average game for Heskey and Biscan gets blown out of proportion because they are poor.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
LIVERPOOL: Jones, Traore, Henchoz, Hyypia, Hamann, Kewell, Murphy, Biscan, Cheyrou, Heskey, Owen.

SUBS: Dudek, Carragher, Finnan, Riise, Le Tallec.

Thats the confirmed team.I feel Carra and Finnan are there just to make up the numbers.How poor is the above lineup :( No Pongolle :rolleyes: If he didnt play for the reserves, he might not be "burnt out".Unless he's picked up a unreported knock.

Anyway im off, half hour till' KO.

·
International
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's telling that we only have one Le Tellec as the closest we have to an option up front. Throwing Finnan and Riise in after we were 2-0 down did not sound like an inspired tactical decision to me. More like helplessness or desperation arising from the lack of squad depth.

Three points from Stamford Bridge and the world seemed like a brighter place already, but today, a defeat at White Hart Lane and I wonder how feasible that mission to get that fourth spot is now to all who are associated with the club.

Inter-Toto Cup. Here we come!

(And oh, he did that again, didn't he? Putting Biscan as Hyppia's partner in central midfield while plonking Henchoz at right back when a season or two again the H-H partnership added some strength in that area. Why on Jupiter's balls did the Toad dismantle the defensive partnership?)

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Well it looks like we won in the battle of the EPL Primadonnas.****ing disgrace that was.Spurs ! Spurs !, Thats not acceptable.No words can explain how much hatred and anger is inside me right now.Biscan that impared reject gives away a ****ing shite penalty away.He missed him first time so he hooked him with his right leg just to make sure he was down.Then he's nowhere near Postiga for his first goal of the season, Yes that turd Postiga who cant hit a Barndoor with a Bango.

2-0 down what do you do, go for the win or defend the 2-0 down scoreline.It's the latter Ladies and Gentleman. Yes that Bastard took off Biscan for Finnan and moved Henchoz into the middle where he ****en well should of been anyway.Then a straight swap of Riise on for Traore.

Jones-Not at fault and was OK.

Henchoz-Played at fullback again but did OK.

Traore-mediocre and shaky at the start.

Hyypia-Good display and didnt cost us a goal atleast.

Biscan-****en hell, I feel sorry for Biscuits because he seems clueless and innocent but he is and was terrible.It's not his fault he's continualy picked in the heart of defence and i suppose he does his best.Which isnt good enough.

Cheyrou-Showed enthusiasm and was defenately getting stuck in, doesnt compensate for an average game.

Hamann-Played well yet again but my only problem was even in the face of defeat he was passing backwards to much and it was hurting us.

Murphy-Crewe reject should get on his bike and go and play for Partick Thistle.Yet another terrible game, Poor passing, no awareness and didnt even make up for lack of quality with workrate or by getting stuck in.

Kewell-Quality goal but other than that was average.

Heskey-Did OK i think, worked hard with long balls flying at him all day.His endevour set up Kewells goal.Aswell as getting out the way of the shot.

Owen-Looks like he's dreaming of the weather in Madrid already.Didnt show much work rate, quality and im sick and tired of him waiting for the ball to magicaly go straight through the defender.I will give him time if he not match fit etc.

Riise-All he wants to do is punt it, get the ball move out wide so your in a awkward position and punt it.

Finnan looked out of sorts but it's understandable.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts