Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three points should be going to Lazio this weekend, as we entertain our friends from Verona at Stadio Olimpico. Verona is struggeling to survive in Serie A and it is expected that they will put up a fight to earn points. A huge blow for them is that they will be missing Mutu in attack.

Lazio has played good lately and won a good away victory in Firenze last week to send Viola directly to Serie B. Castroman has the last few weeks taken the right wing instead of Poborsky, done good and is expected to start again. Even Mendieta played good in that game. But Lazio still has problems scoring and it's rarely the score more than one goal per game this season. Another curiosity is that the goals rarely come from the strikers, which lately has been Lopez alone. Inzaghi is back from injury and should partner Lopez.

Personally I hope Zac will loosen up a little on his defensive approach and field more than one striker and an attacking midfielder in stead of two defensive. We have to win and to win we need the firepower.

My prediction:
Lazio - Verona: 2-0, Inzaghi, Fiore

FORZA LAZIO !!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Preview: Lazio-Verona
Lazio - Hellas Verona | News Archive

04/18/2002. BACKGROUND

If Lazio harbour any hopes of securing that last remaining Champions League spot, they must beat Verona at the Stadio Olimpico on Sunday afternoon.

The Biancocelesti have enjoyed an upturn in fortunes of late and have lost just once in their last nine games. They are hardly winning in style (this is by no means the Lazio of old) but they are winning nonetheless. Last week Lucas Castroman was incredibly fortunate with his goal against Fiorentina at the Artemio Franchi. The little Argentine is in a good run of form at the moment but surely even he was surprised when his intended cross flew straight into the top corner of the net.

Despite the club's good recent run, this is still an unstable time for the fans. Coach Alberto Zaccheroni has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona this week, with Francesco Coco suggesting the deal is all but done. The doubts also persist about Alessandro Nesta's future at the club, and it has again been suggested that Manchester United could make an imminent move. With the on-off saga of whether Olivier Dacourt and Marc van Bommel are joining the club, these are uncertain times indeed.

In early February it looked very much as though Verona could achieve the impossible and qualify or Europe. Since then they have been brutally exposed, and last week's narrow 1-0 win over relegation rivals Udinese was only their second victory in ten games. They can no longer rely on an excellent home record that saw them win a club record six Serie A games in a row earlier in the season, while goalscoring has become a huge problem and only Adrian Mutu finds the net with any kind of regularity,. At least strike partner Mario Frick is back from injury and it was he who scored the only goal in last week's win.

FORM GUIDE

Lazio Last Six Matches: LDWDWW

The only defeat game in the most embarrassing way possible when they were beaten 5-1 by Roma in the derby. Since then they have drawn away at Brescia (1-1), beaten Udinese (2-0), gained a creditable draw at Juventus and secured back-to-back wins against Lecce and Fiorentina.

Verona Last Six Matches: WLLLDW

Victories against Parma and Udinese have helped keep Verona's head above water, otherwise Alberto Malesani's side would be in dire trouble. Defeats away at Juventus and Chievo as well as at home to Torino did little for morale but the draw at Brescia a couple of week's ago was a point gained.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

Lazio- Zaccheroni must do without the injured Hernan Crespo and Dejan Stankovic. The latter's absence means that Lucas Castroman will continue in midfield. Sinisa Mijailovic is also out. Claudio Lopez will plough a lone furrow up-front, with Stefano Fiore just behind. Jaap Stam will again play out of position at right-back, with Nesta and Fernando Couto taking up the central-defensive positions.

PL- 4-4-1-1- Peruzzi, Stam, Nesta, Couto, Favalli, Castroman, Giannicheda, Liverani, Mendieta, Fiore, Lopez

Verona- Malesani must do without the suspended Adrian Mutu, so Emilian Salvetti will play up-front. Marco Zanchi also serves a one-match ban, while Guiseppe Colucci, Giancarlo Filippini and Massimo Oddo are all ruled out through injury.

PL- 3-4-3- Ferron, P,Cannavaro, Dainelli, teodorani, Cassetti, Italiano, L.Colucci, Seric, Camoranesi, Frick

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Gaizka Mendieta (Lazio)- the Spanish international has had a miserable time of things since his move from Spain but will get a rare start in this match. There has again been speculation over his future this week but he has revealed that he is not yet sure what next season holds. Perhaps a strong end to the campaign will convince Lazio to keep him on board.

Mario Frick (Verona)- the Liechtenstein international has taken everyone by surprise since his move to Serie A and has netted on six ocassions. His pace, power and strength in the air should be enough to keep Lazio's centre-back duo of Nesta and Couto on their toes.

SOCCERAGE PREDICTION

Lazio to strengthen their claim for a Champions League spot.

Lazio Win 50%
Draw 30%
Verona Win 20%

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probable line up. - From Laziomania

.........................Peruzzi
Stam.....Nesta.....Couto.....Favalli
Castroman...Giannichedda...Liverani...Mendieta
..........................Fiore
..........................Lopez

Mendieta did well against Viola I'm glad he gets the chance to prove himself again. But I am soooo sick of Zac's defensive approach. Inzaghi is ready, we play at home, Verona is a poor away team and we have to win BUT ONLY ONE STRIKER!!! :mad: :frustrat: I know that this tactic has been succesful, but to play with only two offensive players really sucks the big one. This is not the Lazio I want to see. :depress:

·
International
6,519 Posts
Agreed there laziali ! :mad:

What the hell is Zac thinking ? Why with only 1 striker [Lopez] in the attack against a team that rarely scores on away matches ? I am so sick of Zacs games, when is the last time we scored 2 goals in one match ? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Where is la mia Lazio, who scored 2-3 goals every match ? *sigh* ...

I miss Lazio's past matches, we played like France and Argentina play today... :depress:

Anyway, my prediction, Lazio 2-0 Verona

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Good news :)

Crespo is fully recovered and might start tommorow! :happy: Though he'll probably start on the bench and come on later in the second half..

Deki is recovered and he'll probably start aswell :cool:

FORZA LAZIO!!

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
:( Stam sent off. He got his second yellow card for protests, so he will be suspended for the next match. We can barely do without him.

Edit: And two minutes later Crespo scores in his comeback. 5-1! :happy:

Edit 2: And two minutes after that, Colluci scored. 5-2

1 - 20 of 34 Posts