XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, May 5, 2002

Jansen still in England frame
Joe Melling

Wes Brown: Back to fitness
(Allsport)

Matt Jansen will be given a make-or-break opportunity to claim an 11th hour ticket to join England's World Cup task force.

Sven Goran Eriksson will delay naming his final 23-man selection for Japan and South Korea for 48 hours so he can make a last-minute assessment of Blackburn striker Jansen, along with Manchester United's Wes Brown.

The England coach was all set to announce on Tuesday the squad which he has formulated in his mind over the past 16 months.

The FA insist Eriksson decided on a delay only because he wished to ensure that all candidates emerged unscathed from Wednesday's Premiership showdown at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Arsenal.

But it understood that Eriksson's instincts tell him that Jansen should be the one surprise inclusion in his squad, and the Swede hopes to have it confirmed that same night.

Either Eriksson or his trusted assistant, Tord Grip, will make the final judgment on Jansen at Blackburn's game against Liverpool.

The inclusion of Jansen would be a far greater shock than Bobby Robson's late decisions to go with Peter Beardsley and David Platt in the World Cups of 1986 and 1990 respectively.

Although Jansen has six Under-21 caps, he has not kicked a ball for England at senior level. He was included in the squad for the first time to prepare for last month's final friendly international against Paraguay but was forced to withdraw because of a stomach upset.

The player expressed great disappointment that his chance seemed to have been lost, but vowed not to abandon all hope until the World Cup squad was announced. Even so, his selection seemed so unlikely that he booked up his holidays in June.

Now it seems certain that on Thursday he will be forced to tell his younger brother, Joseph, that he is unable to act as an usher at his wedding on June 15 because of a more pressing engagement in Japan.

He has been blissfully unaware that Eriksson has maintained a constant monitoring of his potential for the last six months, at least.

Whereas Eriksson has been a devoted fan of United defender Brown since taking up his England appointment officially in January 2001. Jansen is quite definitely a Johnny-come-lately. The moment Brown confirmed his return to full fitness after a five-month absence through injury, his name was pencilled in immediately by the admiring Eriksson.

But with Jansen it has been very much a case of slowly but surely forcing his way into the consciousness of the coach through a string of impressive Premiership performances. Eriksson intends basing his squad selection not only on the names of the best players available but those who will provide the right balance in tournament conditions.

In the case of players expected to be on the fringe of his first-choice 11, versatility is the key. Jansen can not only perform as an out-and-out striker but also as a flank player on either side of the pitch.

The left side of midfield continues to provide Eriksson with his biggest headache. He has Kieron Dyer earmarked for the position but the livewire Newcastle player failed to impress from the left against Paraguay.

Jansen is a confident young man who suggests he would not be fazed in the least by the intense pressure of World Cup combat. Remember, he stunned Manchester United by preferring a move to Crystal Palace from Carlisle because he believed he would have more opportunities to develop his talents through first-team experience at Selhurst Park.

Since a £4million move to Blackburn, he has established himself as a big favourite at Ewood Park, scoring in the 2-1 Worthington Cup final success against Tottenham back in February.

Jansen, 24, has persuaded Eriksson and Grip that he could be their secret weapon in Japan and Korea. The final analysis will be made on the back of his effectiveness when pitted against Liverpool's formidable defence. Unless he has an absolute stinker, it looks as though Jansen will get the World Cup vote in front of West Ham's Trevor Sinclair.

The versatility of Brown, too, in being able to function either as a centre-back or emergency right-back will allow him to edge out the experienced but ageing Martin Keown.

Heartbreak is on the cards again for Phil Neville. The Manchester United player was excluded from Glenn Hoddle's plans at the last minute for World Cup 1998 and, even though brother Gary misses out through injury, Eriksson will prefer Brown as the replacement.

The precocious Joe Cole looks like clinching his place in the pack as Eriksson's wild card. The West Ham youngster, richly talented but as yet worryingly undisciplined in the more sophisticated area of team play, is viewed by Eriksson as a star of the future.

But there is no doubt that Eriksson believes Cole has the ability to perform a rescue act as a substitute if a game is going against England.
England's 23?
Goalkeepers: David Seaman, Nigel Martyn, David James

Defenders: Danny Mills, Rio Ferdinand, Gareth Southgate, Sol Campbell, Wes Brown, Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole

Midfielders: David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Owen Hargreaves, Nicky Butt, Kieron Dyer, Joe Cole

Forwards: Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Teddy Sheringham, Darius Vassell, Matt Jansen

soccernet

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Hmmm very interesting articles there... wonder how true they are...

I mean I would be suprsied if Sven did this but he continues to insist that no-one has been rulled out yet... still Jansen and Brown in the squad despite not playing in the friendlies....

Just seems odd but what is even oder is why the hell would he take 6 strikers for 2 positions?

Brown may go but I doubt Jansen will make the plane... instead another midfielder or defender will go

D

·
0 Posts
pool_till_I_die said:
Hmmm very interesting articles there... wonder how true they are...

I mean I would be suprsied if Sven did this but he continues to insist that no-one has been rulled out yet... still Jansen and Brown in the squad despite not playing in the friendlies....

Just seems odd but what is even oder is why the hell would he take 6 strikers for 2 positions?

Brown may go but I doubt Jansen will make the plane... instead another midfielder or defender will go
I think Matt Jansen will be tried in the left-wing for England, after all he is naturally left footed. Otherwise I can't see him playing as a striker.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Jansen on the left wing... oh dear god no...

I think Ashley Cole should be tried out there though with Wayne Bridge behind him... it's a shame that Cole was injured in the friendlies as this could have been tested...

D

·
0 Posts
pool_till_I_die said:
Jansen on the left wing... oh dear god no...

I think Ashley Cole should be tried out there though with Wayne Bridge behind him... it's a shame that Cole was injured in the friendlies as this could have been tested...
I agree :tongue:

I don't know why Sven wouldn't want to try Cole out on the left-wing. He certainly capable of doing the job, maybe Sven is thinking that but hasn't been able to try it due to them not being fit at the same time (like you say).

Jansen a left winger? makes sense, apart from that why else pick him when we have Fowler, Owen, Heskey, Vassel and Sherringham? Although I think it would be a bad choice if he did put Jansen on the left.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah, it definitely would have been tested... I bet it is tried out in the Korea game on the 25th May.

Squad announced on Thursday... Jansen has one game to impress Sven in... shame SGE will probably be at Old Trafford on Wednesday?

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Does anyone know where I can see the squads that have been announced. I tried www.fifaworldcup.com but the site isn't great and doesn't have anything like 'probable' squads.

I need it for my FF website
Anyone care to give their tuppence worth on who and who wont be in which squads or who I should have in instead of whoever.
I cant even find 3 strikers for some countries :confused:

Countries ------Fifa Rank
Group 1
32 France
---- T.Henry D.Trezdugy Z.Zidane
31 Argentina
---- A.Ortega G.Batistuta H.Crespo
30 Brazil
---- Rivaldo Ronaldo Denilson
29 Portugal
---- L.Figo R.Costa N.Gomes
28 Italy
---- C.Vieri S.Inzaghi F.Totti
27 Spain
---- Raul F.Morientes J.Etxeberria
26 Mexico
---- A.de Negris P.Pineda C.Blanco
25 England
---- M.Owen D.Vassell E.Heskey

Group 2
24 Germany
---- O.Bierhoff O.Neuville C.Jancker
23 USA
---- J.Moore L.Donovan E.Lewis
22 Paraguay
---- M.Benitez R.S.Cruz J.Cardozo
21 Sweden
---- H.Larsson F.Ljungberg Y.Osmanovski
20 Cameroon
---- E.Diouf H.Camara S.Camara
19 Denmark
---- E.Sand H.Pedersen M.Nygaard
18 Ireland
---- Robbie Keane N.Quinn D.Connelly
17 Croatia
---- A.Boksic B.Balaban D.Vugrinec

Group 3
16 Belgium
---- E.Mpenza B.Peeters
15 Russia
---- A.Mostovoi A.Panov V.Bestchastnykh
14 Uruguay
---- D.Silva M.Otero J.Chevanton
13 Turkey
---- H.Sukur D.Oktay Y.Basturk
12 Costa Rica
---- P.Wanchope H.Villalobos J.Soto
11 Slovenia
---- Z.Zahovic M.Haifa S.Cimirotic
10 Tunisia
---- A.Zitouni M.Melki I.Younes
9 Nigeria
---- N.Kanu J.Aghahowa B.Akwuegbu

Group 4
8 South Africa
---- G.Salmon S.Nomvete A.Raselemane
7 Saudi Arabia
---- S.Al-Jaber K.Gahwaji
6 Poland
---- E.Olisadebe M.Trzeciak A.Juskowiak
5 Ecuador
---- I.Kaviedes A.Delgado J.Bajana
4 Japan
---- A.Nishizawa N.Takahara S.Jo
3 Korea
---- H.Sun-hong C.Yong-soo S.Ki-hyeon
2 Senegal
---- Fary L.Gomis M.N'Diaye
1 China
---- X.Hui C.Yang G.Ming

D

·
0 Posts
Click here>>> :cool:

French Squad

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Manchester United), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Ulrich Rame (Girondins Bordeaux)

Defenders: Vincent Candela (Roma), Philippe Christanval (Barcelona), Marcel Desailly (Chelsea), Christophe Dugarry (Girondins Bordeaux), Franck Leboeuf (Olympique Marseille), Bixente Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus)

Midfielders: Alain Boghossian (Parma), Claude Makelele (Real Madrid), Johan Micoud (Parma), Emmanuel Petit (Chelsea), Patrick Vieira (Arsenal), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid)

Strikers: Djibril Cisse (AJ Auxerre), Youri Djorkaeff (Bolton Wanderers), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal).
Every squad that is announced should be on that web-site, I think it already has Germany's and Brazils.

D

·
0 Posts
BRAZIL SQUAD

Goalkeepers - Rogerio Ceni (Sao Paulo), Marcos (Palmeiras), Dida (Corinthians)

Defenders - Cafu (AS Roma), Belletti (Sao Paulo), Junior (Parma), Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid), Lucio (Bayer Leverkusen), Roque Junior (AC Milan), Anderson Polga (Gremio), Edmilson (Olympique Lyon)

Midfielders - Gilberto Silva (Atletico Mineiro), Emerson Ferreira (AS Roma), Juninho Paulista (Flamengo), Kaka (Sao Paulo), Kleberson (Atletico Paranaense), Vampeta (Corinthians), Ronaldinho Gaucho (Paris St Germain)

Forwards - Ronaldo (Inter Milan), Luizao (Gremio), Edilson (Cruzeiro), Denilson (Real Betis), Rivaldo (Barcelona

D

·
0 Posts
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND SQUAD

GoalkeepersS Given (Newcastle), Dean Kiely (Charlton), Alan Kelly (Blackburn);

DefendersS Staunton (Aston Villa), S Finan (Fulham), K Cunningham (Wimbledon), G Breen (Coventry), I Harte (Leeds), G Kelly (Leeds), R Dunne (Manchester City), A O'Brien (Newcastle);

MidfieldersJ McAteer (Sunderland), R Keane (Manchester United), M Kinsella (Charlton), M Holland (Ipswich), K Kilbane (Sunderland), M Kennedy (Wolves), L Carsley (Everton);

StrikersR Keane (Leeds), N Quinn (Sunderland). C Morrison (Crystal Palace), D Duff (Blackburn), D Connelly (Wimbledon).

D

·
0 Posts
TURKEY SQUAD

Goalkeepers: Rustu Recber (Fenerbahce), Omer Catkic (Gaziantepspor), Zafer Ozgultekin (Ankaragucu), Metin Aktas (Trabzonspor)

Defenders: Bulent Korkmaz (Galatasaray), Emre Asik (Galatasaray), Fatih Akyel (Fenerbahce), Umit Ozat (Fenerbahce), Ismail Gulduren (Genclerbirligi), Alpay Ozalan (Aston Villa)

Midfielders: Ergun Penbe (Galatasaray), Abdullah Ercan (Fenerbahce), Tayfur Havutcu (Besiktas), Cihan Haspolat (Kocaelispor), Tugay Kerimoglu (Blackburn Rovers), Hakan Unsal (Blackburn Rovers), Emre Belozoglu (Inter Milan), Okan Buruk (Inter Milan), Umit Davala (AC Milan), Tayfun Korkut (Real Sociedad), Yildiray Basturk (Bayer Leverkusen), Mustafa Izzet (Leicester City)

Forwards: Hakan Sukur (Parma), Arif Erdem (Galatasaray), Hasan Sas (Galatasaray), Serhat Akin (Fenerbahce), Ilhan Mansiz (Besiktas), Nihat Kahveci (Real Sociedad)
Thats me done, I an't finding anymore :groan:

D

·
0 Posts
Well just another

URUGUAY SQAUD

Goalkeepers - Fabian Carini (Juventus), Federico Elduayen (Penarol), Gustavo Munua (Nacional)

Defenders - Joe Bizera (Penarol), Alejandro Lembo (Nacional), Gustavo Mendez (Nacional), Gonzalo Sorondo (Inter Milan), Paolo Montero (Juventus), Dario Rodriguez (Penarol)

Midfielders - Gonzalo de los Santos (Valencia), Sebastian Eguren (Wanderers), Pablo Garcia (Venezia), Federico Magallanes (Venezia), Gianni Guigou (AS Roma), Fabian O'Neill (Perugia), Nicolas Olivera (Sevilla), Diego Perez (Defensor Sporting), Marcelo Romero (Malaga).

Forwards - Sebastian Abreu (Cruz Azul), Daniel Fonseca (Nacional), Richard Morales (Nacional), Diego Forlan (Manchester United), Ruben Olivera (Danubio), Alvaro Recoba (Inter), Mario Regueiro (Racing de Santander), Gustavo Varela (Nacional), Dario Silva

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Duggarry as a defender... am I going mad?

France's squad just doesn't impress me though

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pool_till_I_die said:
Duggarry as a defender... am I going mad?

France's squad just doesn't impress me though
yup...dugarry is a defender/?? :confused: is that another dugarry who i don't know..??? :D

france will miss pires a lot...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't rate France that much either. I just don't know how they've managed to win the WC and EC.

Fabien Barthez- prone to slip ups
Vincent Candela - good but not scared of him
Philippe Christanval - good but not scared of him
Marcel Desailly - not as good as a few years ago
Christophe Dugarry - a defender? i don't even rate him that much as a striker
Willy Sagnol - good but not scared of him
Franck Leboeuf - crap
Bixente Lizarazu - not as good as a few years ago
Mikael Silvestre - ok
Lilian Thuram - only proper world class defender
Alain Boghossian - good but not scared of him
Claude Makelele -good but not scared of him
Johan Micoud - good but not scared of him
Emmanuel Petit - not as good as a few years ago
Patrick Vieira - excellent
Zinedine Zidane - excellent
Djibril Cisse - still young, hasn't had much of a chance at top level - read England's young squad
Youri Djorkaeff - not as good as a few years ago
Thierry Henry - excellent
David Trezeguet - excellent
Sylvain Wiltord - overrated

This are my personal opinions

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
While i'll probably agree with you individual ratings, please don't forget that football is a team game the the core of the french sie have played with each other since euro '96.

all the announced squads so far in a text file

·
International
9,526 Posts
I think France have got a good squad, and are realistically, the best bet. Portugal aren't bad either. I don't think Brazil is up to it, neither Italy. And then theres Argie who are possible finalists too. As has been said, England are a dark horse, and I don't think Spain can be discounted. I wouldn't be too bothered if France and Portugal wound up in the final (is that possible the way the draw has been made?). They've got the two best players in the world between them, so it would be an interesting match up.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
updated squad list

time for bed!!!!!!

(i want Argentina to win!!!!!)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wednesday, May 8, 2002

Beckham's set to face Swedes
Steve Stammers

David Beckham: Opening match is now a real target for the skipper
(Empics)
David Beckham will be fit for England's opening World Cup match against Sweden in Saitama on June 2.

The England captain has made such rapid progress from a broken bone in his left foot that he now looks a certainty for the start of the campaign in Japan.

Earlier this week Sir Alex Ferguson predicted that the Manchester United midfielder would probably be fit for the second group match against Argentina.

But Soccernet can reveal that Beckham is so confident of his fitness that he is considering a return to light jogging as early as tomorrow, at least a week ahead of schedule.

He will be examined further by the Old Trafford medical team before a final decision is made.

They may decide that this week is premature and if that is the case Beckham will step up his rehabilitation early next week. But even if the resumption of light training is delayed, the news of his fitness will come as a major boost to England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

It was feared when Beckham was injured against Deportivo La Coruna last month, in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final, that Beckham would struggle to be fit for England's group games.

Eriksson insisted all along that he would name him in the squad for the finals that he announces tomorrow in the hope that he would be fit to play some part.

The fact that he will now be fit to start is the perfect lift for Eriksson and his players as the build-up to the finals intensifies. The only question mark concerns when Beckham will be able to join the rest of the squad.

The party leaves for a pretournament training camp in Dubai next Monday but there is a doubt whether Beckham will be ready to go with them. United may decide his long-term wellbeing will be better served if he misses the Dubai excursion to have further treatment in Manchester.

He would then fly straight to South Korea for the last stages of the team's preparation and if he is not ready for any of the warmup matches, he will be fit in time for the meeting with the Swedes.

Eriksson is likely to be at Anfield tonight to watch Matt Jansen. The Blackburn forward is set to be the surprise inclusion in the World Cup squad at the expense of West Ham's Trevor Sinclair.

It is felt Jansen offers greater flexibility than Sinclair as he can play wide right or left midfield, as well as centre forward.

Joe Cole looks certain to be included in the squad, too, along with United's Wes Brown and Leeds defender Danny Mills.

soccernet

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Squad news is out....Murphy on standby, Jansen not chosen...interesting.

Thought Parlour was good enough too....

1 - 20 of 115 Posts