Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna know who came up with that stupid habit of pointing at your name (on the back of the shirt) when you score?? Was it Kezman? I see quite a number of players do that now and it's so annoying. What happened to the good old celebrations of the past, the sliding on the knees, the Klinsmann, the dancing etc? Is it so friggin conceited to point to your name, yes you did something nice now let people enjoy it and show some class as you celebrate the moment. When is the last time you saw a goal was scored and you didn't ask the question "who is the scorer"? Everyone does it, it's innate and that's quite enough attention coming from scoring alone without the stupid attention seeking afterwards.

Am I the only one annoyed by this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
In Real Madrid players rarely do anything to celebrate goals except smiling and hugging, Ronaldo sometimes points to his back though but not always.
Raul and Guti occassionally like to slide on their knees after scoring.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
It is a way of celebration and each player has his own style except Henry who has no style. :tongue:

I like Zidane, Totti and Shevchenko's celebrations a lot. :star: Ronaldo's old celebration was good. The new one with the arm around his face is not.

I personally don't think that this showing names/numbers pointing at the back after a goal is a very good way of celebrating.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Haroon said:
It is a way of celebration and each player has his own style except Henry who has no style. :tongue:
He has a lot of style, look at his range:

- Fired Up Thierry: run around in a long semi circle before running over to our fans and punch his chest
- Tottenham Thierry: run three quarter length of the pitch to score his goal and then run all the way back before sliding on his knees in front of the scum
- Moody Thierry: glare a hole through someone
- Nonchalant Thierry: simply dismiss the goal because he's so damn good
- Boxing Thierry: punch the ball out of Olof Mellberg's hands :D

And for the original question: I don't know.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
khimik said:
He has a lot of style, look at his range:

- Fired Up Thierry: run around in a long semi circle before running over to our fans and punch his chest
- Tottenham Thierry: run three quarter length of the pitch to score his goal and then run all the way back before sliding on his knees in front of the scum
- Moody Thierry: glare a hole through someone
- Nonchalant Thierry: simply dismiss the goal because he's so damn good
- Boxing Thierry: punch the ball out of Olof Mellberg's hands :D

And for the original question: I don't know.
Alright .. if you say so. :tongue: I need to see more of these small fixtures when nothing is on the line. :stuckup:

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I want the good old celebrations back, when the scorer took off his jersey and throw it to the fans! :D

Find that pointing on the name stupid - as if we wouldn't know the guys!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ryan Giggs' celebration against the French in London in the FA Cup semi-final replay (you KNOW which year don't you). Took off his shirt and swung it above his head like a cowboy, and ran right into the crowd.

Of course, those days of shirt-off celebrations are gone for good............

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Was the Nigerian player Julius Agahowa who took 19 (?) somersaults or so after scoring against Argentina (WC 2002) was it? That was one athletic celebration! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, one of the best ever that was. Just too bad he plays for Shahktar and we don't get to see him much.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
numerodix said:
I wanna know who came up with that stupid habit of pointing at your name (on the back of the shirt) when you score?? Was it Kezman? I see quite a number of players do that now and it's so annoying. What happened to the good old celebrations of the past, the sliding on the knees, the Klinsmann, the dancing etc? Is it so friggin conceited to point to your name, yes you did something nice now let people enjoy it and show some class as you celebrate the moment. When is the last time you saw a goal was scored and you didn't ask the question "who is the scorer"? Everyone does it, it's innate and that's quite enough attention coming from scoring alone without the stupid attention seeking afterwards.

Am I the only one annoyed by this?

To be honest, it doesn't annoy me at all.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Eh, that bothers me but not as much as Gerrard's stupid celebration of yelling "I'm the man" to Liverpool fans after that goal versus Portsmouth. I also don't like it when one player jumps on another's back in a celebration, that annoys me, because it doesn't look very good and you're risking injury.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
It annoys me.. it's conceited and obnoxious. It's bordering on arrogance, really! I don't like it one bit.

Since we're on the subject, I would just like to say that my favourite celebrations are those that come the most naturally - players who rip their shirts off and throw them into the crowd out of sheer joy (Signori scored a late penalty against Roma in the derby a few years ago, threw his shirt to the crowd and got sent off because he was booked earlier; silly mistake but shows his raw passion), people hurdling over the advertising boards, and generally scorers who celebrate with their fans to share the joy together. I like Gerrard's celebration against Panathinaikos in the Champions League where Liverpool needed a 3-1 win or something and he scored the third goal deep into the match - he bulldozed his way to the kop like a madman and just let the fans hug him which I thought was fantastically passionate. I also like Shevchenko's celebration because he always look so natural doing it and the way he punches the air at waist level looks very cool - he looks genuinely estactic everytime. :)

Celebrations I hate: Players who have a pre-conceived idea of how he should be celebrating and just go through the routine when he scores. Ronaldo, Montella (sorry Roma fans, I like him too but it's getting too stale) and Martins come to mind. Worst celebration of all time: Alan Shearer. C'mon we've got TV ratings to think about. ;)

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lili said:
For Good??? I find it bad! :moan:
lili, "for good" means "permanently"

Well it's good to see so many of you actually replied on the subject. :sigh: Thank you, Firenze!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts