Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
What a piss poor performance!!..

Oh, in case u don't know.. Southampton 2 Liverpool 0 (Prutton, Crouch)

Back to the ranting.. I don't believe I've ever seen us this poor and spineless under Rafa.. the half time talk certainly did help.. but not much.. a lot of the players are either very tired.. or not putting in the performances that should allow them to wear the red shirt of Liverpool (actually yellow today)..

- Luis Garcia and Didi Hamann should really think about what they're doing on the pitch.. as this performance was very very poor vs. their standards.. Biscan was much more effective after coming on as a sub for Didi..

- Hyypia is injured.. a twisted hip is the diagnosis.. God knows how long he'll be out.. David Raven came in for him and did OK for his EPL debut..

- Pellegrino was at fault for the first goal.. and the whole defensive unit for the second

- Sinama Pongolle came on at HT for Warnock.. and along with Baros, were our best players on the pitch..

- Again.. our same problem.. we are VERY VERY slow in our build ups.. we simply have no tempo when attacking..

- Gerrard passed a fitness test this morning to play.. although it seemed he got the news that he could play in the 70th minute.. didn't seem so bothered to play before that.. Riise was another player who seemed to be in the dressing room 20 minutes before the game ended.. poor performance by both lads

To me it's a major issue when one of the worst defences in the league totally shuts out our attack and midfield.. other than 2 Baros shots.. I can't remember Niemi being in ANY trouble.. again, we lost the battle in midfield.. only this time it wasn't to Keane and Scholes.. but to an aging Jamie Redknapp and David Prutton!!.. No disrespect to Southampton, they played their hearts out.. I'm just amazed at how our players did the exact opposite!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Our defence was a mess today in the first half,Everytime Southampton attacked it looked like they was gonna get something good out of it.
They played very well and we were bloody rubbish.

Everytime we attacked nothing came out of it and Niemi had a quiet afternoon really.Southhampton kept their defence tight and kept us out,Prutton for them played a wonderful game today,He was my man of the match.

Garcia,Hamann,Pellegrino was poor,Gerrard didnt really look good but was ok,Pongolle and Baros was our best players on the day and Morientes was quiet.

All in all a bloody useless performance.

Did you see the look on Rafa's face throughout the game??? He looked p*ssed off.

WD to the Saints.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Actually the look that caught my eye was when he brought on Biscan.. and was urging Hamann to get off faster.. now that was one pissed off manager.. and he should be!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yasir said:
Actually the look that caught my eye was when he brought on Biscan.. and was urging Hamann to get off faster.. now that was one pissed off manager.. and he should be!!
Too right he should be p*ssed off,We played like a non league side today.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
NAZecution said:
NO!!!!!
NO!!!!!
NO!!!!!

What's going on with Liverpool??!!
Chronic injuries to an already threadbare squad.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Not only we lost, we were played off the park by Southampton.

And it's not like Rafa has the option of dropping half of them either.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
'We'? AMO?

The problem is the lack of pace and progression of that attack, and the terrible transition from defence to forward.

Morientes was getting no service, though its evident with the right players behind/around baros morientes and gerrard liverpool could be such an unbelievable force.

·
International
1,878 Posts
I sense a deep-seated division from within the ranks in our club. There is no unity on the pitch at all and there is no hunger. The players (especially those from the Houllier-days, bar Sinama and Baros) looked very disinterested and the situation is not helped by a forever-sulking bloke who was wearing the captain's armband.

What we needed was a leader on the pitch. There is only so much Rafa can do from the sidelines but the players themselves needed a leader to try to spur the team on and emphasize on teamwork. Most of the players were simply gunning for individual glory there (how many times Riise could have crossed or passed instead of making a shot on goal). No one was trying to hold the ball up and make things happen intelligently, instead of just passing the ball around and, get this, back to the defence.

I know that in now way we were hard done by injuries, but one of the biggest "crimes" Rafa has committed was to bring in his new signings too fast. A case in point was Pellegrino. There have been way too many chop-and-changes in our defence and the Carra-Hyppia partnership should have never been broken up. Stability in defence is important, especially when other areas of the squad are threadbare at the moment. If we cannot create enough chances to score, at least there is a stable defence to depend on to at least keep a clean sheet. This clearly is not happening here and the instability of the defence simply saps confidence away (as evidenced or precipitated by Dudek's and Traore's errors).

As I have predicted earlier this season, the resurgence of Chelsea and the coming on form of the Mancs as well as the startling Everton progress will deny us the privilege of playing in the Champions League next season. It is the UEFA Cup for us and unless funds can be made available for Rafa during the close season, it will look like we can only scramble with the likes of Newcastle and Tottenham for the UEFA Cup place.

My only hope now is for Rafa to bring the boys to some place for a little retreat and for the players to get to know each other better or at least, thrash things out (if there are great divisions from amongst the playing staff).

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I think this defeat is a good thing to happen.

It portrays the real standard of the team with its current available players.

It shows Rafa who can he depend upon when the going gets hard, and who has proven nothing after early promising signs. If losing sth big like the UCL spot means that Rafa will have a good Liverpool side next season, then so be it.

We are in a phase of our transition season where the squad is stretched, the manager is being thrown into the deep end of things and each player in the squad is being severely tested. There's only one outcome, which is Rafa's final judgement.

After this season, slowly we will not anymore see players the likes of Diao, Nunez (maybe), and the rest as the standard of the team is being raised by the players who have made the grade and proven themselves.

Earlier this season a comparison between Rafa's, Wenger's, Fergie's and Houllier's form in their very first full season at their clubs. At that time, the signs were encouraging, but we al still needed assurances abt Rafa's handling and it was made understood that the jury will be out at the end of the season. Soon after that came the great Arsenal/Olympiakos victories and the great form showed over Christmas, which made us forget abt how we agreed to only let the jury out at the end of the season.

Its nice to see many rationale posters here, compared to the many rather emotional ones at forums such as koptalk, YNWA, talklfc & RAWK. Let's keep it up.

Again, the players let us down. Let's just leave it at that.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Liverbird said:
I know that in now way we were hard done by injuries, but one of the biggest "crimes" Rafa has committed was to bring in his new signings too fast. A case in point was Pellegrino. There have been way too many chop-and-changes in our defence and the Carra-Hyppia partnership should have never been broken up. Stability in defence is important, especially when other areas of the squad are threadbare at the moment. If we cannot create enough chances to score, at least there is a stable defence to depend on to at least keep a clean sheet. This clearly is not happening here and the instability of the defence simply saps confidence away (as evidenced or precipitated by Dudek's and Traore's errors).
Hi LB..

As much as Rafa trusts Pelle.. I don't think he ever intended for him to be thrown into the frying pan this fast.. I don't think he would've been starting had Josemi or Finnan been available.. with them injured.. our only two options were Carra and to play a young and raw David Raven.. Rafa went for Pelle as he knew him more..

Hyypia's injury will now stretch us to the limits.. we have no depth in defence, midfield OR attack!!.. Hamann is also suspended from the Watford semi on Tuesday.. so Biscan will definetly start (I assume with Gerrard)..

·
Registered
574 Posts
wasn't able to catch this and the last match, but this has to be the worst week this season. no dissrespect to Burnley and Saints, but we should've taken those fairly easily - what a humiliating surprise its been.

i think the boys just need a good hard kick in the ass...if the results this week weren't enough, that is.

walk on.

·
International
1,878 Posts
Yasir:

My preferred backfour, without Pelle, will be:

LB: Riise
CB: Carragher
CB: Hyppia
RB: Raven

I believe our key position was the centre of defence. It has to be stable.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'd be interested to know what else Benitez could have done but bring the spanish players in so quickly.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
CardiffRed, I don't think anyone is complaining about the Spanish players in general. Xabi Alonso and Morientes are quality players, and I also like Luis Garcia a lot (even though he's been crap for a while), and Josemi... ok, he hasn't been the best transfer, but it was a player brough in at a position we need.

But for the others... he could give some trust to some of the players already at the club. What has Nunez (for whom every single Real Madrid fan could tell you he sucked) that Le Tallec could not offer? (Not to mention... wait for it, Diouf). And why Pellegrino when there is Henchoz? I'm all for renewing the team, but bringing in players for the shake of it without additional quality... I don't agree.

In any case, I'm not unhappy with Benitez. He's a good manager, that is rather obvious, and he's still to find out his ways around the Premiership, but some of the players are just not good enough. And this includes the likes of Hamann, Hyypia and both our goalkeepers. Ok, they might be ok for a functioning team, but they just aren't good enough to step up now that things are hard. And Gerrard does not seem to bother very much anymore, does he?

If we don't make the CL, there won't be enough money to actually renew the team more. So no, that defeat did not help us at all.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Yasir said:
As much as Rafa trusts Pelle.. I don't think he ever intended for him to be thrown into the frying pan this fast.. I don't think he would've been starting had Josemi or Finnan been available.. with them injured.. our only two options were Carra and to play a young and raw David Raven.. Rafa went for Pelle as he knew him more...
...and as the game proved that was a big gamble turned into a big mistake. Playing anybody on the flank along the stable center duo was a safer option , dont you think, Yasir?. And life shows Rafa thinks too much of his imports and trusts them way more than they deserve. So many dissapointments.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Watching MOTD last night, it makes me laugh because every time we lose Alan Hansen describes it as our worse performance ever

1 - 20 of 49 Posts