Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Match news here

A win puts us through to the next round, a loss will make next stage qualification harder.

Steven Gerrard to return, Baros and Cisse are out.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
you got a funny team with Mellor, Biscan both playing, Kewell and Josemi dropped.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris Kirkland 22
Jamie Carragher 23
Steve Finnan 3
Sami Hyypia 4
Djimi Traore 21
Igor Biscan 25
Steven Gerrard 8
Dietmar Hamann 16
Sanz Luis Garcia 10
John Arne Riise 6
Neil Mellor 33

starting lineup according to ESPN

--------kirkland--------
finnan-carra-hyypia-traore
gerrard-hamann-biscan-riise
---------garcia---------
---------mellor-----------

it think thats what rafa is going for.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerzy Dudek 1
Gonzalez Josemi 17
Xabi Alonso 14
Salif Alassane Diao 15
Harry Kewell 7
Stephen Warnock 28
Florent Sinama Pongolle 24

bench

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not a good result (although from what I've read Saviola's goal should not have counted and it's possible that Hyypia's header did cross the line). We need our players back. This coming weeks will be very difficult.

Soccernet said that we will need to win by 2 goals over Olympiakos to make it out of the group. Wouldn't a a 1 goal win do it? Looking at the table we have 7 points and Olympiakos has 10. If we win that match we would be tied at 10. Looking at the goal differential we are currently +1 and they are currently +2. If we win by 1 goal wouldn't that make us +2 and take them down to +1, there for putting us ahead of them in the group? Then there's the Monaco situation. If they lose and we win then Monaco wouldn't make it out of the group. Not a good situation for us to be in but I was just wondering if it's really true that we need to win the Olympiakos match by 2 goals.

Also, why didn't Rafa start and or play Alonso. He was on the bench. I haven't heard anything about him being hurt.

-Scott

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no idea but i'm not liking the idea that we are playing arsenal this weekend. especially when they need to bounce back. won't make for a happy viewing.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
skamen said:
Not a good result (although from what I've read Saviola's goal should not have counted and it's possible that Hyypia's header did cross the line). We need our players back. This coming weeks will be very difficult.
Looked like a handball by Saviola, but the Header from Hyypia was not over the line.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
You have to win by 2 goals because Olympiakos beat you by a goal.If two teams are equal on points then head to head will count and after that the amount of goals scored.Dont know who's better on the latter.

Shit performance by both side played on a terrible pitch.Saviola's goal should not have stood but hyppia's header was not over the line as well.Liverpool are in trouble because the team has no attacking options and look as toothless as ever.

Arsenal will be warming their hands in anticipation come Sunday.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
The goal should not have stood and we were done in by bad luck. Our other attacking option Luis Garcia off after 3 minutes was another twist in the tale, not that he could have given some goals but what we need now is some goals, any goals!!

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
As for qualification, we needed to win 2-0 at home. The script is simple, but it would have been easier had Deportivo done something to Olympiakos. Under normal circumstances, I would have been confident of us getting that win, but this is not normal circumstances anymore and even getting a goal, any goal, is difficult now, so I am hopeful, but not confident.

On hindsight, our win at Deportivo was really crucial. If we got nothing, we would have been out by now.

paw;)

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
It is tough knowing that save for Gerrard, no one can score for us. Not Kewell (goalless for 9 months), not Hamann (can't hit the target if his life depends on it) and not Xabi either. I am not critising them (although it appeared like it), but we need goals. Badly. And I can't see ourselves getting many, if any, from the current fit players we have.

paw;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
1-0 would be enough for Liverpool, I think. Then both teams would be level on points and head-to-head results. But Liverpool would have +2 goal difference, Olympiakos +1.

In case of Liverpool victory by any score and Monaco draw, all three teams would have 10 points. At least +1 head-to-head goal difference for Liverpool, +0 for Olympiakos at their best, and surely -1 for Monaco.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know what you mean paw, i can't see it either. we're left terribly thin at the moment, and all the discussions we had when Owen was leaving proved true. losing Cisse like that was a terrible blow, and Baros out for any amount of time is straining our systems.

its possible we're going to start going on a bad run now, i'm not looking forward to facing arsenal this weekend.then tottenham, then in-form villa, and then Olympiakos. It's not going to be a pretty 4 weeks. we're looking at possibly dropping 9 points and losing out on qualification to the next CL round. Rafa has a huge dilemma in choosing strikers.
I think Kewell just needs games. Games against poor opponents. unfortunately he's not goign to get that. I'd play him against Arsenal, what have we to lose? it's only a matter of time before he breaks his drought. FSP draws a lot of fouls so he could be helpful. I'd go with:

---kewell--fsp---
riise-alonso-hamann-gerrard
traore-hyypia-carra-finnan

since Luis and Josemi are probably out, finnan slots back in the right and push gerrard to the right. it's not his strength but at least he can send in good crosses. it doesn't look good but we gotta see ourselves through this.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

1. Agree about the Saviola 'handball' goal and that Sami's header never crossed the line.. excellent reflex save by Roma

2. Agree it was a poor match.. Actually, besides Man U and Bayern's wins.. and Real's draw.. most of last night's matches were poor in quality as their importance meant they were tight matches

3. As soon as I saw LG jumping in pain.. I knew he was out for at least a month.. very big blow to us if u ask me.. I thought Traore was out too after that nasty fall.. then Josemi completed the night with a very bad head injury.. wish them all the best..

4. The way I see it.. we don't need 2-0.. as vol mentioned.. 1-0 would put us in a better situation.. Goal Difference would be on our side (we'd be +2, they'd be +1).. while we'd be equal in our head to head results.. Of course that is assuming Monaco wins at the Riazor.. and I think if we win 1-0.. we'd have scored more goals.. or at least equal to them.. 2-0 would kill any doubts.. but with the current state of our squad.. I'd worry about 1-0 first..

Arsenal next week is not a game I'm looking forward to at all.. But I would certainly go for FSP over Mellor.. FSP's speed against Cygan who's such a liability could help a lot.. Mellor on the other hand has not been able to impress on any of the outings he's had (other than the 2 goals in the Carling Cup)..

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Two goals in the Carling Cup for Mellor meant pants to me, if you ask me. I will go for Pongolle, simply because of his hunger and his eye for goal. Our squad is thin. Really thin. I have a feeling that Gerrard does not feel motivated in the game, or perhaps it is only his second game back, but I hope he does not give up on us.

paw;)

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what the heck?

anyways,

traore is out, garcia is out for a month, josemi is stitched up
nunez plays for the reserves this week. 2 weeks off from match fitness

·
Registered
996 Posts
How unlucky can we be? I know I should stop feeling sorry for us but my god how many injuries can we suffer at the same time? Just looking at my post from the begining of yesterday's match, I asked how many injuries we could have and that I didn't want to know the answer. Well, now I REALLY don't want to know the answer. Here's to hoping for some good luck to help out or very very thin squad. We will need all the help we can get in scoring goals.

I also really think we should give Pongolle a chance now (although we probably don't have a choice as to whether we should or not).
-Scott

1 - 20 of 35 Posts