Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this campaign deserves its own thread. This isn't just about Mano Menezes and our road to 2014, after all; it's about a dream that many generations of great players have dreamed and never achieved, an elusive beast that we've been hunting for too long. From Edinho and Junior to Alex and Lucio, from Taffarel and Romario to Dida and Bebeto, they all tried to earn that medal, but it remained beyond their reach. And now it's the time for a new generation to take a shot against our football's Moby Dick: Neymar, Thiago Silva, Oscar, Marcelo... it's a pretty good group, imperfect as such groups always are but still blessed with a lot of quality.

This is the full group:

Goalkeepers: Rafael Cabral (Santos), Neto (Fiorentina)
Defenders: Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafael (Manchester United), Danilo (Porto), Alex Sandro (Porto), Thiago Silva (AC Milan), Juan (Inter Milan), Bruno Uvini (Sao Paulo).
Midfielders: Romulo (Vasco da Gama), Ganso (Santos), Oscar (Internacional), Sandro (Tottenham Hotspur), Lucas (Sao Paulo).
Forwards: Neymar (Santos), Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Leandro Damiao (Internacional), Hulk (Porto).

So the dice is cast, alea jacta est, many good players were left behind by the narrow 18-player limit, but everyone on the table gets the same amount of cards. This is the lineup for Brasil's last preparatory game before the Olympics, against none other than Great Britain, on July 20th:

Rafael Cabral; Rafael, Juan, Thiago Silva and Marcelo; Sandro and Romulo; Hulk, Oscar, Neymar and Damião.

Brasil's official debut in the 2012 Olympics will be on the 26th, against Egypt.

AVANTE BRASIL! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
we'd have win easily if we had another over23 zagueiro.

now I'm not sure anymore. if silva injuries himself we're ****ed up for good.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
we'd have win easily if we had another over23 zagueiro.

now I'm not sure anymore. if silva injuries himself we're ****ed up for good.
No we're(Brazilians+me(AdoptedBrazilian)) not screwed. Actually, I've been following Dante this past season, he was amazing. Now he is in Bayern, DEFO deserves a call up instead of Thiago if he gets injured

Secondly, we have Dede and Naldo as well if Silva gets injured who are very very solid CB's.

:thumbsup:

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
No we're(Brazilians+me(AdoptedBrazilian)) not screwed. Actually, I've been following Dante this past season, he was amazing. Now he is in Bayern, DEFO deserves a call up instead of Thiago if he gets injured

Secondly, we have Dede and Naldo as well if Silva gets injured who are very very solid CB's.

:thumbsup:
:confused:

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
I'm talking about the olympics.

the reserves are marquinhos and other kid.

we'd be lucky if both uvni and juan gets injured so we take marquinhos and toloi(he sucks but he at least PLAYS).

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
Seriously, how Toloi fell the last 2 years.

Seen him with Sao Paulo last fixture, he gave up a penalty and just seemed so heavy.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Vamos pra frente!!!!!!!!

This Friday (on espn3.com- check it) we will have our first friendly against Great Britain. This should be a great test! they would be one of the top teams in the tournament surely.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an interesting article by Paulo Vinicius Coelho about the Brasil x Egypt game:

-----------------------
The mellowest debut among the favorites could have lasted until the game was over

The Brasilian team's 1st half wasn't a spectacle. It was secure. Considering the debuts of the other favorites, Spain's defeat, Mexico's tie, Uruguay's tight victory, it's not so little. But we saw hesitations in defense, positioning problems on Juan's side of the backline, and the lack of definition power when the ball arrived at the attack.

The team improves when the three players right behind Leandro Damiao move around. Oscar moved from the wing to the center before making the pass for Rafael to score 1x0. A long ball passed by Juan found Oscar on the central lane, Chelsea's new midfielder passed by keeper El Shenawy and gave it to Damiao. And Neymar did his best play through the center, passing the ball to Hulk before invading the box to finish with a header.

After that, the defensive positioning problems persisted, and the frontline's seriousness disappeared. Egypt's manager Hany Ramzy noticed the hesitations on the left side of Brasil's defense, so he fielded Salah from Basel to work the right wing, behind Marcelo's back.

Chaos!

Egypt grew, threatened, and exposed positioning flaws. Not that it's disastrous to see such flaws in the team's debut on a tournament where all the other favorites suffered even more than Brasil. But they need to be corrected.

Egypt has eight players from the campaign that took them to the round of 16 on the U-20 WC that happened in Colombia last year. In that campaign, the Egyptians debuted against Brasil with a 1x1 tie. Brasil improved afterwards and was world champion.

From the debut, we bring two lessons. We need to stay serious on attack during the 90 minutes of every game. We also need to correct the coverage of the left side of defense, to avoid new problems in the future.
----------------------------------------------

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
T Silva looked and sounded ****ed off after the egypt game.

Good to see we "improved" against belarus, but getting scored on was still pathetic

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I worry that the defensive spaces we've been offering in the first two games may one day find a team capable of taking advantage. Thiago Silva has good reasons to be pissed off.

And what Marcelo needs is a Dunga to scream in his face when he starts screwing around.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
So far so good. Korea is next. ;)

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Korea beaten by 3:0 (not without problems though), so the last hurdle remains: Mexico.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not the Brasilian Way

This isn’t the Brasilian way!
We scored thrice but played like shit
We just played football and not ballet
Mano Menezes must be a dimwit.

On one hand, Brasil should be glad
We reached the final after all
On the other hand, we sucked pretty bad
And our triumph was rather small.

We had more than one brainfart
The refereeing was also a shame
Sandro is still not very smart
At least Damiao improved his aim.

Young Gabriel was scared shitless
Almost worse than in the previous game
It’s hard not to doubt his readiness
Let’s just hope he doesn’t burst into flame.

Thiago Silva had implored for more caution
so Marcelo listened to the captain’s advice
To be more mindful of his position
And did a bit better, though still imprecise.

Mano also committed the cardinal sin
Of removing one of our forwards
For yet another defensive linchpin
And we all know DMs are for cowards.

Isn’t that the Brasilian way?
Attacking skill is what we crave
Defense is the opposite of foreplay
Too many DMs make the ball concave.

I’m reminded of 1994
When even though Brasil won
It made everyone snore
Pleasing almost no-one.

I’m also reminded of 2002
and Brasil’s game with Denmark
When we almost became fondue
But that was the essential spark
That thickened our defensive stew
And fixed our midfield’s bulwark
Turning us into champions true.
(though it was Belgium, wish I could undo)

Maybe Brasil will win the gold
And get criticized anyway
For not being fun to behold
And tasting like an ashtray
so our champions we’ll scold
because that’s the Brasilian way. ;)

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The best team won, and we weren't it. Brasil's boys pushed through the 1st stage opponents with deceptive ease, but they were never organized or even trusted each other as a team... the backline didn't trust the midfielders to make the transition so they just hurled long balls upfield all the time, the defenders didn't trust each other, nobody trusted the keepers. The arguments between our players in the final were only the pressure squeezing out what they thought about each other (I was reminded of Lucio headbutting Roger in a previous Olympic fiasco, not his proudest moment).

Mano isn't the only one to blame, many players have their fingerprints in there too, but in fact Mano did a poor job... and yet surprisingly CBF's president is talking about keeping Mano as Brasil's manager, an unexpected turn of events for a new CBF president who didn't seem to have much sympathy for the last NT manager hired by CBF's previous president. I wonder how much Marin's new tolerance for Mano will last.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts