Xtratime Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Is it just me or did Ricardo not look overly happy? They showed Carlos Martins pumping his fists and jumping around after the PK save, while Ricardo sat there quiet.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FigoIsGod said:
Is it just me or did Ricardo not look overly happy? They showed Carlos Martins pumping his fists and jumping around after the PK save, while Ricardo sat there quiet.
It must be you because I saw Ricardo giving a huge hug to Rui as soon as the game was over. Apart from that I've read that he was right until the kick off for this game talking with Rui probably giving him advice for the game.

Ricardo did not start because he came with pain on his thigh from the NT match. There is no need to find problems where they don't exist.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Ah, I didn't stick around after the game, went to go check on my bifanas which turned out bad anyways. :(

Any chance Rui gets more starts or back to Ricardo you think? Of course the Inter game I expect Ricardo, but I mean the "easier" games of the league.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
Lucjy win for Sporting and even my grandmother will had defend that penalty.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
kleber said:
Lucjy win for Sporting and even my grandmother will had defend that penalty.
I don't think it was lucky at all. Only team that was lucky this weekend was Benfica in that they were lucky not to get whipped by Braga by even more goals. Now THAT was an embarassment.

Maritimo got some chances as they are fast on the counter-attack, but Sporting always looked in control in my opinion.

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
FigoIsGod said:
I don't think it was lucky at all.

Maritimo got some chances as they are fast on the counter-attack, but Sporting always looked in control in my opinion.
Maritimo miss a 100 per cent chance to score before Tello goal.

Fist half belong to Sporting,second half no.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
FigoIsGod said:
Ah, I didn't stick around after the game, went to go check on my bifanas which turned out bad anyways. :(

Any chance Rui gets more starts or back to Ricardo you think? Of course the Inter game I expect Ricardo, but I mean the "easier" games of the league.
I think that Paulo Bento's post-match interview answers your question very clearly.

He said that Rui Patrício was very much aware that he has his chance this time only because the first and second keepers of Sporting were injured and that he still had an enormous margin of progression on his career and on his game. Meaning with this that he should not expect to get much more playing time in this league.

Perhaps he might be able to play a game or two in the Cup.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
kleber said:
Maritimo miss a 100 per cent chance to score before Tello goal.

Fist half belong to Sporting,second half no.
That's true, but Sporting entirely dominated the first half and if it wasn't for Bueno and for their keeper we should be easily at least 2-0 up by half time.
The 2nd half was more balanced but Sporting was always the best team on the pitch. The ref almost managed to steal us a deserved win with that invented penalty but we had a great keeper saving it.

Now I suggest that you go back to your club's forum and chat with your colleague supporters about the great display of your team's keeper. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I didn't stick around after the final whistle.

Whatever Bento says, I agree with. He seems great in handling the kids. I disagree with his decision on Veloso but watch him play a great game against Inter and prove me wrong of course. :pp He seems to understand the pressures and work load of the boys, and handles it superbly.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
FigoIsGod said:
Yeah, like I said, I didn't stick around after the final whistle.

Whatever Bento says, I agree with. He seems great in handling the kids. I disagree with his decision on Veloso but watch him play a great game against Inter and prove me wrong of course. :pp He seems to understand the pressures and work load of the boys, and handles it superbly.
Even if Miguel Veloso doesn't play against Inter I think he was right as we've seen that he was not missed in this game. Tonel was physically well again, Polga was probably the Man of the Match and Custódio had a good game too.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Yeah, Polga went for some runs forward too. I never knew his dribbling ability was that good! But I guess when you're Brazilian, it's in your blood.

I think it would be an injustice not to start Veloso against Inter after his performance against them the first time. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
FigoIsGod said:
Yeah, Polga went for some runs forward too. I never knew his dribbling ability was that good! But I guess when you're Brazilian, it's in your blood.
It's pathetic to see Luisão being called ahead of Polga for the Brazilian NT but that's not the only weird call by Dunga :rollani:

FigoIsGod said:
I think it would be an injustice not to start Veloso against Inter after his performance against them the first time. Just my opinion.
You know very well that those are two very different games. The coming match is absolutely decisive and Inter is now in much better form than they were 2 months ago when we played them in Alvalade. Paulo Bento should choose the players he feels are more suitable to win that game and not pick them according to what they've done against the same opponent two months ago.

I also like Miguel Veloso's style very much but he will have loads of other occasions to show his skills again for us.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Lion...lion Eagle...peacock

by Santos Neves
Translated from A Bola

Marítimo was coming from three consecutive wins - one of them in Braga...and by 4-1! -, they were dreaming to be able to get the 3rd place on their own and the game was in Funchal.

But Sporting imposed itself, even against a ghost penalty. We saw the guts and the consistence of the lion, enormous virtues exactly at the image of what Paulo Bento was as a footballer and by him, young coach, instilled on the team since the middle of the last season.

Competitive guts and consistence, more than occasional explosions of sublime talent, are the dough that champions are made of. Without that solid base, it is worth nothing for a team to go on claiming to be a candidate to win the league, as that is nothing but fiction.

This weekend confirmed the abyss that is separating Benfica and Sporting in the crucial...attitude. One goes on playing word games... - and it is not visible that they learn with their huge blunders (7 defeats this season suffering 3 goals!). The other is getting things done with acts: rolls up the sleeves and goes on winning. A Lion decided to be one. An example of that decisive difference: Liedson, who is not in good form, does not score, but works endlessly.

-------------------------------------

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Portuguese League 2006/07
10th Round

Estádio dos Barreiros, Funchal (8.000 att.)
19th November 2006
19:15 (local time)
Ref: Bruno Paixão (Setúbal)

Marítimo 0-1 SPORTING
(Rodrigo Tello 63')

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Marítimo - Marcos; Gregory, Von Schwedler, Evaldo; Wênio, Olberdam (Neca 83'), Marcinho; Zé Gomes (Lipatin 77'), Filipe Oliveira, Kanu and Luís Olim (Moukouri 77').

Subs not used: Fábio, Briguel, Milton do Ó, Fahel.
Coach: Ulisses Morais

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING - Rui Patrício; Abel, Tonel, Anderson Polga, Rodrigo Tello; Custódio, Carlos Martins (Paredes 72'), João Moutinho, Nani (Marco Caneira 90+2'); Bueno (Alecsandro 61') and Liedson.

Subs not used: Ricardo, Miguel Garcia, Ronny, Farnerud.
Coach: Paulo Bento

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Booked: Carlos Martins (SCP 5'), Wênio (CSM 33'), Von Schwedler (CSM 42'), Nani (SCP 70'), Anderson Polga (SCP 76'), João Moutinho (SCP 90+2').
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The post before this one, translated from an article written by one of the veterans of the unsuspected A Bola, sums up pretty well what Sporting has been showing so far and also what has been missing to all but one of our opponents in this league: guts and consistence. Once again that happened yesterday in Funchal and for the first time ever we managed to beat the two teams from Madeira away in the same season.

Marítimo coming from three consecutive wins never showed enough arguments to contradict our supremacy and although once again we did not show a good percentage of use of the several goal chances created, we still did more than enough to justify the three points.

Amazing stuff by the ref transforming a foul, at least one metre outside the box into a penalty (!!!) and even more amazing the coolness of the kid Rui Patrício that replaced the slightly injured Ricardo...

GRANDE RUI!!! :happy:

Apart from the overall good performance of the team the highlights go to the very good game, once again, by Anderson Polga, Rodrigo Tello (golazo!) and the great first half by Carlos Martins.

Now it's time for the crunch game of Wednesday in San Siro that will decide our future in the Champions League but no matter what will be the result there I am sure these kids will honour Sporting and Portugal once again! :proud:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts