Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
THE
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea have made their second summer signing by snapping up Bolton's highly rated Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen for £4 million. The 5'10, 21 year old has signed a 5 year deal and at the price Chelsea have paid could prove an absolute bargain especially for such a young player with huge potential.

He scored 22 goals for Bolton last season and his style can be best described as quite similar to Hasselbaink in many ways, strong, quick, two footed, very skillful, likes to run at defenders and is not afraid to have a shot.

Several clubs were after him when Bolton failed to win promotion but Colin Hutchinson has once again come up with the goods and got his, and Vialli's, man. With 2 new strikers coming in it will no doubt cause speculation on the existing strike force and one man seemingly set to leave is Chris Sutton after Chelsea agreed a £6 million pound deal for him with Middlesbrough and reported interest from other clubs as well. Sutton's future though would seem to now be in his own hands.

Gudjohnsen and even Hasselbaink's ages also are a big step in Vialli's stated aim to reduce the average age of the squad, they also fit into the much misquoted aim to get players "suitable for the Premiership" which undoubtably these two signings are. With two new strikers arriving in the same summer it promises exciting times ahead for the new season.

Anybody watched Bolton last season? :) But I am personally crazy about Iceland, so I welcome him.

D

·
0 Posts
Gudjohnsson even once played along-side Ronaldo with PSV, when he was only 17 years old I think.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
gudjohsen has a father who was very good some years ago,maybe it was him who played with ronaldo in psv.

S

·
0 Posts
is forsell still with chelsea?
any news about him?
what he's doing?
if he's for sale or staying?

T

·
0 Posts
Bolton reaction

I spoke to a Bolton fan 2 weeks ago about Gudjohnsen. He rated him very very highly indeed - so much so that he (and his fellow fans) were resigned to him leaving them for a bigger club. He emphasised how POSITIVE he was going forward, a quality we need to add to a side that too often wants to walk the ball up to the opposition's goal line, get down on their knees and blow it in.

From the descriptions of him, he sounds more like a replacement for Zola than for anyone else. I hope this doesn't mean Zola is going because he graces (almost) every game he plays in. Sometimes it is only with one or two deft touches or some inventive running off the ball, but he is a master and I thank the god of football that I have been able to see him play (albeit at 500 odd quid a year plus away games!)

I hope Forsell stays - he has not shown much yet, but I think he is at the age when a striker can burst in to life. The fact that he has been training with some of the world's best defenders must make him valuable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts