Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another one of our fixtures in this busy period. 2nd game in 3 days. Players must be dead tired. Mellor and Kewell may start, they were left off the squad vs WBA, Gerrard and Baros may also feature, having rested 20 mins after substitutions halfway through the WBA game. Kewell's position at Left Midfield may be under threat wtih Riise playing so well at the Hawthorns.
kickoff 16:30 BST

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Kewell brings sth different to the game than Riise. Its a matter of tactics. With Kewell, we will play will more intelligence (although this will only be the case when he finds his form), with Riise we play a more direct approach down the left.

Southampton would offer a stiffer resistance than West Brom, not to mention a more organized and tactically adept side.

Kewell should start, along with Sinama and Mellor. Nunez remains or is replaced by Finnan/Garcia with Josemi starting at RB.

My guess is, with the Chelsea game in mind, the formation would be:

Dudek

Josemi Carragher Hyppia Traore/Riise
Finnan Hamman Alonso Kewell
Garcia
Sinama/Mellor

When things go our way, somewhere in the second half we'll the likes of Warnock, Diao & Biscan makling their way into the pitch. If not, the likes of Baros & Gerrard will have to do some rescure job.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one thing we've learned is to never take harry redknapps' sides too lightly, they usually draw in the last gasp or beat you by a goal.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
That's why I feel Alonso would start. Teams like Harry's team play with brains, thus we need brains to fight back.

Alonso can dictate the pace and flow of the game, and control the situation. We rely on Kewell, Garcia & Sinama/Mellor to get penetration, with Finnan playing a supporting act.

This win is critical for the success of our holiday fixtures. We've won against Newcastle and WBA, and a setback here would affect the confidence going into the Chelsea game. We would expect a setback agaisnt the Blues, not here. Thus if a setback here happened, it will be detrimental to the team's overall confidence.

So far, we've collected 7 points from the 9 offered, and 7 out of the possible 15 we could collect from our holiday fixtures. Things are under control, and building up.

Let's hope our holiday fixtures brings joy and success, so that when Jan 15 comes by, we'll give the Mancs a grand old belated Christmas welcome they'll never forget. ;)

Cheers.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
one thing we've learned is to never take harry redknapps' sides too lightly, they usually draw in the last gasp or beat you by a goal.
I think Harry had left when Portsmouth visited us 2 weeks ago :)

With Rafa.. I really can't predict who'd start against the Saints.. I read Josemi has a knee injury and is out.. but other than that.. I'm in the dark.. I'd expect both Xabi and Stevie to start.. but one of them (if not both) coming on if we've got a firm lead.. The Kewell situation is complex with Riise scoring twice.. and as ever.. I'd prefer LG over Nunez.. but that means going in with our full first team.. with the Chelsea game around the corner.. I think Rafa would opt to rest a few of them..

Lets wait and see :)

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I think we will get another big win, Southampton are a terrible side and they are playing some of the worse football I've seen from them in a long time- where as we're looking a real team now, espeacially with a fit squad except from Cisse and Smicer.

Hopefully Kewell, Garcia and Alonso will start, and Riise will get forward alot from left back because I don't think he will be having to do to much defending against Southampton. I think Sinama should keep his place also. My team would be:

..............Dudek
Finnan..Carra...Hyypia..Riise
Garcia..Gerrard..Alonso..Kewell
..........Baros..Sinama

I'm predicting 4-0

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
It's a good squad SM.. but I think Rafa has his eye on that new year's day game against Chelsea.. That's why I think he'll be shuffling the side..

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Oh yeah forgot about that game, well seeming as it's only Soton, although I'm a believe of playing your full strength team all the time, I'd play this::

.............Dudek
Finnan..Carra..Hyypia..Traore
Nunez..Alonso..Hamann..Warnock
..................Kewell/Garcia
............Mellor/FloPo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lets not underestimate Southampton whens the last time we beat them?

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Tough game but I am hoping for the best, is Spurs managed to beat them 5-1, why can't we? ;)
They are second from bottom in the table, J. Beattie is still injured I believe and their highest scorer is Kevin Phillips with 5 goals only, their form has been very poor this season, they haven't won since early November vs. local rivals Pompey.
But we should never underestimate them, as O-NRG said we struggle against sides managed by Redknapp, and despite their lowly position, they are still better than WBA and are always a threat.

I predict a 2-1 win for us, hoping for another WBA style outcome :excited:

Last time was when Heskey netted vs. them as henry_god pointed out already, I think last season they managed to beat us home and away :(, but they're a shadow of last seaosn and the season before when they finished in the top half of the table if I'm not mistaken.

·
International
1,878 Posts
It may take some time before Harry "Judas" sorts things out down at St Mary's. It should be 3 points for us theoretically and it is the best time for the boys to start a run. If anything, a defeat will prove that we are only slightly better than Citeh, in terms of consistency.

What I am concerned is whether we have shored things up defensively.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This wont be a training session like it was against WBA.
I expect us to win by 2 or 3 goals.
Hopefully we will see Kewell play but i dunno with Risse's fine performance at WBA.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Liverbird said:
Harry "Judas"
I know this has nothing to do with us.. But I don't agree on that, LB..

Redknapp clearly fell out with Mandaric.. when? we actually don't know if it was at the end of last season (for spending and not finishing as promised).. in the summer (for not giving the money needed to strengthen the squad) or during this season (for the poor run in results)..

The backroom issues continued.. and to me the appointment of Zajec was the clear indication that Mandaric has lost confidence in Harry and believes a change of command is needed.. of course he came out with the crap that this doesn't effect Harry's position (cuz he knows the pompey fans love him).. but it was all writing on the wall..

I feel Harry was driven out of Portsmouth by Mandaric.. which is proven by the appointment of Zajec as manager.. The only parts that could be blamed on Harry are why he decided to come back into football when he said he wanted to take a break from footie and was back in management in 2 weeks (although I can see his point as the Saints are a clear opportunity of improvement with the squad size they have and some of them are actually good).. and why he chose Southampton in particular when they were his old club's main rivals (although I'd excuse him when the only other opportunity were Wolves!!)..

In other words, I admire what Harry did at Portsmouth.. and his management skills are better than a lot of others in the Premiership (In my opinion, better than Robson [WBA], Jol [Spurs], Keegan [Man C] and the new bosses like Worthington and Dowie).. and I really wouldn't call him a Judas for managing Southampton.. I might've had a different opinion had I been a Pompey fan though ;)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
We're 1-0 up at half time. Sinama scored just befor the break. The game's not being showed at all the satellites tv channels here. So i'm following the game from soccernet's gamecast.

things sound great so far.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
A 1-0 win. We were very dominant, according to the stats. According to the fans in talklfc, we didn't look like breaking through.

I'm waiting for word from you guys. Keep all of us posted eh guys? ;)

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts