Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Win by 2-0 and we are through, a loss or a draw would see us eliminated. The future of our CL campaign rests on this game against a sturdy greek side we have failed to defeat.

All build-up match talk here,
post predictions in paw's thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1-0 or *any* win by a two goal margin gives us a *certainty* of progressing to the next round. however, monaco need a result better than ours for us to be eliminated. eg, if we draw, monaco needs a win. if we lose, monaco need a draw or a win. so even if we completely bottle this game, we've still got a shot if monaco are the mugs i consider them to be ;] depor are a good side and will hopefully be playing like heck in order to save face.

-p

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Interesting, hope we can win this by more than 2 goals to garuntee qualification, we need it very badly, read somewhere that Baros is to come back straight into the side for this game, we need a fit Baros very badly now.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am banging on the fortunate ones who will be at Anfield to provide the atmosphere for another great European Night...

Me not so fortunate... however u can bet I'll be a real nuisance to my neighhours (the match will be played in the wee hours over here) and shout myself hoarse in support of my beloved Reds..

Come on Rafa's Red Army...Hoooya!!!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hopefully Baros is fit and plays well. Hoping for the best. We need to play to get the job done on our own but if Deportivo can help us out that would be nice as well.

-Scott

·
Registered
574 Posts
whatever happens, i'm still confident our midfield can dominate Rivaldo & co.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ok, i had a brain fart. monaco have more points than us, so we need a win as per my previous post. just getting a better result than them won't do it.

-p

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well I'm REALLY excited for this one.. God knows how I can wait the coming 30 hours till the game starts!!! :D

IMO, the return of Baros would be a HUGE boost.. but I don't know how ready he is to actually make a comeback..

Oh and I still don't understand how a 1-0 win won't be enough for us?!

·
Registered
835 Posts
1-0 would be enough.

Table:
Code:
Liverpool   6  3 1 2  4-2 [b]+2[/b] 10
Olympiacos  6  3 1 2  4-3 [b]+1[/b] 10
Head-to-head table (equal):
Code:
Liverpool   2  1 0 1  1-1  3
Olympiacos  2  1 0 1  1-1  3
So, Liverpool's better goal difference would matter.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
There was a massive article about only needing one on .tv

Hopefully we should be able to knock 2 or 3 past this lot at Anfield.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Forca Liverpool! :shades:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Kop has to stand up and be counted.The boisterous Liverpool crowd could effectively make its 12 against 11 and it would give a huge boost to the depleted side.A must win game if ever there was one but with Rafa's pedigree on such ocassions,I'd be quietly confident if I were you lot.(thankfully I am not!:pp)

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Qualification Situation

GROUP A: [+]
Olympiakos require only a point from their game at Liverpool to qualify. They will win the group if they beat Rafael Benitez's side. If they lose to Liverpool, then their fate will depend on both the scoreline in that match and Monaco's performance against Depor.

Permutations:

If Liverpool fail to beat Olympiakos: Monaco and Olympiakos advance regardless of the result at the Riazor

Liverpool 1-0 Olympiakos and Monaco fail to win: Liverpool and Olympiakos qualify.

Liverpool 1-0 Olympiakos and Monaco win: Liverpool and Monaco qualify.

Liverpool 2-0 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco lose: Liverpool and Olympiakos qualify.

Liverpool 2-0 Olympiakos and Monaco draw: Liverpool and Monaco qualify.

Liverpool 2-0 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco win: Liverpool and Monaco qualify.

Liverpool 2-1 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco fail to win: Liverpool and Olympiakos qualify.

Liverpool 2-1 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco win: Olympiakos and Monaco qualify.

Liverpool 3-0 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco lose: Liverpool and Olympiakos qualify.

Liverpool 3-0 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco draw: Liverpool and Monaco qualify.

Liverpool 3-0 Olympiakos, or higher equivalent, and Monaco win: Liverpool and Monaco qualify.

Depor have already been eliminated.
Lets see if pool can win this one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very hard game to predict. Both these teams have something in common though, they were both robbed by the referee in Monaco. Being Greek, I will have to say that it will finish 1-1 and Oly will go through.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I cant see a win for either side in this game. 1-1 or 0-0 Draw. OFSP will have to keep waiting for an away win.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Olympiacos lost all five games they played in England, 0-17 (!) in aggregate.
Liverpool won all three home games against Greek sides.
Hamann is suspended, Gerrard will be if booked.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vol said:
Olympiacos lost all five games they played in England, 0-17 (!) in aggregate.
Liverpool won all three home games against Greek sides.
Hamann is suspended, Gerrard will be if booked.

facts don't matter now really, it's a new day and age and the greeks are still grinning from Euro2004. We can't take this lightly we've seen what Olympiakos can do. goodluck to the reds tomorrow is all i can say.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Good luck guys. Please be careful, Olympiakos is not an easy opponent. Watch out their captain Predrag Djordjevic, he might be less technical, but he is a tough opponent who always did his job consistently.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hamann's suspension puts a screw into my imagined formation :)

I agree with Shaf (now that's a first!! :D) that the Kop and the rest of the Anfield fans will make a hell of a difference.. the players and manager know that too.. Gerrard has asked the fans to keep the field noisy and back the team to the end of the match.. and I think Roma fans can tell how their team felt when they came on that crunch night 3 years ago! :fero:

With Didi out.. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Biscan slotted in.. for once, our line up is very unclear.. as we have lots of question marks over who will start.. Traore? Biscan? Josemi? Baros?

I would go with this formation:

Kirky (I want Dudek but I know it's not the time for the change)

Finnan--Carra-Hyypia--Traore

Gerrard--Biscan--Xabi--Riise

-----FSP---Kewell-----------

I can expect something similar with a 4-5-1 formation (ala the game against Arsenal).. with maybe Mellor in for FSP.. but I'd prefer FSP for his skills and speed (over Mellor's brawn as I haven't seen that it's made that much of a difference in headers and clashes)..

less than 11 hours to go :)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts