Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oldplayer hereby names the man of the match and eats crow simultaneously.

Oldplayer's Man of the Match? None othe than TONY SANNEH!

Yes, that's right. Tony Sanneh not only stopped Figo cold and who ever else the Porto's ran down his side, he won balls in the air, made great runs and made an absolutely superb cross for McBride' goal. On that play, he made a run AND made the cross!

I said earlier that McBride made contributions that no one else on the team can make. I stick with that. However, Tony did it all today.

PLUS, he had such an aire of confidence about him that the Portos KNEW he wasn't intimidated. Moreover, at the end of the game, Tony and his buddy, Cobi, put on a clinic on how to take air out of the ball. Not only did they shield the ball for long seconds, they frustrated great European champions into knocking the ball out for us. (Did I see MLS Cobi actually taunting a defender?)

All in all, a great show from the man I said "scared me to death" last summer (Regis has now earned that spot in my heart!). He slowly won me over this fall and winter. The big guy earned all my respect today. (Hern, a game rating of 5.5?)

Lots of us, given wheels and youth to be in the right spot could have scored like McBride on that play. Few but Tony Sanneh could have played defense, stood up attackers, found time to make an overlap and put the ball on target. That play was a game breaker.

Congratulations Tony. Accept my apologies for the hurting remarks I made on this Board during qualifying!

Your friend,

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Oldplayer said:
Congratulations Tony. Accept my apologies for the hurting remarks I made on this Board during qualifying!

Your friend,

Oldplayer
Just got a call from Tony, OldPlayer and he asked me to pass along this message to you:

"Bite me, old man!"

I guess Tony holds grudges. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I agree OP but in my mind Bruce Arena deserves part of that award. He got our young lads to believe they are an the same playing field as anyone. He managed to keep there heads down to earth in the midst of WC fever. Now if he could keep them from becoming over confident in our next two matches he would earn the respect of being an Elite national coach. reguardless of what happens after that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, PaulMay. But Arena isn't ELIGIBLE for my MOTM award. The Coach of the tournament award is still pending, but guess who I favor!;)

Oldplayer

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thats why I only gave him part of Sannehs award.:) Mind you Arena jumped a lot hire off the bench on Mcbrides goal than Agoos did on the corner that led to Portugals first goal.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts