Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The League is back with a game that, due to the usual quality of management of our country's clubs, does not yet have, a bit more than 48 hours before its kick-off, a confirmed venue.

The new pitch of Reboleira is still a sand dune so it looks like the game will be played at Amoreira in Estoril...maybe Ana will pop up there to see a real football team playing live for once in her life :lala:

Here are some news about our squad...

Training session with all players with the game with Estrela da Amadora coming closer

Transl. from O Jogo

Sporting's squad trained behind closed doors this morning, at the Academy, in Alcochete, with Paulo Bento being able to have all his players available, as there are no more injuries and suspensions.
Sporting's coach will have, prepared the strategy that he wishes to use on Sunday, against Estrela da Amadora, and eventually insisted on aspects linked with the finishing, as it is usual in this kind of training sessions. A last note about the third keeper of Sporting, Rui Patrício, who did not train with the first team as he will be playing this time for the U-19 squad.

·
Administrator
24,771 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
The new pitch of Reboleira is still a sand dune so it looks like the game will be played at Amoreira in Estoril...maybe Ana will pop up there to see a real football team playing live for once in her life :lala:

ana will be on her way to porto by the time the game will take place :pp

ill be listening to it on the radio though:D looking forward to a good result....for estrela, naturally :pp

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
To see Porto Cl game Inacio!?:eek: :pp

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
inacio said:
ana will be on her way to porto by the time the game will take place :pp

ill be listening to it on the radio though:D looking forward to a good result....for estrela, naturally :pp
have a nice trip...but I hope you get carsick with the result of the match :pp

·
Administrator
24,771 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
have a nice trip...but I hope you get carsick with the result of the match :pp

after last night, hardly :D

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
killa said:
I hear you on that, I got a soft spot for the boys from Amadora myself:thumbsup:
yes, if you are from Cacém I'm not surprised...same thing for me and Vitória de Setúbal as I come from Almada.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
inacio said:
after last night, hardly :D
do you mean that after last night FS is no longer a mediocre and clueless horse face of a coach?

·
Administrator
24,771 Posts
Filipe Reis said:
do you mean that after last night FS is no longer a mediocre and clueless horse face of a coach?
when did i say he was? from what i recall , i only got upset with him twice....most specially in the game in denmark

from what i recall as well, i've have stated we have shown progress in the last couple games, and lost points out of pure bad luck (namely that game with paços), and we should ( and i still believe we will) keep on improving to the desire levels

he is not brilliant, and i never said so, but he is very far from being as bad as most here seem to believe he is. compared to what we had lats year, he is a genious

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
inacio said:
when did i say he was? from what i recall , i only got upset with him twice....most specially in the game in denmark

from what i recall as well, i've have stated we have shown progress in the last couple games, and lost points out of pure bad luck (namely that game with paços), and we should ( and i still believe we will) keep on improving to the desire levels

he is not brilliant, and i never said so, but he is very far from being as bad as most here seem to believe he is. compared to what we had lats year, he is a genious
OK, I register your opinion and will get back to it in a few weeks time.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To keep on the right track

by Pedro Hélder Maia
Transl. from www.sporting.pt

On October 1st 1988 Sporting went for the first time to Amadora to play for the Portuguese football championship. The match was included in the 7th round of the competition and the squad of the Uruguayan Pedro Rocha did not do better than a goalless draw, curiously also a few days before a great European night, with a win in Amsterdam against Ajax.

On the following season the scoreline was repeated, in a game that had the curiosity of having Raúl Águas making his debut as Sporting's coach. At the third one we made it, and in 1990/91, on a fantastic start of season by the squad of Marinho Peres, Sporting obtained its first victory. Cadete and Leal scored on the 2-1 win, having been the defender's goal his first in official matches for Sporting.

The most uneven score between the two teams happened at the 4th round of 1993/94 season. Sporting crushed Estrela 4-0, with a brace by Balakov, and goals of Juskowiak and Luís Figo. Close to these numbers was the match for the 13th round of 2003/04. Then the Lions won 4-1 with goals by Liedson (2), Rochemback and Pedro Barbosa. That was, actually, the last win of the Lions in Amadora.

In the match of 95/96, included in the 29th round of the League, Octávio Machado as main coach and Tiago as a starting goalkeeper had their official debut for Sporting on a one goal draw (Sá Pinto scoring).

In 13 games, Estrela da Amadora only managed to win once, at the 27th round of of 97/98 (2-1, Assis scored SCP's goal), being Sporting then coached by Carlos Manuel. Meanwhile several draws happened, in a match that traditionally is not easy for the green and white team.

The last Estrela da Amadora-Sporting ended up in a goalless draw. It was played on April 15th 2006, having been, considered by all the observers has the worst game of the Lions under Paulo Bento's command. That circumstance had however the explanation linked with the fact that the game was played right after the Sporting-FC Porto that saw the Lions say farewell to the title, which brought some disappointment and less concentration from the side of the green and white team.

The Pole Juskowiak is the best sportinguista scorer in the history of this match, with three goals, followed by Balakov, Sá Pinto and Liedson, all with two. From the current squad it is in fact "levezinho" the only that scored in Amadora.

Total record of Estrela da Amadora vs SPORTING for the League:
13 games
1 win Estrela da Amadora
5 draws
7 wins SPORTING
Goals: Estrela 6-18 SPORTING

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is our starting line-up for the game that kicks off in about 10 minutes in Estoril...

Ricardo

Abel -- Tonel -- Anderson Polga -- Ronny

Paredes

Nani ----- João Moutinho

Romagnoli

Bueno --- Liedson

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORTING!!!

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Estrela da Amadora 0-1 SPORTING (HT)
[Tonel 45']

Sporting scored in the last minute of the first half through a great header of Tonel after one of the many corners won during the first half.

Estrela parked the bus in front of their box and they don't even bother to pretend that they came to this game to do more than leaving with a 0-0. Besides they've been throwing hard flying tackles through our players with the infamous Olegário Benquerenca watching without moving a finger.

Let's hope nobody gets injured and let's see what Estrela will do now that their crappy 0-0 strategy crumbled.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Estrela da Amadora 0-1 SPORTING (FT)

A good win in the middle of the storm.

Comments for later...but we stay on top to host Porto and that's what really matters at the end of the day. :)

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I watched the whole game, even though Amadora had some shots on goal(I think 4 on target), this was always Sporting's game.

I wasn't impressed with Paredes at all, and thought he made some clumsy challenges along with some poor passes. I prefer both of Veloso and Custodio to Paredes as the DM. Abel and Ronny played really well, I felt.

Good win for Sporting, prepare to get squashed now. :scream: :pp ;)

·
Registered
44,603 Posts
What a boring game!:yawn:

Amadora is a disgrace like Aves,this two teams should be relegated now!:thmbdown:

About the overated Sporting team,well another game who has show that!

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two very different analysis by supporters of our two rivals that show the true nature and the true class of both posters. Thank you both for it. ;)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Portuguese League 2006/07
6th Round

Estádio António Coimbra da Mota, Amoreira, Estoril (2.000 att.)
15th October 2006
20:00 (local time)
Ref: Olegário Benquerenca (Leiria)

Estrela da Amadora 0-1 SPORTING
(Tonel 45')

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Estrela da Amadora - Paulo Lopes; Tony, Wescley (Edu Silva HT), José Fonte, Amoreirinha; Jordão, Tiago Gomes (Luís Loureiro 64'), Marco Paulo, Rui Borges (Dário 64'); Jaime and Jones.

Subs not used: Pedro Alves, Paulo Sérgio, N'Diaye, Cleiton.
Coach: Daúto Faquirá

-------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTING - Ricardo; Abel, Tonel, Anderson Polga, Ronny (Marco Caneira 75'); Paredes, João Moutinho, Nani, Romagnoli (Carlos Martins HT); Bueno (Custódio 75') and Liedson.

Subs not used: Tiago, Miguel Veloso, Farnerud, Alecsandro.
Coach: Paulo Bento

------------------------------------------------------------------
Booked: Jaime (CFEA 12'), Jordão (CFEA 51'), Tony (CFEA 61'), Paredes (SCP 90').
------------------------------------------------------------------

Paulo Bento's style as a coach is practically the antithesis of José Peseiro's one. While the former assistant coach of Real Madrid used to claim that the main thing about his teams was to play an attractive attacking football, even if that would mean letting in quite a few goals, the current manager of Sporting is on the contrary a pragmatic one, that prefers to win games, even if they are solved by the minimum margin.

Yesterday once again, Sporting took control of the match against a poor Estrela from the 1st to the last minute and our victory was never really at stake, even if the menace of the odd goal is always hanging when one leads 1-0.

It was time to save energies as there are two really important games coming up in the next week, Bayern on Wednesday for the CL and FC Porto on Sunday for the League. Paulo Bento knew it and that is why he decided to rest key people like Marco Caneira, Miguel Veloso, Yannick Djaló and Alecsandro, still managing to present a strong and winning squad.

Estrela was pityful and I find it difficult to see how this team will manage to stay up this season. An absolute anthem to anti-football, not only not doing more than defending but also throwing high tackles that were never punished by the well known Olegário.

Abel, Tonel and Nani were in good shape and the MoM, once again was João Moutinho. It is amazing the composure, the class and the intelligence of this kid. Only a very stubborn person or simply a very clueless git could ignore his value and importance in Portuguese football at this point...but our country is full of those.

Now we host Porto with the same number of points and I believe we can beat them. But before there is another superpower coming to Alvalade on Wednesday...we respect the mighty Bayern but we should not fear them, because we are SPORTING!!! :fero:

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Abel was MoM for me, but Moutinho was very good, I agree. Abel was getting forward well and made some very key tackles, too. As I said after the game, Ronny and Abel were superb. Against a team like Estrela who do not hold the midfield well, I can understand why Moutinho is MoM though as he really dictated the game.

Also, perhaps it's just me, but I notice Caneira is not as solid when he comes on as a substitute. This is not a knock on the player at all as many of the world's best are like this. They just need to be on the pitch when the game starts and get into the groove like everybody else, but seem a little behind when coming on as a sub. For my teams, Postiga and Adriano for Porto and Ronaldo and Cassano are like this. They're just more comfortable getting into action at the same tempo as everyone else at the beginning of the game. Again, maybe it's just me, but that's something I notice with Caneira.

By the way, you should've gotten a pic of Tonel later on in the game when he had that big bandage wrap around his head and his hair was sticking up through the middle of it. Looked funny of course, and not taking away at all what a warrior this guy is. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts