Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V

Liverpool play host to Barclays Premier League bottom club Portsmouth at Anfield on Monday evening.

The Reds will be determined to return to winning ways in the league and get their top four push back on track.

Pompey have already inflicted defeat upon Rafael Benitez's side this season - winning 2-0 at Fratton Park in December.

However, the south coast club have not tasted victory at Anfield since 1951 and last season Steven Gerrard's second-half penalty put them to the sword in front of the Kop.​

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Any chance Aquilani finally gets a damn start???

FFS if Rafa won't start Aquilani in Anfield against Pompey he should just take over at Hull fookin City.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Liverpool Starting XI: Reina, Insua, Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Mascherano, Aquilani, Gerrard, Babel, Rodriguez, Torres.

Subs: Cavalieri, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Benayoun, Kuyt, Lucas, Kelly.

NO KUYT! :happy::happy::happy:

If we don't win, it won't be because the starting line up was wrong.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Gee what a shock playing to win actually works.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
We did nothing for 25 minutes and the Ashdown helped us quite a bit. But after that, we've done pretty well. Nice to see Aqua get his first, hopefully of many more.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Liverpool actually play well what a shock, great result.Hope kelly learns from that little error , was caught ball watchin.

If that team had played all season i wonder where we would be now?prehaps safely in 4th who knows

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Tbf, we were playing a team with no quality, no money, no confidence and very soon no points. But it was a good confidence-booster for our players and hopefully they can carry this forward into the Lille and United games..

And what a shocking elbow from Gerrard!:eek: Lucky to stay on IMO, although Michael ****ing Brown :yuck: did do his best to provoke him

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
...and set up another.

Was excellent today. Dunno where Rafa has been hiding him.
Physio room? Beauty parlor?

Good to see he did well, the kid can play but I still wonder about choice of league/team when considering his playing style. I hope I am wrong though.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Physio room? Beauty parlor?

Good to see he did well, the kid can play but I still wonder about choice of league/team when considering his playing style. I hope I am wrong though.
:D

He's started 5 EPL games and we've won all 5. Think he's in the right league/team looking at that stat. Pretty sure he's got a goal/assist per game as well.

He'll be dropped for the next two games though :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
He'll be dropped for the next two games though :rolleyes:.
This is exactly what I meant because this is what will happen.

I don't see the logic in starting Lucas over him, it's not like Lucas is more physical or tougher than him and Aquilani is better on the ball and going forward. Mascherano does the covering, tackling and leg work anyways.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Lucas is a good player. He just lacks the arrogance/confidence that Aquilani has, which makes the other players trust him. Until Lucas develops that, he won't be the player he can be.

On the Gerrard elbow thing, the ref punished it with a free kick. Can the FA do something about it now? i'm thinking with Utd coming up next week, Fergie will probably have a word or two with the FA to get Gerrard banned.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Great game from Aquilani and Liverpool. Indeed it is true, Aquilani probably wont start for about 2 or 3 games now when what he needs is continuity. You guys look better without Kuyt fluffing about in every attack too. Babel and Aquilani in the XI is what you need to progress and be more exciting (as well as get results).

And I dont just say this as a fan of Aquilani previous to his spell here or as an Italian. Even if it was some creative/forward thinking South American mid I would say the same. It is just useless in many EPL games to play both Lucas and Mascherano, although in some of the big games it is ok.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
On the Gerrard elbow thing, the ref punished it with a free kick. Can the FA do something about it now? i'm thinking with Utd coming up next week, Fergie will probably have a word or two with the FA to get Gerrard banned.
Ah yes, Fergie's famous influence with the FA. He practically runs it, doesn't he?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts