Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From BBC:

Reds boss plays down Carling Cup

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has admitted the Carling Cup is still low on his list of priorities.

The Reds play Tottenham in the quarter-finals on Wednesday and Benitez will take the opportunity to rest several first-team regulars.

"Our squad isn't big enough to use first-team players," he said.

"If we can win the Cup with the squad we have, that's great, but I have to think about the Champions League and the Premiership first."

Skipper Steven Gerrard is expected to play following his return from injury.

Spanish midfielder Antonio Nunez could make his first start for the club after making his debut as a substitute in the win over Arsenal.

The 25-year-old suffered a knee injury in only his second training session with the club after arriving in August.

"I used Nunez on Sunday bit sometimes when you are coming back you use too much energy too quickly. I was a bit worried about that," said the Liverpool boss.

"He may not be a 'galactico' but he is someone who will give us options. He needs to play now."
----------------------------------------

hmmmmm.. so Gerrard and Nunez will play.. I expect Mellor, Biscan, Dudek, Henchoz and Finnan too.. who else? Warnock? Potter?

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
hhhmm guess at the line up:

...............Dudek
Finnan...Whitbread..Henchoz...Riise
Nunez...Gerrard..Potter...Warnock
............Mellor..Sinama

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like your lineup, but mellor won't play becuase hes our only striker, I expect garcia to play behind sinama, and maybe josemi at rb instead of finnan.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Garcia is injured and I'm not sure if Josemi is back from injury yet???

Exatcly Mellor is our only fit striker along with FSP, we've got no choice but to play 'em

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Mellors gonna get ya!
Mellors gonna get ya!

Go Liverpool! :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yea ur right, I forgot all about that their horrific injuries.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Academy graduate David Raven will make his competitive first team debut tonight as Liverpool aim to book a place in the last four of the Carling Cup.
Raven, 19, will line up at right back for the Reds against Tottenham at White Hart Lane.

An unused substitute against Middlesbrough in the last round the Wirral-born defender's only previous senior appearance was in a pre-season friendly against Wrexham.

Fellow youngsters Robbie Foy and Mark Smyth are named on the bench for the first time as Benitez continues to put his faith in the club's youth policy.

Team in full: Dudek, Raven, Warnock, Henchoz, Whitbread, Biscan, Diao, Nunez, Potter, Mellor, Pongolle. Subs - Kirkland, Welsh, Smyth, Foy, Partridge.
About what I expected, can't believe we've got to put up with Diao in the side ggggrrr I would of started Welsh infront of him

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
nah diao needs games to make him work for his wages.

not caring too much about the carling cup but its' a good place for the youngesters to show themselves off. goodluck you reds

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes!!!! We win after Penalty shootout and will be meeting Watford in the semi...

More reason to use the youngster....Rafa rulez!!!!

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
WONDERFUL win, just WONDERFUL. Followed it on BBC LIVE, we grew stronger by the minute towards the end, the young boys worked their hearts out and Dudek kept us in the game. When defoe scored and all seemed lost, FSP slotted the penalty and won the game in penalty shootout. But i missed the penalty shootout because i had to write a Final. What a boost for the youngsters. WALK ON RAFA and the REDS!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Didn't get to see the match (living in a college dorm in America isn't the best place to get to watch Carling Cup Matches, unfortunately) but looking at what I've read about the match I hope this helps Dudek to get back his starting spot for the 1st team. Great to see Pongolle netting the PKs as well!

-Scott

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HI everyone..

It's a quarter to 5 in the morning.. and I just finished watching a rerun of the game..

Excellent performance by the 'kids'.. Of course there are lots of improvement areas.. but the experience gained and the work and effort they put in was superb..

For those who didn't see the match.. the lineup was: Dudek, Raven, Henchoz, Whitbread, Warnock, Nunez (sub: Smyth), Diao (sub: Partridge), Biscan, Potter, Pongolle, Mellor (sub: Welsh)

Tottenham fielded a side with youth and experience.. Robinson, Ledley King, Kanoute, R. Keane, Brown, Pamarot and Carrick plus Defoe and Mendez as subs.. while the young players like Ricketts, Gardner and Zeigler got a run too..

The first half was one way action.. Dudek and our defence worked really well and Dudek made the save of the game from a Keane shot.. I don't think we had a shot on goal all through the half

The second half saw us coming with ideas.. and giving Spurs a scare or two.. Keane was denied again by Dudek.. Buta performance that has to be mentioned for Salif Diao.. he's been one of the underacheivers.. and today played really well.. bossed the midfield in a way that I expected Biscan to do..

Spurs took the lead well into extra time.. Kanoute broke the off side trap to cross for Defoe to score in the 108th minute.. I thought it was game over..

But the lads gave it all they had.. and after a horrific injury to Biscan where the side of his face (and chin) smacked the edge of one of the ad boards.. we won a corner.. and Kanoute for some reasoned handled.. Sinama Pongolle cooly slotted in from the spot on 114 minutes..

The match went to penalties as follows:
Defoe..scored................Henchoz..scored
Carrick..scored...............Partridge..scored
Kanoute..Dudek saved.....Potter..Robinson tipped the ball to the post
Brown..over the bar........Welsh..scored
Zeigler..scored...............Sinama..scored

Next are Watford in the semis.. while Chelski take on Manure in the other semi..

My MoM.. our captian for the day.. Jerzy Dudek
Notable performances were Diao and I was impressed by Potter's passing..

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Benitez praises young Cup heroes

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez was delighted with his young team after their Carling Cup win over Tottenham.

"I'm pleased for me, the fans and the lads," he said. "I thought we played very well, not so well in the first half but for the rest of the match."

Florent Sinama Pongolle converted two penalties, one in the shoot-out.

"The first one was real pressure as it was the last five minutes of the game and I changed my mind at the last minute with the second," he said.

"This result is good for the team and for me as well."

John Welsh, who scored Liverpool's third spot-kick, said: "Probably some of the lads would not have fancied me taking one as I have missed some penalties in my time.

"But as soon as I put the ball on the spot I knew what I was going to do. I hit it and hoped for the best."

Benitez was full of praise for his young side but added that he would wait and see how fit his first-team players were when the semi-finals are played in January.

"We have a lot of tired players and we will wait and see nearer the time," he said.

"It depends on the players at the time of the games but I still have the same idea as when I arrived. My priorities are the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup.

"I don't want to win the Carling Cup and finish 10th in the Premiership. I want to finish in the top four and win more things."

Benitez was delighted with his side's confidence in the penalty shoot-out.

He added: "I was not surprised. For the future of the club it is important to have young players playing this kind of game. It will give them more experience and they will remember this situation."

Benitez was also pleased with Pongolle's contribution from the penalty spot.

Liverpool are in the midst of a striker crises but Pongolle's two spot-kicks will give Benitez more options.

He added: "It was important for him to score. Against Arsenal Neil Mellor played well and now Pongolle has scored two important goals. It gives me more options in attack now."

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Not a bad result, do you guys think we can win it? I know it's not the most important trophy but it would be interesting if we managed to reach the final and beat either Man Utd or Chelsea, but to say the truth I would bet on Chelsea winning it, Mourinho is dead serious about winning it and looking at his squad, even his reserves look strong and convincing enough to win it, nevertheless, good luck to our young players :proud:

BRING ON WATFORD!
COME ON REDS! :boxing:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
play some more youngsters against watford but solidify with some good first teamers,
and then play a pretty full strength squad in the FINAL is my call.

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Just saw the highlights and I can't believe how Spurs wasted all those chances, Dudek's saves were crucial and brilliant though in my opinion, but Kanoute's handball was stupid, should not have been there in the first place, thus I feel we were somewhat lucky in this game, but our RESERVES were playing vs. a full-strength Spurs side, credit to them for keeping them at bay throughout the match despite their dominane :)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Great game from the kids, the icing on the cake after the Arsenal win.

David Raven was immense at right back as was Zak Whitbread at center back, I can't help but think one of these should be given a run in the first team...

BTW Stephane Henchoz's penalty cool as a cucumber:D, pitty it wont count as his first ever competitive goal for Liverpool.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yasir said:
The second half saw us coming with ideas.. and giving Spurs a scare or two.. Keane was denied again by Dudek.. Buta performance that has to be mentioned for Salif Diao.. he's been one of the underacheivers.. and today played really well.. bossed the midfield in a way that I expected Biscan to do..
I beg to differ about Diao Yasir, nothing malicious however. It's just he frustrates me more nowdays when he's ACTUALLY getting games on merit in the training field. To me he didn't really boss the midfiled, Biscan and Welsh did. For the 40-50 minutes Welsh played, he held up the ball well in the final third of the midfiled, looked like to be getting some kind of understading going with Sinama, and managed to create space and opportunity to get 3 shots on goal for himself, while at the same time, providing some outlet for us to trouble the Spurs defence. So was Biscan. I wasn't a fan of him 2 seasons back, but hsi performances under Rafa has changed my mind a little. He may be a little slow compared to Gerrard, Welsh, Alonso and many others, but one thing that is evident from his game is that he has the right ideas in his head. The only thing that doesn't make him really outstanding is that his a bit clumsy on the ball. During the whole of this match Biscan managed to offer some outlet for attacks in the final third of the pitch, and he did try a few flowing one-twos with Potter early in the match, and set up Diao's skewed shot late in the second half, not to mention a through pass for Sinama who took a little too long to get a shot in.

Diao on the other hand, didn't really impose a physical presence in the middle of the park, and was really2 wastefull with his distribution. Everytime he has the ball, I fell like he's either going to lose it by playing a bad pass or to a tackle. Looking back at the match, there were many times Diao's passes upfield didn't reach it's target, or was read. Not to mention he takes too many touches of the ball everytime he recieves a pass from a team mate.

I used to defend Diao in the past (in other LFC forums around the net) because I feel he has sth to offer, but now when he finally gets his chance on merit (plus a little bit of luck with the injuries), he has reallly disappointed me. It was Biscan who did what I expected Diao would.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
then I think we agree to disagree Karrma :)

As much as Diao gets on my nerves.. I felt he was one of the main reasons we went in at HT and FT at 0-0.. he never stopped running.. and was able to intercept the ball or make a decisive challenge in numerous accounts.. much better than the lazy no-brainer who we've seen playing every now and then.. I think Biscan improved his performance at the end of the 2nd half and in extra time.. and agree Welsh put in an encouraging performance (although I think they yellow card was harsh.. on of the rare mistakes by Mr. Barry who was excellent)

Now.. IF we reach the final.. should Rafa go with stars or kids? I mean, if he's really interested in winning it.. he'll field the stars.. Mourinho is fiddling with his squad.. but end of the day.. the team that played Fulham had Cudicini, Carvalho, Glen Johnson, Terry, Makelele, Duff, Robben, Drogba, Smertin, Joe Cole and Scott Parker in it.. not your usual 'reserves'.. especially with Lampard coming in later on..

I think Man U will get serious in the semis against Chelsea.. The Slur doesn't want to lost to Mourinho.. plus Man U played some of their second string (not kids) against Arsenal.. and Fergie made it clear he wants to go to Cardiff and win it (in the post match interview)

On the other hand.. u'd feel it's kinda unfair that the kids do their best and huff and puff to get us to Cardiff only to be not selected then :) (a more emotional look at the subject :))

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I think play the kids all the way through, like you said it's only fair seeming as they did all the huffing and the puffing and to be fair if we were to get to the final, we'd still be underdogs even if we played our full strength side so give the kids there moment of glory- maybe have a strong bench, just in case.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts