1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ARSENAL-------LIVERPOOL

VENUE: Higbury

---SQUADS-----------------------------------------------------------​
Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Hyypia, Kromkamp, Traore, Warnock, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Xabi Alonso, Kewell, Fowler, Crouch, Cisse, Morientes, Dudek

Arsenal (from): Lehmann, Flamini, Senderos, Djourou, Toure, Eboue, Fabregas, Gilberto, Diaby, Hleb, Henry, Bergkamp, Ljungberg, Adebayor, Lupoli, Larsson, Reyes, Song, Pires, Walcott, Almunia
----------------------------------------------------------------------
LIVERPOOL TEAM (PROBABLE)

4-2-3-1

------------------Dudek--------------------
Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia/Agger--Warnock/ Traore :scared:
------------------------------------------------
-----------Gerrard (C)-------Xabi----------
Garcia--------Morientes--------Kewell--
----------Cisse/Fowler/ Crouch----------

or
4-4-2

------------------Dudek---------------
Finnan--Carragher--Hyypia/Agger--Warnock/ Traore
----------------------------------------------
-------------Xabi------Gerrard/ Didi------
Gerrard/ Garcia----------------------Kewell
------Folwer/ Cisse---Moro/ Crouch------

Liverpool have recently picked up the habit of dropping stupid points with good performances but a lack of goals costing us dear, the rot needs to be stopped on a permanent basis, the following serial of fixtures can ultimately dictate the destiny of shape of our season, so we need to build momentum and continuing winning.
Playing at away we need to be tough and take the iniative from the start, maintaining ball retention and attempting to get a grip of the game through midfield. We need to be playing at a high tempo and be deadly infront of goal, step forward Robbie Fowler :proud:, he has returned and now is needed now more than ever. We need to cut out mistakes and build up on a winning run again, as we are entering a tough glut of fixtures which can swing our season. We also need to keep close in our battle for 2nd place. The final pass and finishing needs to be worked on as well as the creative part of our game, we need to focus on clinical finishing and once we start scoring confidence usually follows, hopefully Rafa will have spotted this and focussed on it in training, lets hope it pays off :hopefull:
  • Rafa has stated now that he has a fully fit-esque squad for a sustained period in his Anfield tenure, though Bolo is out for the season, hard luck as he was finding form. Sissoko and his pitbull antics will be missed as he can really help grab the grasp of a game.:frownani:
  • Gerrard I feel will play along side Xabi in the middle and they I feel are the two players who make the foundation solid and give the creative spark and can control the game. Also Kewell will most likely play left midfield roaming with Morientes in the central deep role and Garcia on the righr, roaming positions with all 3 exchanging positions from time to time, we need goals to reflect our play and therefore I feel Kewell and Garcia can play an essential part, as they are a source of goals :thumbsup:
  • The strikers are unpredicatable as always :depress:, Morientes has lost his feet and seems to become less effective game by game. When Crouch plays we focus on long balls :yuck: and the game goes by Moro, who is becoming less effective and that has been reflected in his play. Cisse is the unpredictable one, he can do some awesome things then miss a one on one sitter, but his pace and his enthusiasm and the fact he's the most dangerous striker suggest he should play. Fowler is a hope for goals, though his fitness isn't the best and Rafa has stated he sees Fowler as an impact player off the bench and not as a starter.
  • The importance of a win are high, considering the league is starting to take a rigid shape and we need to maintain a UCL place and if possible challenge for 2nd, we had momentum and I'd love for us to sustain that again. We are third and if we win can closer to second :D:thumbsup: this would atleast show we're competing again.
  • A key part of us winning this match will be the defence, we have fifteen clean sheets in EPL a greater tally than what we had in EPL all last season, we should try and build upon that though we've started to make mistakes, if we cut out the defensive mistakes we can build on that as a foundation and go for the win.
  • We havent had a 5 game+ winning run in EPL for a long time prior to this season:eekani::frownani: I can't remember when we went on a major winning run last (2003?), but hopefully this can be a foundation and we can win and build momentum and go up the league.
  • We can win this match, though we'll have to cut out the defensive mistakes, fight and be tough when required and maintain the ball and not give it away. Also creating chances and clinical finishing will help in achieving a result, if we do all of these and take our chances we can win, though this is a statement of the obvious :D
COME ON REDMEN!!!!!
YNWA

INJURY FRONT for
LIVERPOOL
Bolo Zenden- Out for a month, with a knee injury or something, really harsh as he was starting to find some good form forL:iverpool, hopefully i's a quick recovery

Mohammed Sissoko- Eye Injury, has got better and may not be as serious as first thought, may be a possible return for end of season fixtures. Hopefully.
  • NO MAJOR FIRST TEAM SQUAD INJURIES, HONEST!!!!!
(FIRST SUSTAINED PERIOD IN RAFA'S REIGN) :eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani::eekani:

THE INJURY FRONT :D:tongue:

COME ON REDMEN!!!!!
YNWA

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
We can win the midfield battle easily, but as you guys said scoring will be a major problem again I guess.

I think this is what we will play:
Code:
______Reina

Finnan__Hyypia (Agger?)___Carra___Riise/Traore

Gerrard____Didi___Xabi___Kewell

_______Garcia____
__________Crouch

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
spurs losing is a great result for liverpool as even if we lose to arsenal we have some leeway.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
liver bird said:
spurs losing is a great result for liverpool as even if we lose to arsenal we have some leeway.
yeah i was kinda hoping Chelsea would win, still it's not like I'd be sad if they lost. But that goal by Gallas sort of relieved me but in fairness it matters to Arsenal a lot more then us, ironically...

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I didn't realise you were worried about dropping to 4th. :sweeteye:

if its mathematically possible then I am worried ,we can't score ,it takes 20 shots at goal to get one goal ,it hardly fills me with confidence ,anyway I just want liverpool to secure their place in the top four as soon as possible ,arsenal will have confidence from going through in the champions league so I think the best liverpool can hope for tomorrow is a draw.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you'll be fine, Spurs will never go on a good run, the only reason they are 4th is because we have been so pathetic, they have had loads of opportunities to pull away from us and haven't taken any of them.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
considering tottenham have only had the league to think about and are still behind liverpool and not that far infront of arsenal shows them in a worse ligth ,their run up to the end of the season looks pretty difficult too.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
nor is our runup going to be easy, but we have less fixtures to play now anyways.

i hope we can hang on to at least 3rd but 2nd is getting harder with our incosistency. manutd always finish up well.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I missed on sending my quote on the Benfica game (before it was closed), but I don't think there is much to add.. don't believe we were as bad as some made it seem.. but lady luck was defenitly not wearing red on that night.. and if ever we needed an example to prove our strikers' problem.. that game would be the best..

Anyway.. life goes on.. although going out of the CL (in that fashion) really felt hard to swallow.. and although I fear an immediate effect on morale and results.. I'm hoping for a rebound..

Our recent history at Highbury hasn't been a good one.. last 2 games were losses in games Arsenal have overwhelmed us in.. and with Riise out for 3 weeks.. I think Traore will move back to left back with either Hyypia returning or Agger coming in..

I expect more of a 4-5-1 in this game.. with Hamann, Gerrard, Xabi, Kewell and LG in midfield.. and Crouch the loan striker.. Can't say I'm confident with any of our strikers at the moment.. and none of them can do much as lone strikers..

Arsenal on the other hand are on the up.. especially after their great display against Real Madrid.. so keeping them at bay won't be simple..

Hoping for a good solid performance.. and some concentration by Crouch and co.. they sometimes make it seem that it was easier to score!

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In terms of the match I think Rafa will go with his 4-2-3-1. I think Warnock may get the edge over Traore for left back and if Hyypia is fit he'll play, if not then I'm presuming it will be Agger. Personally with the lack of goals and strikers not doing it, I'd like to see Cisse given the chance as a striker with Gerrard behind in the advanced role, he played a lot of last season in.

Finnan-Carra-Hyypia-Warnock​
------Xabi--Hamann------​
Garcia----Gerrard----Harold​
-----------Cisse-----------​
This is the team I'd go with, I think Rafa might go for Crouch ahead of Cisse and Fowler playing upfront with Gerrard, Xabi, LG and harold :pp in midfield. :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Can't see Rafa starting Cisse as a lone striker.. He never starts him with ANOTHER striker.. so alone up there he'd be like a sitting duck..

I agree that Luis Garcia might be nudged out of the game.. he's been off form and Rafa has made clear that he expects more from him.. Although if that's the case.. why is Moro starting and Cisse not?

Of course that leads us back to the striker issue.. and IMO the only player who actually could have an excuse is Cisse.. he gets a start once in every 10 or so games.. and is immediately dropped back to the subs bench the next game.. and when he's brought on, it's for 10 minutes and on the right wing! How can he be judged based on that? Throw in the fact that Morientes hasn't been winning any admirers lately, yet he's started most of our games..

To be honest, I'd go with the players with the most hunger.. Cisse definetly has it but can't control it to his advantage.. I'd start with him and Fowler.. and bring on Crouch later on.. Kewell, Hamann, Xabi and Gerrard in midfield..

The defensive line is a major issue if u ask me.. Finnan/Kromkamp are fine on the right.. but Carragher + anyone in the center will be the talking point (especially against the talent that is Henry).. and whether it's Traore OR Warnock, I'm not comfortable.. Ljungberg should have a field day!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Reina

Finnan
Carra
Hyypia
Warnock

Kromkamp
Alonso
Hamann
Gerrard
Garcia

Crouch

the liverpool team ,looks like 4-5-1 garcia supporting crouch .

1 - 20 of 136 Posts