Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed for days that we don't have a match thread for this game. Here it is.

Disappointing for those who went to the match or was waiting for it on cable tv. The match has been postponed because the ref said that the pitch was unplayable.

Maybe we would have to wait at least 10 days for the replay, as early as after the game against the Mancs.

What do you guys think? Rafa's disappointed, its plain for all to see, but he respected the decision. He did leave a hint of his thoughts abt the postponement though, saying that in Spain they've played in worse conditions that the one at Turf Moor.

Cheers. :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Match has been postponed to Tuesday, 19th January. Here's for more info on the postponement from BBC.

Same stuff on the rest of the football news websites around.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Steve Cotteril was also disappointed.. but he agreed the ref made the right decision..

Don't know how bad it was.. but I guess it should be worse than our games vs. Newcastle last year (at St. James').. gives us a breather and time to prepare on the Man U game.. and signings..

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was kinda sad that no one paid attention to this fixture here. A match is match no matter who we play ;)

Anyways, back in my room for half time, and here's a little head's up for u ppl. :)

The first half were rather dull and unspectacular. Scrappy at tiems, but promising in other moments. Hornets started the brighter, being more industrious and committed. Tackled hard, closed down well, basicaly they were charged up. Dudek had 2-3 shots to save in the first 10 mins alone, and we conceded quite a number of corners to them. Raven was unspectacular, and sometimes when in possesion, he often opts for the long ball out of defence when he could just play it accross the backline, or pass to Welsh. Hyppia was his usual self, altho a little low-profile. Whitdread has been solid. Crisp pasing, altho doesn't come off often, good reading of the game, supported the midfield when needed. An assured performance. Traore was his usual gangly self, got up to the fianl third a few times. Appeared to have injured his right ankle in a tackle by Sinclair. Made a great recovering tackle in the middle of the half to block a low cross into the box.

The midfield was absent in the 20 mins, almost every other ball was a clearance or header. Neither team managed to settle down in midfield and pass the ball around, although HOrnets looked to be more efficient with the ball when they had it. Biscan was anonymous, maybe due to the team settling down late. Welsh idn't really stand out, he did a lot of covering, but little tackling. Personally, there was a few times when he could have just opted for the simple pass to Potter or Biscan but he went for the long crossfield thru pass instead...which didn't come off. Potter caught my eye, he looked calm and assured on the ball. Has a very good touch comnpared to the rest of the midfield players we have. Was quite positive and effective in his use of the ball, made a few encouraging plays. Warnock settled into the game late, but worked hard on the ball, trying to create sth. Always runs with the ball when he has the chance. Sinama to me was very useful, although his small physique often made him rather easy meat in challenges.

We raised our game in the last 10 minutes, our passing starting to come off a bit. Passes were crisp, pacey, accurate and quick. NIce to see they tried to link up with each other with one-touches towards the end of half, probably because they've settled down and got used to the soggy pitch.

The pitch might have an effect on the lads, because its quite heavy with all the water. We looked a little off the pace many times compared to the Hornets.

All in all, the half ended in an encouraging mrhythm for us. Hope to see better things in the second half. Maybe Potter or Biscan playing a more influential role.

My suggestions: Learn to keep the ball in midfield, don't be afraid to hold the ball and play simple.

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Over. Burnley 1-0 and we are out. Nunez sent off for an elbow too.. I don't blame him much because that fvcker was asking for it.

I'm unhappy about this but cosidering our thin squad, it might be a blessing in disguise especially with the CL back soon.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blessing in diguise or whatever positives we draw from this match, we draw it AFTER we've dissected the performance. :irritate:

There were signs that these youngsters had the idea of how to play a team game, I can feel it with every hopeful pass that didn't come off as the time ticks by. But they still deserved to be blasted for the performance. :mad:

I am very disappointed. Players like Hyppia, Biscan, Traore were supposed to exert leadership and composure to this kids, but Hyppia was guilty of being a little to casual sometimes, Biscan was taking too long to make decisions on or off the ball, while Traore didn not contribute anything significant in terms of example to the youngsters. :fero: :frustrat:

I was hoping for Nunez to establish himself as a worthy squad player, but he looked off the pace and a little culture-shocked with the physical spirit of the FA Cup. Still, for a plyer coming from a pretigious club, having the luxury of training with the best feet and minds in club football, his performance is not of a spirited catasway wanting to prove himself but rather, very similiar to the rest of the academy graduates, a baggage smaller than he was carrying when he came to the club. :irritate:

Save me the they're-still-learning anti-depressant. This defeat hurt me more than the defeat at Chelsea to be honest. We didn't look like getting anything right, passes that was supposed to be going from encouraging to good in the second half dropped to being ridiculous.

I just don't understand how come the players still couldn't see that we could not match BUrnley at the physical game but yet still pumped high balls into the area. What the hell was Potter and Biscan thinking, both going up at the same time? One should've stayed back and played link-man. Hyppia, Zak & Raven were guilty of hoofing the ball very often, which often overshadowed the tiems when they did try to pass the ball out of defence. Don't give me the but-we-put-them-under-pressure-for-the-last-15-minutes crap. What else were we supposed to do? Of course we had to put pressure, and they knew it, which was why they sat back and played the patient counter attacking game, esp with the lead they have. :fero: :frustrat:

I'll be in my cave until this little storm in me weathers out. I'll post a proper post-match analysis by then...if I feel like it.
:hangover:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nothing much I can say. Sucks so hard. Just a combination of what Traore was thinking and why Rafa didn't play a stronger squad. The sooner I can forget about this the better.

-Scott

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
no positives.
Young Whitbred was a positive for you guys in my eyes at least.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Rafa and what he's doing and have very high hopes of what we'll be able to be doing in the future but I definitely wish he would show more respect to the FA Cup. I can understand not taking the Carling Cup so seriously but the FA Cup is different. It is is a major trophy and we should put out a team with the intention of winning it. People need to be more rational then to call for Rafa to be sacked (I don't think I've seen that on here but there's a lot of lunatics on the liverpoolfc.tv forum) based on this match but it is disheartening to see Rafa's lack of respect for the FA Cup.

-Scott

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Jeesus christ, Biscans back to form of old I see, so now Diaos gone what he wants to be the club clowne? Traore, Hyypia and Nunez are a pile of shit enall so he's got some competition!

Pathetic performance!
=========================================================
I'm a huge fan of Rafa and what he's doing and have very high hopes of what we'll be able to be doing in the future but I definitely wish he would show more respect to the FA Cup. I can understand not taking the Carling Cup so seriously but the FA Cup is different. It is is a major trophy and we should put out a team with the intention of winning it. People need to be more rational then to call for Rafa to be sacked (I don't think I've seen that on here but there's a lot of lunatics on the liverpoolfc.tv forum) based on this match but it is disheartening to see Rafa's lack of respect for the FA Cup.

-Scott
Them fans on .tv weren't complaining when we was beating Boro and Spurs with the kid and no doubt they'd be praising Rafa if we'd won today- it's the players fault not Rafa. Some fans are so fickel

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Toure looked like Ronaldo out there with his sheer brilliance in front of goal. What a play. :howler:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
First of all i hope Rafa Benitez learns from the mistake he made tonight,You just dont do that in the FA Cup.
Secondly if he wanted to play a few youngsters then why didnt he make our line up half of first team players and half of youngsters?

Thirdly we just sucked tonight.Biscan was absolutley rubbish.

Well Done to Burnley,They played very well.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Andr3w said:
Toure looked like Ronaldo out there with his sheer brilliance in front of goal. What a play. :howler:
Way to get your ****ing facts right buddy.

This isn't the Arsenal forum if you still don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Dude I was just kidding. But come on Toure looked like Maradona out there. :D

Oh, and Biscan was rubbish. He is always rubbish.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
We were poor. This display is comparable to the one we had a few days earlier against Manc. Wonder if this is our lean spell. It was one of those days when after they scored (thanks to us of course), we did NOTHING. I could have been Jensen or Carroll and it would have made no difference, that was how miserable our attack has been.

paw;)

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Andr3w said:
Dude I was just kidding. But come on Toure looked like Maradona out there. :D

Oh, and Biscan was rubbish. He is always rubbish.
Ok, you still dont' know what I'm talking about.

The spin was nice I admit.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts