Xtratime Community banner

OMT: EPL - Liverpool v Wigan @Anfield 18th Oct 15:00 BST - Fixture 8

2K views 84 replies 24 participants last post by  Darth Sidious 
#1 ·

Liverpool v Wigan

Liverpool welcome Wigan Athletic to Anfield determined to banish their Steve Bruce hoodoo in the Barclays Premier League.

The Reds have endured a series of frustrating results against the former Manchester United defender, both in his time at Birmingham City and against his current side Wigan.

But Rafa and co will head into the contest in confident mood and will be aiming to banish the memories of the 0-0 draw with Stoke by claiming a third win in four league matches so far this season, at the expense of the Latics.​

See less See more
#7 ·
This is one of the challenges we must past, Bruce somehow manages to always get results from us. We need to rectify this and really grow, last year the way they got a point off us was so bloody annoying, we need to have purpose and more importantly get the three points, whats vital is we have the right approach and go to close the game if the opportunity is there.

#16 ·
Biggest test of the season, bigger then manu, everton or man city IMO, last season we failed to beat smaller teams like Wigan home or away, we have already failed to beat one small team and if we fail to beat them then we are simply not going to win or challenge for the title this season.

#23 ·
after skrtel had injured against man city, torres and babel were injured too in the international games. so, we are now missing 3 main players while we have so important and difficult games in both epl and ucl. hopefully rafa can deal well with these absences.

#24 ·
well, i predict rafa start with this formation:

------------reina------------
arbeloa----carra-----hyypia-----dossena
----------alonso---mascherano(lucas)-----
kuyt----------gerrard-----------reira--
-------------keane--------------

agger to be used against atletico and chelsea. i don`t think he can play 3 strong games in 7 days approx.

#27 ·
I think that both our south american players may be dropped due to them flying back later than the rest plus that long flight to england.

Alonso and plesis in the center? Gerrard and keane upfront?

I really dun want to predict the lineup. Lets see how rafa suffles his pack.

#25 ·
-----------------Reina-------------------
Arby ---- Carra ---- Agger ---- Dossena
Yossi - Gerrard --- Alonso --- Riera
-----------Kuyt ------ Keane----------

That's what I'd like to see, similar team against the Mancs with Gerrard in for Masch to offer more creatively and going forward. Maybe Lucas in centre midfield might happen, maybe Pennant for Yossi but Rafa doesn't like him so I doubt that, Kuyt will probably start on the right again but for me he doesn't offer enough on the right against a team like Wigan, he's a decent striker so I'd like to see him start there. Hard to know how we'll play without Torres, Rafa will know best though. A win is vital in this game before a tough game at Stamford Bridge.

#31 ·
I'd go with the team RedStevie posted except Aurelio instead of Dossena. (or is Aurelio injured as well?)

Benayoun could be the game-breaker here. His craft and guile will be vital. Remember his goal against them last year? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yw8tymNrnrI Superb.

Also a chance for Keane to start showing why Rafa payed £20 million for him, I'm sure he's eager to impress after being left out against Citeh.

#33 ·
Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Aurelio, Dossena, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera, Kuyt, Keane, Ngog, Pennant, Lucas, Cavalieri.

Wigan (from):
Kirkland, Melchiot, Scharner, Bramble, Figueroa, Valencia, Cattermole, Palacios, Kapo, Heskey, Zaki, Boyce, Brown, Camara, De Ridder, Kilbane, Koumas, Kupisz, Taylor, Pollitt, Kingson.

come on you reds ..

#34 ·
Starting team

Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Riera, Pennant, Alonso, Gerrard, Kuyt, Keane.
Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Insua, Benayoun, Ngog, Lucas, El Zhar.

Pennant :groan:

Hope he shows some end product for once, big chance for him today to impress, not that confident of 3 points today, early goal would be very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.