Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OMT - Premiership - Charlton - Liverpool

Tough game tonight. They are level with us on points, while Everton have a pretty easy game tommorow against Norwich so we desperately need a win tonight.

Hamann is suspended but Kewell, Smicer and ALT could be back for this game, although I don't expect any of them to start.

Probable line up:

--------------Dudek-------------
-Finnan--Hyypia--Carra--Traore--
-Garcia--Gerrard--Biscan--Riise---
--------Baros---Morientes--------

Unless Rafa decides to take a risk and start any one of the above mentioned 3.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Big match for us (although I tend to say this about every match...). I do remember us having trouble w/ Charlton in recent years (especially away). I would very much like to see Morientes get on the scoresheet and obviously for us to get the 3 points. Hopefully the presence of the Carra-Hyypia partnership (along w/ Finnan on the right) will help stabilize our defense.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
got it here on cable tv at malaysia but another channel's showing the arse-Mancs game.

1-0 to Charlton. Bartlett scored. No details of the goal. We had 11 attempts on goal, with 3 on target. Charlton had only 2 attempts, both were on target and 1 went in. We had 59 percent possesion. (all the stats are from soccernet.)

I hope we will come out a better team second half.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Listening to the radio broadcast online. Sounds like we're constantly attacking. Come on Reds!!!!!!!!

-Scott

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
THERE WAS SOEMTHING IN THE AIR TONIGHT
THE TIME IS RIGHT
FOR NANDO...

HE'LL BE SCORING GOALS FOR YOU AND ME
FOR LFC
FERNANDO...

morooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice goal by Mori! :cool: Beats the defender and fires an unstoppable shot! Was involved in the second goal aswell...

Looks like a deserved win, we dominated, we missed many chances but we managed to win it in the end!

Let's hope for better times now, Smicer, ALT and Kewell should be available for the next game too. :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
man from following the game in ESPN I tough we were going to lose after many shots we had. I'm happy theat Moro score, cuz the first one is the hardes to score once you score they just keep on comeing.

·
International
1,878 Posts
This is good enough, on a day when the Arses got beaten by the Mancs.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Things that impressed me:

1. Shots: Charlton 4 Liverpool 19
2. Shots on target: Charlton 4 Liverpool 11
3. Possession in the 2nd half: Charlton 38% Liverpool 62%
4. Traore's 2 VERY important tackles.. and he actually had a shot from 35 yards!! then again.. HYYPIA had a SHOT on goal!!
5. Continuously attacking in the 2nd half till we got our goals
6. Moro's goal.. a beauty!!
7. Riise's goal.. Good team build up.. and I think Riise is getting close to Baros' tally :)
8. We were level on points with Boro and Charlton.. we won away, Charlton lost at home (duh! :D) and Boro lost away to Pompey.. gets us a bit seperated.. I don't expect the gap with Everton to shrink today.. but I can still hope :)
9. THIS is how we should be playing against 'smaller' clubs away.. not the frightened or uninterested crap we saw against the Saints.. even the first half was a rather good one.. we had possession, chances and were creating ideas.. in the 2nd half.. I loved the fact that the ball wasn't passing the half way line at times.. With all due respect to Charlton, they were no match for us.. and we're not firing on all cylinders at all..
10. Smicer's return.. I just had a smile and clapped when he came on.. to be out for so long.. and return in an important game.. and his first contribution was an important interception.. Welcome back Vladi.. hope the Rafa magic rubs on ya :)
11. I loved the fact the Gerrard didn't score!! Kinda gives us and him the feeling that this club does not depend solely on him which was something that was obviously bugging him..
12. Oh and we hit the woodwork twice.. Gerrard in the first half.. and Riise had another attempt in the 2nd..

Concerns:
1. Finnan, Dudek and Biscan were OK.. not a major concern.. for Finnan and Biscan.. it's expected to be a bit off it when u've been away from first team footie for a while.. while Dudek is building the confidence (I Hope)..
2. What on Earth were we doing when they took that corner.. 8 Yellow shirts + a goalie couldn't get a hair to the ball.. while one of 4 Charlton players did.. there was a gap THIS big in the 6 yard area..
3. Baros huffed and puffed.. but a mini issue with his look down and run technique.. the lads are moving all over the pitch and into excellent positions when he starts those runs.. and he doens't even know it!

Oh and Darren Potter got his EPL debut (3 minutes).. but had one nice move in it.. Kinda makes me think how we would have done at Burnley had we had a mix of first team and youngters instead of reserves and youngsters..

Delighted at the result and performance.. defintely a step into the right direction.. as Momo said, makes us hope for better times..

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Really nice goal by Morientes, a big rocket from outside the penalty area, hope this goal gets him going.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I finally got the clip of the goals.

Have to say was a bit worried replaying Moro's goal again and again that the keeper might've got a hand to it.

Here's to another Spaniard leading a comeback against Fulham this weekend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts