Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what is there to be said that isn't painfully obvious?

We need to win, if we do win we'll been in with a chance of skipping ahead of Fulham and certainly keep the pressure up on 4th spot. We've got a crap record at the Bridge, and the odds are stacked against us. We know what Chelsea have done to Newcastle and Man. Utd there, but the loss against Bolton shows they're by no means unbeatable. A win would be an unbelievable confidence boost naturally but in the same way defeat could be crippling both in terms of morale and league position. Unfortunately it's looking more and more unlikely that Gerrard will play but Owen and Finnan should return- Henchoz at right back is not a thing I want to see again. :dazed:

Matchday squad not announced yet but I'll pin them up when they are. This is the XI I think will start;

GK: Dudek

DL: Riise
DC: Hyypia
DC: Biscan
DR: Finnan (Henchoz if he's not ready)

ML: Kewell
MC: Hamann
MC: Murphy
MR: Diouf

FC: Heskey
FC: Owen

For me Pongolle is more effective as an early second half sub if things are not going well for us (he could easily exploit Desailly and Terry's lack of speed if they play) and we'll need Heskey's power against Gallas and Terry so I'd go with the big man. However, if Owen doesn't play it will probably be Pongolle and Heskey anyway.

Strangely looking forward to this one. :)

C'MON REDS! :fero:

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
agree wiht your lineup.

in case diouf has another flop i think houllier should bring on Smicer before too much damage is done.

i see you've not included Henchoz in the Starting XI, i haven't seen a game for a while, so i suppose he is not playing as well as he used to?

·
International
1,878 Posts
Bollocks, isn't it? To find ourselves in this situation when we have no choice but to field a patched up defence against the likes of Chelski.

After spending like there is no tomorrow in midfielders and forwards, we seemed to have gone down to bare bones in the defence area so much so that instead of reinstating the Henchoz and Hyppia partnership in the center of defence, we have to plonk him there as a make-shift right-back.

A few seasons ago, we were crying out for a proper left back. Then Riise came and we seemed like we sorted that problem position (but not now). Now, we have a problem on our right if Finnan and Carragher (who shouldn't even be playing as a left/right-back in the first place) get injured. So, we are left with Biscan (who has since moved to the centre and totally disrupting the Henchoz/Hyppia partnership), Diao (we know how he fared there) and Ossy.

Did anyone question the Frenchman on how he spent his money?

Chelski can tear teams apart, especially through the flanks and unless we get that part of our play sorted out (which may mean Henchoz or anyone playing above and beyond his abilities as a centre-back playing as a right-back), I won't expect us to win this, especially when we are talking about Stamford Bridge.

And please don't throw in the talk about Bolton. They have different qualities from us that made a victory there against Chelski possible:

(a) They have players who are motivated enough to dig deep and play FOR the team;
(b) They have a gaffer who knows the strengths and weaknesses of each player well and plays them the way they should be playing for the team;
(c) They have established veterans like Djorkie and Okacha to stabilise the team; and
(d) They play a good passing game and not some predictable Gerrard-long-ball-to-Heskey shit.

A draw would be a bonus for our fight for the Inter-Toto Cup place. I will hardly be surprised if we leave the Bridge with nothing.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I don't see why Biscan needs to start period! Henchoz back with Hyypia please.. and IF we need someone to fill in at right back.. THEN play Biscan there.. there's NO Duff this time.. Gronkjaer on the right should be handled by Riise well.. Diouf can pin Bridge back.. it's the middle of midfield that scares me.. Lampard, Makelele and the support of Mutu and whoever will play in for Duff against Murphy and Hamann.. so actually its against Hamann.. Not very promising.. especially since IMO Lampard has been the most improved player this season..

In defence.. I'm kinda hoping they go for a Terry-Desailly partnership.. and play Johnson in defence.. a T-D defence is much slower than a defence with Gallas in there.. while Johnson attacks a lot.. giving Kewell options..

To me, the fact that we seem in NEED of Heskey to start is a even bigger reason as to why we need Cisse now! but anyway.. I'd go to the extreme to avoid having Heskey on.. RM, u were mentioning his power.. errmm.. what?!! for a bloke that big.. I'm betting Joori (my nearly 2 year old daughter) shows more power and determination than he does! :groan: I'd go for a 4-5-1.. Owen with Kewell right behinf him.. Smicer-Murphy-Diouf with Murphy kinda pinning himseld to the kick off point to avoid exposing Hamann.. and Hamann behind them.. Heskey to me is a liability.. he only makes the defence have an easier game marking him AND dealing with Owen.. and he costs us a player!! agree on Sinama coming in at the start of the second half.. a tired Desailly would go nuts..

as for defence.. I think Henchoz back is a must.. Henchoz on Mutu.. and Hyypia on Crespo.. Biscan on Mutu or Crespo is a nightmare coming true!!

·
International
1,878 Posts
Yasir:

I am afraid, judging by his performance against Yeovil, FSP is starting to look as though he is heading for a burn out.

Unless Baros is fit and Smicer is heading for a surge in form, Heskey will have to start.

4-5-1 midfield? Man for man, do you think we can do something about the Chelski midfield, notwithstanding having only Hamann as our only true-blue ball-winner and we risk giving the possession of the ball constantly if Murphy is to fit in Gerrard's role? That will leave us with Smicer and Kewell who are not ball-winners, are they?

I am afraid it will be a game which the Toad will get the team to keep punting long balls in hope of unsettling Desailly/Terry/Gallas, by-passing their talented midfield.

And Henchoz at right back? Does he have the pace in the first place to play there? Against Yeovil, no problem, but Chelski?

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi LB..

The reasons why I'm going for a 4-5-1:

1. Avoiding Heskey ;) Yes, I've lost that much faith in him!

2. To deal with any strong attacking team.. the best way is always to pack the midfield with players and hope for a counter to strike them.. Bolton did that at the Bridge (and were very lucky not to end up losing in that game).. Fulham did it against Arsenal and Man U.. So why can't we?! Man to man.. they have the better side.. but I think we can at least make their job not so easy.. I'd go for something like this:

-------------Dudek

Finnan--Henchoz--Hyypia--Riise

-------------Hamann--------------

Diouf------Murphy-----Kewell

--------Smicer---------------------

--------------------Owen----------

With Kewell and Smicer changing positions as they can.. Can't say we can have a big say offensively.. especially with out recent form.. but lets at least make them winning one hell of a tough job :fero:

·
International
1,878 Posts
If we played like we did against Yeovil, then we will be royally screwed, notwithstanding the number of players we pack in midfield or even a 4-6-0 formation.

However, if we played LIKE Yeovil, then we may just have a chance of grabbing a draw.

Still, miracles can happen. Who knows? Maybe Houllier will be booted out before the game and we have a new gaffer.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
We're the clear underdog, but in the last month Chelsea haven't been playing good at all, with home losses to Bolton, away lose at Charlton and maybe you can add the draw with Watford last Saturday. Chelsea have a better crope of players but seems like it might take them time to work as a team after all. their defense is vulnerable recently, so maybe this will be good for us. I hope to see Sullivan starts for them in goal again. :)

As for us, any lineup without Heskey and with Owen in it sounds good enough to me. ;)

·
International
1,878 Posts
On the other hand, with that Russian watching their poor (poor in their standards but brilliant in ours) performances recently and the transfer window has opened, the players may be motivated to play as well as they could so that they can have a chance of playing first-team football when the new players come in.

Ten years ago, we would have faced this game with confidence that we will get at least a point.

That shows how far we have declined.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
We've got a bad record at Stamford Bridge in the last few years regardless though. And who says we can't get a point? I wouldn't be surprised at all. We're not much worse then Watford ;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I agree Chelsea were not up to form against Bolton.. although LB was right, their bad form would have been excellent for us..

vs. Charlton.. their defence fell apart but they were controlling midfield and attack.. shots on target at the end of the game were Charlton 8 Chelsea 13..

As for Watford, that was not the first team on the pitch.. as if saying our team was off form last season cuz we lost to Grimsby in last season's league cup..

Lots of question marks on this game.. who'll play.. who'll play WELL.. we're very unpredictable.. and don't know what we can offer.. same goes for Chelsea.. lets keep our fingers crossed

and I'm with Raanan.. I don't mind if we play Dudek in attack as long as Heskey doesn't play..!!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Yasir said:
As for Watford, that was not the first team on the pitch.. as if saying our team was off form last season cuz we lost to Grimsby in last season's league cup..
Hmm fair point a few subs played but looking at their lineup it looks perfectly strong to me:

Sullivan, Johnson, Desailly, Gallas, Babayaro, Gronkjaer, Makelele, Lampard, Geremi, Gudjohnsen, Mutu.

I can't remember our lineup against Grimsby but surely it was weaker? ;)

About the Charlton game, I watched that one and I have to agree their defense lost the game for them, some unbelivable mistakes there, but I wasn't particularly impressed with their attack either, bad game all around for them.

I think with a bit of luck and another bad display from them we can get good result.

·
Registered
811 Posts
we r obviously the underdog here, i'll be happy if we could salvage a draw from this match...........if there is any hope it would be kewell......
hey, y couldn't i put the smileys........my toolbar displays something like error on page:argh:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Is it confirmed that Owen is playing? I thought it was. I thought that he was fit enough to play against Yeovil but that they sat him so he would be guaranteed for Chelsea but a recent soccernet article made it sound like he's been ruled out. Does anybody know what the real deal is? Gerrard is confirmed out, right?

-Scott

·
International
1,878 Posts
This preview is from Football365:

Chelsea v Liverpool
The last time these sides meet at Stamford Bridge, on the final day of last season, a Champions League place was up for grabs; this fixture doesn't carry such a tangible reward for the winner but for both it is a crunch fixture.

Liverpool, and particularly their manager, desperately need a positive result to defy their growing band of critics. While a second defeat in twelve months on the King's Road wouldn't spell the definitive end of their Champions League qualification hopes, it would be a severe set-back.

But for Chelsea, defeat is all-but out of the question if they wish to hang on to the coat-tails of the leading pair. Four points behind ManYoo after winning just two of their last five, further setbacks just cannot be contemplated.

On the team news front, Steven Gerrard's definite absence will possibly be tempered by Michael Owen's (remember him?) return. Hernan Crespo is likely to replace Adrian Mutu in attack for the hosts, but sooner or later Claudio Ranieri will surely have to decide on what is his preferred strikeforce and stick with it.

If Chelsea are to win the Premiership, he needs to decide sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I hope we can play well, but after watching the game against Yeovil, I have serious doubts. I mean, we took more than an hour just to break Yeovil down and that itself is laughable, considering that their record signing is not even half of our cheapest buy. Plus most of the time, we were just strolling the ball in the middle, with little to show for. Man, these players are really degenerating week in week out. I seriously wonder what kind of training they do.

paw;)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts