Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before you label me a broken record I just want to go on record that I've been watching Serie A for over 15 years but these past 5 or so years have been quite frankly some of the most disgusting and terrible decision making by refs I have ever seen. In ANY major league.

Im not just talking about Roma games because that would be far too biased but ask yourself this, in every matchday we seem to hear something about a refereeing decision altering the game. Major refereeing decisions. Yes there are infringements, fouls and the odd run of play. Yes the ref is human. But ffs how many simple errors ( and the same ref mind you) do you see?

One week, a few season back, we praise Tagliavento....the next he's cursed more than a whore's bastard baby. Rizzoli is absolute garbage. Finally Rocchi is...well a dunce. The others are crap. But it happens EVERY match day. Regardless of the game. Think back to your individual games and do you question some of the instances?? :shakepalm:

But if you look at the CL games or the Euro games or even the world cup games that they ref....they are completely different. They let the play run. They dont blow the whistle every 10 seconds and they dont call a foul everytime someone goes to ground. They actually create a decent environment without infringing on the play. It's like in Serie A they are the stars of the show and we have to sit back and see what they do as opposed to the players.

To bring my rant to a close I just want to say that the systemic issue of the Serie a being a diving league, where if a defender is shielding it and makes contact with another player and then goes down knowing that the ref will call it...is created all by the ref. We would have a faster paced, free flowing game if the ref put away his whistle everytime there is a 50/50 challenge or a shoulder to shoulder...They let them go during European matches....why not Serie A?

Its getting very annoying to watch this league.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
I don't think that Serie A referees get major decisions wrong any more than in other leagues. But I do think they blow the whistle too much. But this has been the case ever since I started following the league in the 80s. Especially in the midfield and the offensive zone it's just too easy to call the foul, so that's what they do. The players knwo this so they will go down from any small contact. The result is a bad flow to the game...

Mind you, maybe it's an illusion but I think it has inproved a bit. There used to be games with 60+ fouls regularly. I think one Juve-Roma match about ten years ago had more than 80. It was like bloody American football. I haven't seen quite as bad games recently.

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
I don't think that Serie A referees get major decisions wrong any more than in other leagues. But I do think they blow the whistle too much. But this has been the case ever since I started following the league in the 80s. Especially in the midfield and the offensive zone it's just too easy to call the foul, so that's what they do. The players knwo this so they will go down from any small contact. The result is a bad flow to the game...

Mind you, maybe it's an illusion but I think it has inproved a bit.
I agree. It used to be much worse. I see an improvement from that point of view.
As regards the overall quality sinoy is right: they are all pretty mediocre. Yet, when I think that till 6-7 years ago a few among them helped one team rather than another just because the sporting director of one club threatened their career, this is another improvement!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can't agree with your post at all. In fact I'd say that the refereeing standard in Serie A is better than a lot of leagues. Sure referees make mistakes but I really don't think it's noticeably worse in Italy.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Can't agree with your post at all. In fact I'd say that the refereeing standard in Serie A is better than a lot of leagues. Sure referees make mistakes but I really don't think it's noticeably worse in Italy.
Agreed

In before OMFG LEAGUE IS RIGGED WAAAAA WAAAA WAAAAA GIOVINCO WAS 1 CM OFFSIDE WAAAAA WAAAA WAAAA idiots come along

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is that I havent even mentioned the line judges, simply for the reason M41A has stated.

Nor am I trolling. I just feel like there is a huge contrast when Rocchi or Rizzoli etc ref in europe when compared to Serie A.

Maybe its just sour grapes that culminated in years of disgust and always expecting better. Maybe I've been watching the premier league a little too much lately :S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts