Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's derby time.

Some call it the CL Derby but wtf it's just a derby so you're supposed to win it anyways.

A must win for Liverpool as we are trailing 7 points behind Everton in 4th and a game in hand on Bolton who are 5th with a two point lead.

Potential Lineup

-------Dudek----------
Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Warnock
Garcia-Hamann-Biscan-Riise
---------Gerrard----------
-----Baros/Morientes----------

I think rafa may play a 4-5-1 because we have two fit striekrs who don't play with each other well, mainly cuz baros can't play with anyone well, except the czech team. It'll be a tough game as everton are playing solid

Ps. anyone can make a match thread, i dont' always have time to do it. If you write one up I will sticky it so don't stand around like a bunch of turkeys and ask "why isn't there a match thread yet?"

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Agree on the last part :)

and I finally agree that THIS is a MUST win situation.. If we want ANY hopes of 4th spot.. this is the game that we need to win.. pointwise it would bring us to 4 points behind them.. it would also mean we're back in 5th spot as Bolton now occupy it after beating Norwich last night.. but the psychological effect is the major factor here..

Everton are solid.. but they have been FAR from their 1st half of the season form.. without Gravesen.. u can feel they're missing a lot.. to their credit.. Osman, Cahill and Carsley have tried lifting their game.. but bar the Villa away game.. Everton have looked piss poor (back to normal? ;))..

On the other hand, we haven't been setting the world on fire in the EPL.. we're winless in our last 3 EPL games (2 losses and a draw).. and we're only impressing in Europe.. our strikers have been drawing blanks too.. none in our last 3 EPL games.. and we seem to be playing without the ideas to open up defences..

Now is the time for that to change!! :fero:

Can't comment a lot on team selection.. if Kewell is still out, I'd expect the following:

Dudek, Finnan, Carra, Hyypia, Warnock, LG, Hamann, Gerrard, Riise, Baros, Moro..

With Everton's cautious approach (especially considering they'd have no issues with a point).. I would avoid going for a 4-5-1.. I'd rather we go for 4-4-2.. but giving Gerrard the green light to attack.. our main issue recently is Gerrard goes WAY back to receive the ball from Hyypia or Carra.. with Hamann next to him.. and Riise close by.. Gerrard's options are limited.. it's either a forward run that would mean he has to run past the whole team to get to the goal.. or one of those long balls for Baros, Moro or maybe LG (who's always falling back too) to chase.. or a simple pass to Didi, Finnan and co..

I believe we're being WAY too cautious.. especially in our passing.. Hamann and Finnan in particular.. we opt for the safe option of sending the ball back much more than what I believe should be the case.. thus making our approach very slow.. and allowing the opposing team time to get into their positions..

Oh and if Rafa could read this.. I respect u and everything.. but please.. please.. NO NUNEZ!! I hate the fact that whenever we're in need of someone to make a difference.. he brings him on.. and it very rarely has ANY effect on the game..!!

YNWA

·
Registered
996 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't mean to complain. I didn't know if I had to be a significant poster to start the OMT.

It goes without saying that tomorrow is a must win match. Let's go Reds. You'll Never Walk Alone.

-Scott

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Rafa running out of patience
by Paul Higham - created on 19 Mar 2005

Rafa Benitez has warned his inconsistent Liverpool players that he will make wholesale changes at the end of the season if they do not improve.

The Spanish coach has become increasingly frustrated with Liverpool's in and out form so far this season, and will not be afraid to make changes in the summer.

Liverpool have done well to make the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League, but in the Premiership they have been hit and miss.

Benitez says that he is running out of patience with some of his players, and will reveal his ruthless side in the summer if things do not improve.

"I have been thinking about our inconsistency all the time, and it is a question of what I do about it," said Benitez.

"How long does my patience last? The answer is I keep working with the players, and if it still isn't happening at the end of the season, I have the chance to change thinks.

"I have an idea of how we should be playing but when you look at our form you have to say we are still far away from it.

"I want to see the Liverpool team that beat Olympiakos, Arsenal and Bayer Leverkusen. Those are the standards we should be maintaining on a regular basis.

"I have experienced this before. When I was in my second season with Valencia as defending champions and only finished fifth, I analysed things calmly and we won the league and Uefa Cup the following year."

Benitez faces a massive derby game against Everton on Sunday, and he has revealed his admiration for David Moyes' side.

The Anfield chief insists he has more quality in his squad, but would like his troops to show more of the battling qualities displayed by The Toffees.

"Everton are doing very well and are having a very good season. They work hard as a team and all the players have the same idea. In Valencia we worked like that and it is very difficult to beat those sides.

"We have more quality than them but it's not always about quality in football. Sometime we haven't had the right mentality in some games, or we have lost concentration early."
----------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more with u Rafa!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
GO REDS !!!! :thumbsup:

and make my day :D

Terek 2 - 0 Krylya
Inter 3 - 2 Viola

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
1-0 Gerrard

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
2-0 Garcia

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Lets hammer these cloggers.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
And they know it so they've resorted to kicking anything in red.

Morientes - Off injured
Hamann - Off Injured
Warnock - Off Injured
Garcia - Injured but hobbling around the pitch to make up the numbers since we used our 3 subs in the first 40 minutes.

Who knows, maybe Everton have a cunning plan to injure another 4 of our players so the game has to be cancelled.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Reds owning the Blues for most of the 1st half.

1st goal from Gerrard on 27th min. Hamann stroke a short freekick into the path of Gerrard and Stevie G placed a low ground shot past the Everton wall, beyond Martyn into the low left corner.

2nd goal was made in España. Morientes struck a dipping half volley from 25 yards. Martyn pushed the shot against the crossbar and the on-rushing Luis Garcia simply headed the rebound into an empty net.

An injury-plague first half for Pool though, as Warnock, Hamann and Morientes all had to leave the field injured, and Benitez was forced to use all his 3 subs before half-time.

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Luis Garcia looks to be struggling with a knock he took in the first half, but has to soldier on or Pool will be down to 10 men

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
CardiffRed said:
And they know it so they've resorted to kicking anything in red.

Morientes - Off injured
Hamann - Off Injured SELF INFLICTED!
Warnock - Off Injured
Garcia - Injured but hobbling around the pitch to make up the numbers since we used our 3 subs in the first 40 minutes.

Who knows, maybe Everton have a cunning plan to injure another 4 of our players so the game has to be cancelled.
Cahill I admit was guilty, but now Baros has helped even it up with his hack!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What hack?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
Back in it - Cahill!!!
With Liverpool down to 9 men you should at least get a draw, as underserved as it would be.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts