Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Liverpool v Man City

The Reds welcome Manchester City to Anfield safe in the knowledge that fourth place in the Barclays Premier League is already in the bag.

Last week's 2-2 draw at Birmingham City followed by Everton's failure to beat Aston Villa means Rafael Benitez and his side are now guaranteed Champions League football next season and can enjoy a pressure-free final home match of the 2007/08 campaign.

The Reds go into the clash looking to extend their winning run at Anfield to eight league matches and will be confident of picking up the three points against a Manchester City side who have struggled in the second-half of the season.

Sven Goran Eriksson's men are already certain of a top nine finish but have been in indifferent form of late, with two wins and three defeats from their last six matches.

Aside from the football, Liverpool fans will hope the occasion allows them a glimpse of our former midfielder Dietmar Hamann, on a day that will also see Gary Ablett's all-conquering reserve team presented with their trophy for winning the Barclays Premier Reserve League North at half-time.​

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Gary Ablett
I was startled to come across this name. :D Gary Ablett is regarded as one of the greatest Aussie Rules footballers of all time.

Congratulations to them. ;)

I think the Hungarian members are pining for Nemeth to get some first-team action.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Now that there's literally nothing riding on this game, I'd love to see Insua and Nemeth starting, alongside Torres :happy:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Torres is injured...
Torres is not injured actually, he was taken off for no reason against Chelsea. He is fine. I just hope Rafa doesn't rotate like usual. We need to build a usual strong confident starting eleven who plays together a vast majority of the time & build the confidence together for next season & beyond which must start now !

·
Registered
97 Posts
He was taken off because of a hamstring.
not at all my friend. If you have backup proof of this then I will apoligise, He was taken off for tactical reasons only. Torres doesn't appear on any injury list i've currently seen online.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N159796080501-1927.htm

Rafael Benitez has vowed to make quality additions to his Liverpool squad in readiness for a renewed assault on domestic and European honours next season.

The Reds' boss believes his side were unfortunate to crash out of the Champions League at the semi-final stage last night, but he knows improvements need to be made to his playing staff if the club are to keep pace with the top sides in the country.

"Clearly now we have to start thinking about the future. We must improve and we will add quality to the squad," he said.

"We have two more games in the Premier League to go and obviously we will try to win them both to give our season a good ending.

"But we will be looking at the squad and preparing for next season. You can see we are closer to the top but we still need new players.

"We need to keep working, our scouting department is certainly doing that. We have two more games and will try to win them and then improve the squad for next season."

Benitez was pleased with his side's performance at Stamford Bridge, although he insists the early loss of Martin Skrtel to injury was a major blow.

"We are all disappointed because we were very, very close even after we conceded that first goal," he added.

"And when we equalised through Fernando Torres with half-an-hour left of normal time you could see the belief in our players. And you could see how concerned Chelsea were, they were worried.

"And in extra-time we had two good chances, but once they scored their second and third so quickly, the game was almost dead.

"We scored another one and gave us a chance, but we were not strong enough to win the game. There was not enough time.

"Losing Skrtel so early was a blow, he was playing well against Drogba and we had to use a substitute very early. That affected us in extra-time because we were not able to bring any new fresh legs.

"There were times when we controlled the game, we were well organised and we knew what we needed to do.

"But then we conceded a penalty and it all changed from then on. And losing Fernando Torres with a hamstring was also a bad blow.

"I am proud of my team, they have been outstanding through the European run. To be in another semi-final is fantastic for the club, but I have to plan now for the future.

"In the end I am disappointed to have lost the way we did. When we were winning 1-0 at home I felt we were in the final."

And so it will be Chelsea, and not Liverpool, who travel to Moscow to take on Manchester United in this season's final for a match Benitez believes is too close to call.

"I think the final will be 50-50 because both teams are very good," he said.

"It has been great to see three English clubs in the semi-finals, it shows how high the standard is in the Premier League.

"And I feel that next season it is possible to see four English clubs in the semi-finals.

"The merit of the top four is outstanding. We have beaten the top sides in Spain and Italy between us, and I can see us getting stronger."

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I would add Lucas to that list, which will probably be the case anyway. I think he played well against Fulham and we need to give more matches now the results are not important. Also who´s this San Jose, what position does he play?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well in that case, Torres will be rested for the remaining 2 matches then. Kuyt & Crouch will start then. In that case, Crouch will bag 2 & Kuyt will score. If Gerrard also plays, he'll score aswell.

We'll win 4:0

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Emiliano Insua makes his first start of the season as the Reds look mark the final home match of the season with a win against Manchester City.
Steve Finnan comes in for Alvaro Arbeloa at right-back while Fernando Torres has been passed fit to lead the line on an afternoon that will see the Reds play in their brand new kit for the first time.

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Finnan, Insua, Carragher, Hyypia, Lucas, Mascherano, Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres. Subs: Itandje, Voronin, Benayoun, Alonso, Skrtel.
Reina
Finnan Carra Hyypia Insua
Lucas Mascherano
Kuyt Gerrard Babel
Torres

Atrong line-up by Rafa, glad to see Insua get a start:D, would of liked 1 or 2 more youngsters, i guess City is not a easy game.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts