Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Liverpool v Newcastle

Liverpool welcome Kevin Keegan back to Anfield intent on picking up another three points and increasing his Newcastle side's relegation worries.

The Reds romped to an emphatic 3-0 win at St James' Park earlier in the season and the Magpies' fortunes have not changed much since that day.

They currently sit just three points off the relegation places and have yet to win in the league under Keegan.

This fixture has more often than not gone the way of Liverpool over the years and last season the Geordies fell victim to a 2-0 defeat with Dirk Kuyt notching his first goal in a red shirt, while Xabi Alonso scored from the half-way line​

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Surely Torres will score another three goals against this poor excuse for a defence. Despite that CL game coming after, I can only see one winner here because Newcastle are really poor at the moment.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He should have scored his first hatt-trick back against them in the first game this season...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Newcastle havent won under Keegan, the history between Keegand and us, the history between Owen and us.The focus on Europe, hope this doesnt blow up in our faces.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I hope he keeps the same team as what has played the last few games, we're finding the right balance and the team is starting to gel. Even Kuyt looks like a decent player out wide. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing Skrtel again, can see him becoming a fan favourite pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
it`s very important game for us .. due to some points which are :

Westy said:
Newcastle havent won under Keegan, the history between Keegand and us, the history between Owen and us.The focus on Europe, hope this doesnt blow up in our faces.
besides that we have to keep the rhyme of victories .. to keep at least our position in the epl .. also the 3 pts from this game will push us toward inter`s game with good concentration in it . :hopeful:

YNWA :cool:

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
I`d like to see this form against NUFC :

---------------REINA ------------
ARBEOLA -----CARRA---SKRTEL----RIISE
PENNANT----GERRARD----MASCH---BABEL
---------KUYT----------TORRES----------

:greed: :strong:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
keep the team and formation pleass rafa, looks like its starting to click into gear.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Mascherano is njured/ being rested. So I think we'll see Lucas. Its funny, right now everyone is drooling over the 4-2-3-1, one bad result and everyone will hammer Benitez for being negative and playing one upfront. Ahh how fickle we all are :D

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
The 4-2-3-1 Rafa has played with over the last few games has had two forwards (Kuyt and Babel) out wide as well as Gerrard with complete freedom. That's not negative.

If he played 4-2-3-1 stuck Pennant and Riise on the wings and made Gerrard sit back then he could be crucified for being negative.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, there aint a difference...
There is, especially in the Benitez way and it comes to how the team defends. Because in the traditional 4-3-3 the wide forwards very rarely track back. Mourinho's chelski were a defiance of the norm.

The Benitez 4-2-3-1 is exactly that, the team defends in line. If you watch it is visibly apparent that the line of 3 is detached from the lead forward who is the first point of pressing the opposition. You never see the second striker (Gerrard) in a 4-2-3-1 press all over as the lead forward does, he tends more to mark his zone and cover the DM's whereas the striker presses whoever has the ball and wherever. Also the way the team retaliates in a 4-2-3-1 is distinct from a 4-3-3, the perfect example I saw was when we played Betis in the UCL away. We played:

-----------Crouch--------------
Zenden-----Garcia-------Pongolle

and there was a time where we lost the ball in an attack, obviously the players when attacking tend to drift positions and Pongolle as a natural inside forward moved to the centre but Betis borke down his wing. Zenden covered that RM slot and then Pongolle upon noticing that went to the left and Garcia dropped deep. You don't see that in a 4-3-3 and especially because Benitez likes to tactically fine tune his players to be ware of what to do in situations.

Personally I think the 4-2-3-1 is the best formation for modern day football and gives the best flexibility. Way more than a pure 4-4-2, but a pure 4-4-2 is extremely rare nowadays though. The 4-2-3-1 in contrast to the 4-3-3 is a lot more balance as both the attack and defence are complimented well, however as with most things in football its down to the personnel and talent as much as it is the formation, especially if you don't consider tactics and such.

Anyway, whatever happens I hope we win and can continue this play and results :hopeful:

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
I think we shout leave Torres on the bench, if we need him bring him on.

his might be the team.

Reina
Finnan Carra Hyppia Arbeloa
.... Lucas Xabi
Kuyt..Gerrard...Kewell/Yossi
........Crouch

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
I think we shout leave Torres on the bench, if we need him bring him on.

his might be the team.

Reina
Finnan Carra Hyppia Arbeloa
.... Lucas Xabi
Kuyt..Gerrard...Kewell/Yossi
........Crouch
Nah mate too slow Crouch has the mobility of a fridge.

Play Torres once we are winning THEN take him off.

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Jermaine Pennant, Yossi Benayoun and Lucas Leiva are the three changes for Liverpool this afternoon against Kevin Keegan's Newcastle.
Fernando Torres continues up front in what appears to be a 4-2-3-1 formation.

The Liverpool line-up in full is: Reina, Riise, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Benayoun, Pennant, Lucas, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Hyypia, Crouch, Kuyt, Babel.
Reina,
Arbeloa, Skrtel, Carragher, Riise
Pennant, Lucas, Alonso, Benayoun
Gerrard,
Torres

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
looks nice lets see how we do. I would have put Babel instead of Pennant, and switch Bena to the right.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts