Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On sunday, Lazio is facing Lecce at home, a team that should be beaten no matter what. Statistics are on Lazio's sides. The last six times the two teams has met in Rome it has always been a win for the Biancoceleste. As ever, Lazio must win this game and hope for Chievo-Milan and Bologna to traw to have a chance to get the vital Champion's League spot, but season is closing and a UEFA cup spot seems more likely.

However, despite a good performance against Juventus last Sunday, the win against Lecce might not come that easy. Lecce is fighting to avoid relegation and desperately needs points. Furthermore, Lazio's injury prone squad has yeat again been hit by injuries and now Crespo, Peruzzi, Baggio are injured with Mihajlovic, Stankovic and Mendieta very doubtful to make the match. Last but not least: midfielder warrier Giannichedda is suspended. Negro and Simeone has been injured for a long time and it is unlikely they will start the match.

The injury of Stankovic leaves a huge gap on the left side and it is likely Fiore will play on the left, though it is not his favourite position and he will then be missed in central midfield, where he has been playing good lately.

My prediction:
Lazio - Lecce 2-0

FORZA LAZIO !!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Well I'd like to see Simeone come on for Baggio 2nd half unless Baggio plays a blinder. If all the players dont recover it will have to be 4-4-2 with Evacuo starting up front with Lopez. Liverani and Baggio will team up with Fiore and Poborsky.

I am confident with this game. Fiore and Lopez have been linking up well and Lopez seems ok with a cross coming in from the right.
The defense will be solid as always I couldnt ask for more and Bravo Marchegiani :star: 350 game in his 9th season with us

Lazio 2-0 Lecce
Lopez, Fiore

·
International
6,519 Posts
Well, I think we have to win no matter what, but I doubt we will win by a big score. We will again see Lopez in the attack, and we all know he ain't consistant. I'd love to see Evacuo once again, and hopefully, see him score aswell.

I say Lazio 2-1 Lecce, goals from Liverani and Nesta :stuckup:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Preview: Lazio-Lecce
Lazio - Lecce | News Archive

Lazio's striker Claudio Lopez (AP)
04/05/2002. Lazio-Lecce

AT STAKE

Seven days after one of the most convincing outings of their troubled season, Lazio will shoot for the fourth positive result in a row when they host Lecce, who desperately need a win in order to keep on hoping in a difficult save.

The Biancocelesti played a very good match last Sunday in Turin against Juventus, grabbing a deserved draw. It was a further confirmation that Lazio have managed to bounce back from the humiliating loss they suffered four rounds ago in the Rome derby.

Zaccheroni's men desperately need to win as much as possible from now to the end of the Serie A, as this would be the only way for them to grab a spot in next season's Uefa Cup. Lazio currently trail sixth-placed Chievo and fifth-placed Milan, who will face each other on Sunday afternoon, by five and six points respectively.

Lecce also will join this match after a positive result. The Salentini had no choice but winning against bottom-placed Venezia and they made it, but only at the end of a very difficult match. However, this victory didn't change the situation for Rossi's men that much, and they must try to fill a six-point gap in order to reach the safety. This means that they just can't afford to commit any false step in the last five rounds.

TEAM NEWS

-Lazio: plenty of troubles for coach Zaccheroni, who will miss at least eight players. Giannichedda is suspended, while Peruzzi, Crespo, Simone Inzaghi, Dino Baggio, Colonnese, Mendieta and Mihajlovic will all be sidelined with injuries. Furthermore, the hosts could also have to do without Stankovic, who is suffering from a muscular problem. Simeone is expected to be back in the middle, while Lopez will be the lone striker, supported by Fiore, who will play a step behind.

Probable line-up (4-4-1-1): Marchegiani; Stam, Nesta, Couto, Favalli;, Castroman, Liverani, Simeone, Stankovic; Fiore; Lopez
Bench: Favazza, Pancaro, Negro, Poborski, Cesar, Gottardi, Evacuo

Injured: Peruzzi, Crespo, Simone Inzaghi, Dino Baggio, Colonnese, Mendieta, Mihajlovic
Suspended: Giannichedda
Cautioned (one more yellow card to be suspended): Simone Inzaghi, Nesta

-------------------------------

-Lecce. No big worries for coach Rossi, who will only miss two injured players, namely right wing-back Balleri and reserve striker Cimirotic. There will be a couple of changes in Lecce's line-up, compared to last week's home win over Venezia, as Juarez and Tonetto will replace Billy and Colonnello.

Starting line-up (4-4-2): Chimenti; Juarez, Silvestri, Popescu, Stovini; Giacomazzi, Conticchio, Piangerelli, Tonetto; Chevanton, Vugrinec
Bench: Frezzolini, Billy, Colonnello, Savino, Superbi, Vucinic, Biliotti

Injured: Balleri, Cimirotic
Suspended: none
Cautioned (one more yellow card to be suspended): Chevanton, Juarez, Savino

FORM GUIDE & NUMBERS

Lazio last 6 matches: WWLDWD. The humiliating defeat in the Capital derby against Roma was the lone false step for Lazio in the last six contests, as well as the only home defeat of the whole season. In the last two matches played at the Olimpico the Biancocelesti defeated Udinese and Venezia, while on the road a win in Bergamo over Atalanta was followed by two straight draws against Brescia and Juventus.

Overall: 10 W ?11 D ?8 L - Average points per match 1.41 ?Goals scored/conceded 39-29
At home: 7 W ?6 D ?1 L ?Average points per match 1.93 ?Goals scored/conceded 28-12

Lecce last 6 matches: WDLLLW. Venezia and Fiorentina, that's to say the two teams which follow them in the ranking, are the only sides Lecce have managed to defeat in their last 14 contests. Last week's home win over the Lagunari stopped a three-match losing streak for Rossi's men, who have conceded at least one goal in each of their last ten outings.

Overall: 6 W ?9 D ?14 L - Average points per match 0.93 ?Goals scored/conceded 32-46
Away: 3 W ?3 D ?8 L ?Average points per match 1.93 ?Goals scored/conceded 16-27

PLAYERS TO WATCH

-Lazio: Claudio Lopez. "El Piojo" was very effective against Juventus. Lazio miss both Crespo and Simone Inzaghi, so it will be difficult for them to win without the contribution of the speedy Argentinean striker.

-Lecce: Javier Chevanton. Same thing: Lecce need the three points, and the Uruguayan striker is by far the most effective among the Salentini in front of the opponents' net.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

Unfortunately for the guests, the lack of pressure in these final rounds seems to have produced a positive effect on Lazio, who were quite impressive against Juventus. In spite of their line-up troubles, the Biancocelesti shouldn't have big troubles in showing that they are by far the better team: Lecce found it difficult to defeat Venezia, I can't see them doing better at the Olimpico.

Lazio 3 Lecce 1

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
On Laziomania it says that Castroman will hold the midfield and not Simeone or Baggio i will cry if this is true.....

Also Poborsky is gone......now Lazio is giving him the sign a contract or you'll be benched :rolleyes:

Damn we are lame...........I feel stupid for supporting a team run by such an idiot.......wastes players like Mendieta DeLaPena etc and doesnt have a clue.

Bring in Trappatoni

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probable lineup:

......................Marchegiani
Stam.....Nesta.....Couto.....Favalli
Poborsky...Castroman...Liverani...Stankovic
............................Fiore
............................Lopez

Castroman to play in the midddle? Well that is an experiment. He did very well against Juve but that was on the right and I'm a bit afraid weather he can do the same in midfield. Anyway, I'm just glad to see him in the team.

·
Registered
713 Posts
we are in mid april and this guy is still experimenting new tactics and line-ups...:rolleyes: patethic !

anyways.. we have to win this game ! and Zac should play the best team possible insteed of doing experiments that maybe won't work !!

imo he should play with two attackers and Fiore behind... Evacuo starting maybe...

Forza Lazio anyways.. :devil:

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see Zac has much of a choice here. Castroman in the middle is indeed an experiment, but what is he supposed to do? Giannichedda is suspended, Mendieta is injured, Baggio hasn't played one good match this season and Simeone isn't ready to play 90 minutes yet. And Fiore behind Lopez worked really well against Juventus, and this time again our wingers will be the key to win this game. I'm just happy that Deki will make it to the line-up.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good result!

Well, Forza Torino! They managed to hold on to a 1-1 draw with Bologna. Torino goalkeeper Luca Bucci had a brilliant match and denied Cruz on a number of occations. So now we just need Chievo - Milan to end with and a Lazio victory and the CL spot might actually be within reach.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perfect! Chievo and Milan drew 1-1, so now we just need a win to gain some ground on them and Bologna. I'm a bit worried about Torino and Atalanta though. They are coming awfully close. What an upset today: Inter - Atalanta 1-2. :eek:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Somehow wind was blowing Juve's way today:D

...and Roma..two penalties in three minutes:eek: Juve Style?:D ;) :tongue:

I just think that our guys should concentrate on the task at hand. Win your games guys. Starting tonight. If others fail and we cash in on it...well, even better:D

If not....we can say that at least at the very end something clicked in the team.

You have nothing to lose. Make the fans proud.

FORZA LAZIO:proud:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I think the results so far a big chance for our team to close the gap. I hope they know it and will do everything for win this game.

Forza Lazio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
17 minutes into the second half.. still 0-0... :(

Simeone in for Pobo :happy:
WELCOME BACK EL CHOLO!! :star:

Now get the freakin' 3 points!!!!!!

FORZA LAZIO!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Gooooooooooooooooooooool

1:0 Stefano Fiore :D:D:D:D

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Goooooaaaaaaaaaall!!!

FIORE ! :happy:

"Bellissimo" cross from Deki finds Fiore who's shot was deflected off Popescu's head and in it went! :cool:

Well deserved goal, according to kataweb ! ;)

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stankovic is taken out and Cesar enters the pitch. Looks like Zac wants to defend with all he's got now... Hang on tight...:nervous:

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Phew... we made it :)

Well... 6 more games to go, 5 points behind the 4th place.. looks like we'll be forced to choose between CL or screwing Roma on the 5th of May ..

FORZA LAZIO!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FULL TIME

Perfect!

Lazio won through a Stefano Fiore goal midways through second half. After that, Zaccheroni made some subs to defend the lead. Lecce nearly equalized when they hit the post, but in the end Lazio managed to hold on to the lead. Vugrinec was sent off in the dieng seconds of the game for two yellow cards in one minute. One for a foul on Liverani and one for protests. Lazio is now actually in reach of the magic fourth spot which could mean Champion's League qualification. A result that would be incredible on top of a miserable season. Last but not least: Lazio welcomed back Diego Simeone, a true fighter and a leader in midfield. Welcome back El Cholo! :)

FORZA LAZIO ALEEEE !! :happy:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
A victory, wow........

That's so important. :D:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts