Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two unlucky draws (FC Porto and Beira-Mar) it's time to get back on winning ways. It will not be easy as Sporting de Braga showed this Thursday in the UEFA Cup that they are back in good shape after the disaster with Nacional.

In our squad there is already one thing apparently sure...

Swedish player may assume the place of Paredes in the first XI

FARNERUD: «FC Porto is the main rival»

Transl. from Record

Pontus Farnerud may assume the place of the injured Carlos Paredes in Paulo Bento's XI for the match against Sp. Braga, in Alvalade. Back to the team, the Swede expressed in a press conference his idea about the main opponents of the Lions in the League. "FC Porto is at this point the strongest team as they are the leaders", said Farnerud.

"Benfica is recovering little by little and lost the last game (with the Dragons). But I think that FC Porto will be hardest opponent until the end", he added.

Monday's game with the team from Braga "will be very hard" according to the Nordic player. "I saw yesterday the match between Sp. Braga and Liberec and they played very well. It will be complicated, but we'll not be afraid and we'll go for it to win".

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
SPORTING v Sporting de Braga:
A legendary match, filled with curiosities and (many) goals

by Pedro Hélder Maia
Transl. from www.sporting.pt

Sporting hold a remarkable advantage in the games where they hosted Sp. Braga for the Portuguese League. The mark of 86% of positive results for the Lions is impressive, but even more remarkable is the average of three goals scored per match.
The first game between these two teams was even quite even. It took place on January 1st 1948, and the Lions won 3-2, with a brace from Jesus Correia and a goal by Vasques. In the first ten matches, Sporting always won, with a special note for the 8-0 in 50/51 (the biggest score difference ever). In that match, on January 12th 1951, the midfielder Canário, then already a veteran of 32 years of age, was the man of the match, scoring three goals. The others were made by Jesus Correia, Travassos, Albano, Martins and an own goal of a Braga player.

The first of four wins by the men from Braga happened on the 2nd round of 58/59 4-3, on a game where the Argentine Diego scored his first goal (of a total of 62) with the Lion on his chest. Braga repeated the "joke" in 83/84, 95/96 and 2000/01, always by the minimum score.
Besides the biggest ever difference of goals on a match (already mentioned), Sporting obtained other "fat" wins during the reception of the "bracarenses": 6-1 in 52/53 (a brace of Vasques, Albano e Martins), 6-1 in 60/61 (hat-trick of Figueiredo plus a goal each by Lino, Diego and Faustino), 5-0 in 65/66 (hat-trick by Lourenço, one of Peres and Figueiredo), 6-0 in 67/68 (hat-trick by Marinho, a brace of Lourenço and one of Leitão), 5-0 in 77/78 (hat-trick by Jordão, one of Keita and Ailton – his first goal for Sporting), 6-2 in 82/83 (2 by Jordão and one by Oliveira, Manuel Fernandes, Carlos Xavier and Lito) and 8-1 in 84/85 (hat-trick by Manuel Fernandes, a brace by Oliveira and one by Mário Jorge, Eldon and Jordão).

A few other trivia, besides those already mentioned, are linked with this match: on the 9th of January 1955, debuted for Sporting the Congolese forward Léon Mokuna, nicknamed "the net ripper" for the extreme violence of his shot. The debut was fortunate, as the Lions won 5-2 and the striker scored for the first time (he would eventually score 19 goals in the two seasons in Alvalade). On 6th of September 1969, it was the attacking midfielder Nélson Fernandes to debut, on the 1st round of the League. The Lions won 4-0, and the new striker scored twice. Nélson stayed for seven seasons in Sporting, obtaining a total of 83 goals.

On the game of September 5th, 1981, on a 3-1 Sporting victory, the phenomenal Oliveira made his 1st official goal for the Lions, the same thing happening with the young striker Alberto. But if in the case of the Northerner that was the first of 43 goals wearing green and white, Alberto never scored again. At the 15th round of 98/99, Duscher and Rui Jorge scored for the first time for Sporting, in official matches (victory by 4-1). The great Argentine midfielder was two seasons in Sporting, with a total of six goals, whereas the consistent left back stayed for seven seasons in Alvalade, scoring a total of five goals. The match for the 8th round of 99/2000 also brought some curious facts. For a start, Sporting won 2-0, on the way to the title. The Italian winger De Franceschi scored for the first time (he only stayed one season in Sporting, where he obtained three goals), but the most striking event was the fact that Iordanov (one of the foreign players more loved by the sportinguistas) have made the last of his 70 goals for the Lions in his 10 years at the club. Finally, the game of February 16th, 2003 would end up in history as the last victory of Sporting at the 2nd generation José Alvalade Stadium. Jardel made a brace.

Last year's game was the last of the season. Sporting needed to win to book a direct passage to the Champions League of this season. João Moutinho made the solitary goal of the match.

Manuel Fernandes, with 13 goals, is the best sportinguista scorer ever in the history of this match. He is followed by Vasques, with 10 and Jordão, with 9. From the current squad, João Moutinho was the only one to score.

SCORES of SPORTING v Sp.Braga
for the Portuguese League

47/48 – 3-2 81/82 – 3-1
48/49 – 4-0 82/83 – 6-2
49/50 – 5-2 83/84 – 1-2
50/51 – 8-0 84/85 – 8-1
51/52 – 4-0 85/86 – 4-0
52/53 – 6-1 86/87 – 2-1
53/54 – 2-0 87/88 – 2-1
54/55 – 5-2 88/89 – 2-0
55/56 – 4-2 89/90 – 0-0
57/58 – 3-0 90/91 – 3-0
58/59 – 3-4 91/92 – 4-2
59/60 – 4-0 92/93 – 2-0
60/61 – 6-1 93/94 – 2-0
64/65 – 3-1 94/95 – 3-1
65/66 – 5-0 95/96 – 0-1
66/67 – 0-0 96/97 – 1-0
67/68 – 6-0 97/98 – 1-1
68/69 – 3-0 98/99 – 4-1
69/70 – 4-0 99/00 – 2-0
75/76 – 4-1 00/01 – 1-2
76/77 – 4-1 01/02 – 2-2
77/78 – 5-0 02/03 – 2-0
78/79 – 2-0 03/04 – 2-0
79/80 – 2-1 04/05 – 0-0
80/81 – 1-1 05/06 – 1-0

TOTAL
50 Games

40 wins of SPORTING
6 Draws
4 wins of Sp. Braga

154 Goals for SPORTING – 3,1 av.
37 Goals for Sp. Braga – 0,7 av.

SPORTING – 86%
Sp. Braga – 14%

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Should be a fantastic game, I can't wait for this one. Nice little appetizer before the Porto game. :lick:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but if there is a main meal in this round, this is the one. Porto's game is a mere dessert. :smileani:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
For you maybe! Braga - Sporting are like some lapas grelhadas before my meal. They're damn good, but still just an appetizer. :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your game is nothing but a pastel de nata...sem canela. :neutral:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although Paulo Bento still haven't announced the list of players called for this match I have a hint that he might present the following starting line-up...

PS: Gein: Thanks for the cool graphics :)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Wouldn't Nani and Moutinho be in each other's positions instead?

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FigoIsGod said:
Wouldn't Nani and Moutinho be in each other's positions instead?
Yes, they could but this option that I've picked has been used more often by PB lately. To be honest, these two are so mobile that they swap positions very often during the game, so this is just one of the many possibilities.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Nor do I, for what it's worth.

It seems like he only sees five feet around him, not a very good "mover" of the ball for the team IMO. Then again, I don't like Tello either.

I don't see the harm in playing Custodio/Veloso behind Moutinho, Martins, and Nani, then Liedson and Djalo up front. For me, that's the ideal Sporting.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FigoIsGod said:
Nor do I, for what it's worth.

It seems like he only sees five feet around him, not a very good "mover" of the ball for the team IMO. Then again, I don't like Tello either.
I honestly haven't seen enough of him playing to be able to give a valid opinion about his qualities but apparently a couple of half games are enough for him to be judged by the fans of other clubs. Amazing.

FigoIsGod said:
I don't see the harm in playing Custodio/Veloso behind Moutinho, Martins, and Nani, then Liedson and Djalo up front. For me, that's the ideal Sporting.
That is perhaps the ideal Sporting if the opposition we are facing is one of those that come to Alvalade with the sole intention of grabbing a megre point, such as the likes of União de Leiria, Pacos de Ferreira or Jesualdo's Porto.

Carlos Martins is not good enough defensively and he is a liability when facing tougher opposition. He costed us the goal in the game home against Bayern and with it probably the continuation in this season's UCL.

Miguel Veloso has been brilliant as a DM but he has the tendency to wander off from his "trinco" position too often. That's OK when we play against defensive minded teams but not good enough against more aggressive squads.

The choice upfront between Yannick and Alecs depends on the physicality of the defensive backline that we are facing.

The starting line-up I posted before is the one I feel PB will use and not the one I would prefer to see him using. That one is as follows:

Why Miguel Veloso in the left side of the midfield diamond? Because during his formation as a player he was very used to play in the left wing and with a very attacking Tello it is important to have a good cover on that flank.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paulo Bento leaves Carlos Martins out:
Midfielder will not face Sp. Braga by option

Transl. from Record

The absence of Carlos Martins, by technical option (joining thus Miguel Garcia and Ronny) is the main highlight of Paulo Bento's call regarding the reception of Sp. Braga.

If it was already known the unavailabilty of the injured Carlos Paredes, the entries of João Alves and Carlos Bueno change the set in comparison with the team present in Munich for the Champions League.

List of players called:

Goalkeepers:
Ricardo and Tiago.

Defenders: Anderson Polga, Marco Caneira, Tonel, Miguel Veloso and Abel.

Midfielders: Rodrigo Tello, João Alves, Nani, Farnerud, Custódio, João Moutinho and Romagnoli.

Forwards: Bueno, Alecsandro, Yannick Djaló and Liedson.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the official line-up of Sporting for the game that just started...

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!! :fero:​

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GOOOOOOOOLO!!!!

1-0 at 12' an own goal with the back of the head of Luís Filipe :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Caneira is out injured. Abel comes in at 35'.

Hopefully it's nothing serious.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts