Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about it the other day, before the match against Siena. Coming to Olimpico isn't as hard as it should be, and also used to be. While other clubs with a certain amount of fans manage to put pressure on the opponent, our pressure often doesn't come at all. We simply can't force our opponents into their own area for longer periods.

When a top club faces problems at home turf, they usually manage to fight back through long and tough periods for the opposing defence. And it usually comes from a constant supply of initiatives. It appears to me again that too many of our players are preoccupied with the next phase, recovering the lost ball.

Rather than thinking about recovering the ball, we should be thinking about how to find solutions offensively and not lose the ball in the first place. To boil it down, how to create chances and score more goals than the opponent, not concede less.

In tough times like these, we tend to have only 3 or 4 players with their mind set on scoring goals, Mancini, Cassano, Totti and Montella. The rest focus on the defensive aspect.

When we lose 4 matches in a row at home, which btw is a new record for Roma since the birth of this club, there's not entirely about lack of creativity and abilities in our midfield. Perrotta offered a lot of desire in Chievo and created respectable things offensively from time to time there, purely on his will. If our players, especially our midfielders, could focus more on the offensive aspect and how to improve that, we'd have better solutions and a more fluent offence.

I hope to see Roma put weaker clubs under a drastic pressure at home in the future. Olimpico and i Romanisti offer the perfect atmosphere and it's frankly a shame it's not taken advantage of. In my honest opinion we need a radical change in personal tactics more than new midfielders. The new players will only suffer from the same thing if it doesn't change. Do you agree?

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the Olimpico per se, just another symptom of some of the pathetic performances our team has put in this season.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
A more ball control oriented team is what Roma needs to be and that is where Aquilani has to step up. We have to distribut the ball around so we are not under a lot of pressure all the time against different teams however I'm not sure if we have the skill for that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts