Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you imagine what happens tommorow in the press if all 4 English teams make it and all 4 Italian teams are out at the quarter final stage of the CL?
I shudder at the thought.

Show your support for the italian teams here.

Forza Roma!

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I think the English media sees Spain as competition, really. Could well be 3 Spanish sides left in.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
It is 3 italian teams and not four.

Support sadly is not enough. Hard work, organization and transperancy make sport profitable and thus successful. While the English were busy building their status, Italians were busy (and still) finding more ways to cheat each others.

Crappy league, ugly pitches, curroupted officials, lack of basic infra structure.. what's there to support really?

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
The league is not competitive enough.

There is not enough development, the teams arent forced to improve. The fact that the same Inter side has pretty much 3 scudetto in a row now without improving at all proves it.

In the EPL there is much more improvement, the teams are forced to improve, both tacticaly and squadwise. Tempo gets higher every season, their understanding between eachother on the pitch likewise.

They have a whole different dimension to their game because they are forced to improve because the league gets more and more competitive.

EPL has 70-80% foreigners and ALOT more money in the league, the difference between EPL and liga/serie a is very big in this aspect.

I dont see this changing unless some rule like the 6+5 is implented and some wage/transfer limits.

Football is dead.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was saying to Azzkikr in another thread.

Instead of moaning about the downfall of Serie A and the current status of the English game, it'd be better if Italian football looked at the way it's run and tried to learn from what the EPL has accomplished over the past couple of decades.

Centralised TV rights is a postiive step. Finally seem to have realised that you need more than a handful of teams to have good players for the league to be attractive to watch.

Yeah, now they need to take steps to sort out stadia, ultras culture, corruption, tv presentation etc, but one step at a time.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I dont see this changing unless some rule like the 6+5 is implented and some wage/transfer limits.

Football is dead.
Italy can stay on the curve if it actually works at it. People like the glamour and history of Italian football. It just needs to be fixed and marketed better. Needs someone willing to do that, though.

·
Registered
46,743 Posts
It is 3 italian teams and not four.

Support sadly is not enough. Hard work, organization and transperancy make sport profitable and thus successful. While the English were busy building their status, Italians were busy (and still) finding more ways to cheat each others.

Crappy league, ugly pitches, curroupted officials, lack of basic infra structure.. what's there to support really?
send us medical equipment and humanitary supplies please :scared:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I don't even care anymore. I only watch the CL for the Italian teams anyhow, even if it is with the hope that inter and Milan always lose. I didn't even watch any of the semis or the final last year. If all the Italian teams go out, I'm not gonna go out of my way to watch CL. And I'll just conntinue watching only Serie A until next season.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was saying to Azzkikr in another thread.

Instead of moaning about the downfall of Serie A and the current status of the English game, it'd be better if Italian football looked at the way it's run and tried to learn from what the EPL has accomplished over the past couple of decades.

Centralised TV rights is a postiive step. Finally seem to have realised that you need more than a handful of teams to have good players for the league to be attractive to watch.

Yeah, now they need to take steps to sort out stadia, ultras culture, corruption, tv presentation etc, but one step at a time.
Don't touch the Ultras :nono:

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Ultras depends on what you want really. If you want the game to be able to financially compete with England, then it needs to be family friendly, which ultras don't adhere to. I could undestand if you'd rather be less good and keep the ultras atmosphere, though.

·
Registered
46,743 Posts
Instead of moaning about the downfall of Serie A and the current status of the English game
Reality check: it happens mostly in international forums of Italian clubs. Right now all the Italians but the supporters of Juventus are celebrating.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Well yeah, I know all Italians that don't support Juve hate Juve. It will be similar here if Inter pull something out against Man U tomorrow.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
The problem with the Italian teams is not that they are not good enough or strong enough or the league isnt strong enough. Juve tonight were not sh!t in comparison to Chelsea, in fact they were quite even over the 2 legs. Circumstance allowed Chelsea to advance just as it may allow Man U and Arsenal to advance, but so far two narrow 1 goal wins and 2 draws is what has happened between the Anglo-Italian fixtures and despite some good first half football from Man U and a nervy first half from Roma, none of the Italian teams have been blown away yet.

Maybe if our teams got Panathinaikos, Porto and Lyon and qualified to the QF we would be seen as a strong league, but unfortunately Serie A teams got Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd.

Lets not forget tonight was a story between one team which has had sh!t loads of money invested into it since 2003 and another which is just beginning to find its feet after a sad affair in their history and yet the difference on the pitch was minimal.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I'm tired of these idiots that think serie a has a problem NOW cause these teams happened to lose. Wake up you morons, serie a were in trouble from year 2000.

Dont hate, celebrate! :D

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Still clearly the third best league in Europe Deano, but you can't rely on easy draws. Complaceny won't help, so I would hope the folks in charge of Serie A don't think the same way.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
I am not saying that Serie A is better than La Liga or EPL because it is not, but the fact is the Serie A teams got very very difficult fixtures and all of them have so far proven to be very close. If Roma happen to be eliminated to Arsenal and Inter to Man Utd in a way that they fight on the field and are close to a good result, then there is no shame, just as Juve did tonight and every Juve fan can be proud, at least tonight, of their team.

Basically, I would assume that at least 2 of the 3 Italian teams could go through if they were drawn Panathinaikos, Porto and Lyon... but they were not, and well despite the percentages not being with them, there is still every possibility Roma can beat Arsenal and Inter can steal something at Old Trafford.

·
Registered
46,743 Posts
Still clearly the third best league in Europe Deano, but you can't rely on easy draws.
Yes, just the Spanish clubs can. :D

sorry, Rob, but just for the record (I'd love Juve to lose to Avenir Beggen next time) you are absolutely biased towards Spanish clubs in a day in which their second best club has been sodomized by Liverpool.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
La Liga I think has really good strength in depth. I do actually want Serie A to do well, because I like the flavour of football it provides (and in some ways yearn for the days when English, Italian and Spanish football were all distinctly different from each other, these days English football has become globalised in style), but at the moment, I don't see much scope for progress.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts