Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 days after our battle with Bolton, we will be going after Man City and three points in stall. No match previews yet but I reckon Kirkland will be out and Dudek reinstated between the posts. Pongolle was pulled out early in the Bolton game so he could be fresher for this one, I suppose. I certainly hopes he starts.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
At least we have the best understudy in the world to fall back on- Dudek is a wonderfully talented keeper and when on form is in the top three keepers in the league. His games in the 01/02 proved that and he was MOTM in Cardiff. Although I'd prefer to have Kirkland fit, I have every faith in Dudek and so do the defenders.

I hope we go with the same outfield players as we did against Bolton as they are the form players and Heskey and Diouf could have an impact from the bench if we're in trouble. The defence is looking much more secure now we have decent, natural full backs, plus Hyypia and Biscan have been on pretty good form recently.

It'll be nice to see some of the old boys again but we shouldn't show them any mercy... they're down at the moment (no wins in ten) if we go at the from the very start I could see us getting an early goal. We're three points off fourth place with a game in hand and all the teams above us bar Newcastle have tough matches. By my calculations is would take a minor miracle to be in 4th by the end of the day but if we take the three points we could expect us to go up about three places to 6th. :)

--------------------------------------

BBCi Match Preview

Manchester City will be without Joey Barton, who is suspended.

Striker Paolo Wanchope is sidelined for eight to 10 weeks because he requires a cartilage operation.

Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland is sidelined for at least a month after breaking a finger and he will be replaced by Jerzy Dudek.

John Arne Riise and Steven Gerrard picked up knocks in Friday's win over Bolton but are expected to be fit.

Man City (from): Seaman, Jihai, Sommeil, Dunne, Distin, Wright-Phillips, McManaman, Reyna, Fowler, Anelka, Sibierski, Macken, Tarnat, Sinclair, Ellegaard, Berkovic, Wiekens, Tiatto, Bosvelt.

Liverpool (from): Dudek, Otsemobor, Biscan, Hyypia, Henchoz, Riise, Traore, Diouf, Murphy, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell, Le Tallec, Heskey, Sinama-Pongolle, Luzi, Welsh, Cheyrou.

--------------------------------------

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Maybe I have a short memory but when was the last time we had a good run of results? It's certainly about time we win two matches in a row and what a game we're looking forward to. Man City are coming into this match after 10 (!) winless matches, and KK can't afford himself to let another game go. If they lose this one he may well quit/get the sack. How ironic it would be if Liverpool was the team that got KK sacked.... ;)

On the other hand City are still a good team waiting to show their real skill and this is what I am afraid of, with the likes of Macca, Fowler, Anelka, Sinclair etc etc. in their side and at their home ground they're certainly capable of beating our very unpredictable team. This is a true test for us, hopefully Kewell and Pongolle keep up their good form from Friday.

Prediction: Man City 1 (Fowler) Liverpool 2 (Kewell, Pongolle)

:)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi guys..

From what I just read.. all the ex-Liverpool players at Man C are playing (Fowler, Anelka and Macca).. and get ready for this..

Heskey starts instead of FSP!! :eek:

Here's hoping for the best!! :stuckup:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Looks like Anelka really likes to score against us...1:0 City thanks to a penalty by him. Also Henchoz substituted Otsemobor, probably due to an injury. (another one...)

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
HT report.Pongolle has been dropped and Heskey is starting.We deserve to lose.Or Houllier does anyway.

Nicolas Anelka's penalty has given Manchester City a 1-0 interval lead against Liverpool at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Liverpool have struggled to get to grips with their first encounter at City's new home and can consider themselves fortunate to be just the one goal behind at the break.

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler was presented with the first chance of the match after eight minutes when he blasted narrowly over Jerzy Dudek's goal with a well driven shot.

And just a minute later Fowler had another golden chance when the ball fell nicely for him in the box, but he scuffed his shot with the goal at his mercy.

City - without a win in their last ten games - dominated the opening stages as they pinned Liverpool back in their own half and created a stream of chances.

Nicolas Anelka was denied a shooting chance by a fine tackle from Sami Hyypia and then Shaun Wright Phillips blasted well wide when well placed within range of Dudek's goal.

Liverpool were forced into a change after 27 minutes when Stephane Henchoz replaced the injured Jon Otsemobor.

And things got worse for the Reds just a couple of minutes later when referee Mike Riley handed the home side a penalty after John Arne Riise was adjudged to have held onto Robbie Fowler inside the area.

Nicolas Anelka, who had wasted a gilt edged chance just seconds earlier, made no mistake from the spot to give the home side a deserved lead.

Liverpool - one good drive from Danny Murphy in stoppage time apart - haven't created a chance worthy of the name in the opening 45 minutes. Let's hope things improve after the break.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Halftime, 1:0. Newcastle lost 1:0 at home to Blackburn, we must be really stupid if we don't take advantage of this result... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
1-1 Smicer, now grab another goal please

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Goal Hamann! :happy: Thank you Didi! :D

Now just keep the lead :)

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Fulltime, 2:1. :) Important 3 points gained. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Forget what I said, the game ended 2-2 and not 2-1 like certain websites wanted me to think. Apparently Robbie Fowler equalised in injurytime...

great :(

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Heskey lost possesion in defence :mad: Anelka crosses or shoots Dudek fumbles/deflects to Fowler who scores with the last kick of the game and quite rightly laughs in Houlliers face along with Anelka.

Heskey, Dudek and Houllier out.And this isnt a rash call.There all idiotic.

I was following the whole game on chat where there was touch by touch commentary and this is demorilising.I wont be able to get to sleep.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Post-match conferance.Houllier blames fixture congestion :rolleyes:, Heskey for not clearing(rightly so) and says he's happy with a point as we have a game in hand.

Everyone says the Fowler was offside.We will have to wait and see.Poor performance and Biscan got MOTM :eek: Also Gerrard(injured) subbed at 60 mins for El-Hadgi 10m pounds down the drain.

Apparantly Heskey should have cleared it and the whistle would have blown with ball near Seamans goal but he tryed to hold onto it or something.Dudek the bundle of nerves Fecks up again.To bad Kirkland is an Injury prone ponce.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Didn't go to the game so I can't comment much appart from what I heard on the radio, but they said Dudek kept in the match during the first half and if it wasn't for him we would have been down and out.

It's a b*tch to concede a goal with the last kick of the game when we were so close to the three points after a brilliant second half performance and to one of our own as well. :mad: Then again, by the sounds of things we were lucky to still be in the match at half-time after a dreadful effort, and I would have definitely taken a point then.

Of the results today, three out of the four that were going to have an effect on us went well for us. Birmingham, Fulham and surpisingly, Newcastle all lost and we moved up to 6th. Moving up three places with a draw shows how tight the league is at the moment and we can skip upto fifth with a win over Fulham. It's a bit of a damning criticism of our season to say this but, Arsenal will do us a favour if they beat Southampton tomorrow. :(

We're playing rags and riches in our next two games with Yeovil and Chelsea... Owen and Finnan are set to return against Yeovil and we should show them no mercy. Looking forward to the Chelsea game and they're looking quite vulnerable at the moment.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Chelsea won 3-0. I think their last 2 weeks form is just a minor blip caused by too many defensive reshuffles. Once Gallas comes back, they should look good again.

Basicially, its a league of two teams. The top 3 and the rest taking points off each other.... After Christmas, there still hasn't been a breakaway pack from the rest....

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Looks like the players that houllier sold are coming back to haunt him. Berger,anelka and now fowler.

What on earth is this guy thinking on playing the donkey instead of pongolle. its like he wants liverpool to fail, and then blames it on someone or some other reason. He has made liverpool into a midtable team, who cant seem to win 2 games in a row. This is sad, and thats coming from a United fan.

·
International
1,878 Posts
Erm... So what's new? Shankly telling us that he actually is alive and he discovered the fountain of youth?

Alll hail the new successor to Tottenham Hotspurs!

Inter Toto Cup! Here we come!

Oh, by the way, what could we do with Anelka or Fowler still on our books? And er, is a fit Heskey actually better than an overweight Fowler?

Oh yes! Houllier's the best!
Fixture congestion? My A.R.S.E.!

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I can surely say I'm gutted at losing 2 points in the final second..

But I can't believe how some of us have lost faith in Dudek! (In this case it's KOTK).. From what I read, Dudek was what kept us in the match till the start of the second half.. where we finally woke up and decided to have a go at City.. but cuz he couldn't keep hold of one cross.. he's idiotic? Maybe it's just me cuz I was a keeper in my high school and university days.. but I believe that this is simply harsh criticism.. I'd go shake his hand and say thanks for letting us hang in there for that 1st half.. after all, he was dropped.. and it's clear he didn't return cuz the manager had some new faith in him.. it's cuz the other keeper got injured.. how morale boosting is that! :rollani: IMO, Dudek is still our No. 1 keeper.. Kirky is VERY good.. but still shows inexperience in some of his decisions like coming out of the box.. that lunge at Robert in the Newcastle game as an example.. and his reaction after it nearly put us in deeper trouble.. Not saying he's not good.. I just think he's still not the finished product.. and till he is.. Dudek is my No. 1 keeper.. he just needs to build up confidence again..

Good to hear about Smicer and Hamann scoring.. I kinda expected it to be a scorcher from a distance.. Didi isn't the type to score either a tap in OR a header :D

I think Owen and Finnan should be rested against Yeovil.. same to Gerrard too.. The last thing I want to hear is one of them re-aggrivating an injury or picking a new one in that tie!! especially with the Chelsea game coming up.. I'd say Owen or Finnan should get a stroll in during the second half.. when all the excitement of the game would have kinda died down and we SHOULD have ended the game..

As for Heskey.. I believe I'm out of comments for Emile.. Not only does he NOT help us offensively.. He screws us defensively!!! :skull: :mad: Still shocked at him starting ahead of FSP.. :groan:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Hi Yaz! How are you and Joo! :)

I am not sure of we should be gutted or thankful.

Most sites are in agreement that City should have 1 more penalty awarded against us and we played worse then against Saints in the first half. (We seem to find worse performances every 2 weeks :( )

City should have been 5-0 up by half time and we were lucky Fowler isn't the Fowler of old and Anelka is well known for scuffing clear cut chances.

Fortunately, the Charlton vs Spurs match aside, the other results involving the teams in the upper half of the '2nd Div in the EPL' went our way and we were able to cling on the we've have achieved (wrong word to use, I know) so far.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts