Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Liverpool v Stoke City

Liverpool host Barclays Premier League newcomers Stoke City hoping to continue their 100 per cent record in the league at Anfield.

The Reds have already seen off both Middlesbrough and champions Manchester United courtesy of late strikes in respective 2-1 victories and will be aiming to make it a hat-trick against Tony Pulis' men.

The visitors have not played a competitive match at Anfield since Ian Rush's double in a 2-1 victory in the third round of the league cup back in 1994 and they will be hoping to provide another stern test this time around.

However, they will be well aware that in the most recent meeting between the two sides they were well and truly put to the sword and will be determined to make amends for their 8-0 hammering on their own patch in the fourth round of the same competition in 2000.​

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Realistically, if you beat United clearly then you should have no issue with Stoke.

I'm sure the gaf would be wanting a few goals and an attacking quick game where liverpool can show there improvements, and there higher ability.

3-0 would be the result - Whilst 3 points and the win would obviously be suffice, Anything less would probably not keep the momentum up, and be an underachievment.

Wouldnt mind seeing Robbie Keane score !!

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
We need to defend better in the air because thats all stoke seem to do this season get men in the box and try score of a header or a flick on. They also LOVE throw ins like they just got a penalty that Delap fella seems to have mastered the technique.

This game is a important game to start Hyypia imo:

--------------Reina-----------

Carragher------Hyypia---Agger------Dossena

-------------Alonso-----Lucas---------------

------Babel---------Benayoun------Riera--------

------------------------Keane---------------

Should do the job only excluded Masch,Gerrard and Fernando because the Marsellie game cearly showed they were knackered and all over the place. Masch in particular also Fernando looked out of sorts. We can afford to rest them IMO Stoke are there for the taking just need to defend in set pieces and attack as usual

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
well done Deo.:thumbsup:

at anfield should an easy for us. we have to keep record at home and we`re able. after our victories against manutd and marseille this week, our morale is high. :)

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Realistically, if you beat United clearly then you should have no issue with Stoke.

I'm sure the gaf would be wanting a few goals and an attacking quick game where liverpool can show there improvements, and there higher ability.

3-0 would be the result - Whilst 3 points and the win would obviously be suffice, Anything less would probably not keep the momentum up, and be an underachievment.

Wouldnt mind seeing Robbie Keane score !!
do agree with ya. after 2 important wins.. this game should be on our pocket with all due respect to stoke team. with a little bit of concentration, we will win.

i predict it 3-0 or 3-1 for us.

i`m sure Keane will start this game, but not sure he will score in this game.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Dropped too many home points last season against "lower" teams. With wholesale changes expected in the lineup, i wont be surprised of a shock result.

Liverpool 1
Stoke 1
:pp

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Dropped too many home points last season against "lower" teams. With wholesale changes expected in the lineup, i wont be surprised of a shock result.

Liverpool 1
Stoke 1
:pp
i know it`s football game and we may see any result or surprise.
also, there is not doubt the reds had not been showing good level before manutd game.. but, i predict this one will be ours too without a convincing show.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
We need to defend better in the air because thats all stoke seem to do this season get men in the box and try score of a header or a flick on. They also LOVE throw ins like they just got a penalty that Delap fella seems to have mastered the technique.

This game is a important game to start Hyypia imo:

--------------Reina-----------

Carragher------Hyypia---Agger------Dossena

-------------Alonso-----Lucas---------------

------Babel---------Benayoun------Riera--------

------------------------Keane---------------

Should do the job only excluded Masch,Gerrard and Fernando because the Marsellie game cearly showed they were knackered and all over the place. Masch in particular also Fernando looked out of sorts. We can afford to rest them IMO Stoke are there for the taking just need to defend in set pieces and attack as usual
i haven`t watched any game for Stoke team so far this season. but, we have tall enough CBs to deal with this technique that you mentioned.
i agree with you, some changes are predictable in this game. also to rest some players and mascherano particularly.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think you´ve got that lineup spot on. This is certainly a game that should be won without Gerrard, Torres and Masch, especially as they´re not in the best shape. Also Babel on the right would be exciting to see!

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
This will be such a culture shock for Dossena :D Playing against Stoke whos biggest threat is a throw in :pp

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
don't underestimate opponent.........we have to keep sharp until end of season.......no honkey donkey with unknown team........collect 3 points

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
of course no need to underestimate stoke in this game. but also we should have the abilities to win without torres, gerrard and mascherano who need a rest at least in this game, shouldn`t we?

·
Registered
11 Posts
isnt your next fixture Crewe though? Maybe this game will be used to get Torres and Gerrard match fit... because I can't see them needed against Crewe!

Also liverpool are the dreaded 1/5 at the bookies... value on the draw :smileani:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
of course no need to underestimate stoke in this game. but also we should have the abilities to win without torres, gerrard and mascherano who need a rest at least in this game, shouldn`t we?
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Careful....

It's that same theory that got Rafa criticised and publicy hung and quartered last year. Rotation Rotation Rotation :)

Play your best side, it's 4 games into the season, they are professional footballers who get hours and hours of rest.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
all the best players have to play, at least to gel them and for our forward to make them sharper. They got paid big bucks to play good football not to have a good rest........hehehehehe

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
4-0 Reds.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Careful....

It's that same theory that got Rafa criticised and publicy hung and quartered last year. Rotation Rotation Rotation :)

Play your best side, it's 4 games into the season, they are professional footballers who get hours and hours of rest.
yes and i completely agree but with only mascherano that is because both gerrard and torres have returned from injuries problems.. if they are really fit, i `ll ask for them and our best in every game. gerrard scored twice and did well vs marseille. Also, i hope when rafa substituted gerrard and torres in marseille`s game was in aim to rest them for this one. otherwise,if there is any doubt, i wish rafa won`t risk them.
also, we may see them start from the bench as the previous game against manutd.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Stoke are an insult to football. Rory Delap will end up being at the top of Stoke's assist chart come the end of the season. Thomas Sorensen will come second. It's disgusting - Tony Pulis gets his knickers wet whenever he sees a footballer over 6'1''.

It pisses me off that they are in the Premiership, and not Bristol City. Please hammer them.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
Mascherano talked about Stoke game:

While Liverpool have quite rightly received international praise for their victory over United, Mascherano believes there is still room for improvement and believes Stoke City are more than capable of causing a shock if the Reds aren't at the top of their game.

"It will be really, really difficult," he said.

"We were watching their game against Everton at the weekend and they are very strong but we will try to play in the same way that we did against Man United.

"Hopefully we will even do better than we did against United because there we made some mistakes in that game that we need to cut out.

"We also need to show the same character and make sure we do the same positive things that we did in that game."

Having handled some of the most potent attacks in Europe over the past years, the Reds are well equipped to deal with the threat of most sides.

However, Mascherano admits to being a little taken aback by the Potters' secret weapon – Rory Delap's long throw.

"I have never seen a throw in like that. It is unbelievable," he said.

"They create good chances from throw ins that are far away from the goal and we must try to control these situations.

"We have the defenders to cope and I am sure this is something we will focus on in training."

1 - 20 of 67 Posts