Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the league got into it's interesting stages now :cool, and today's game looks promising as those two teams usually have some great matches between them..

Al Nassr ( playing at home since they finished 3rd ) would be loooking for revenge as Ahly have knocked them out so many times and are certainly their bogey team, Mohsen Al Harthy won't be available for this game, and Ma6er isn't in the line up ( Injury I think? ) so their probably line up would be : Khojali - 7alawy, Abdullah Al Janoobi, Al Dawood, Al Thaqafy - Julio Cesar, Bader al Haqbani, Al Janoobi, Sa3ad Al Zahrani - Kita, Faisal Saif... Ali Yazid might start upfront aswell but my guess would be that he'll come in later on ..

Al Ahly will have to coup without Obeid, 6alal and Sa3ad Al Dossary.. which means that Gahwaji is back in the line up ( against one of his favourites victims ) .. their line up should look something like this:

Tayseer - Shiliya, Seeka, Jadoo3, Hussain Abdel'3ani - Al Mohammadi, Al Shehri, Al Zahrany, Al Shenaif - Gahwaji, Jizani.

On a side note, I like the new formation instead of the "Golden square", Although Hilal will usually end up in the final every season :D( Rightfully so :stuckup:;) ) but it gives s more excitement while the old rule was kinda boring and too long ..

Winner meets Itti in Jeddah .. and I predict a Jeddah derby semifinal ;)

oh and Ibrahim Al Nafeesa is going to be Abdulrahman Bin Su3ood's next victim :D:howler:

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Nassr won 3-1 on penalties after the two teams played out a nil nil draw.

Mohammed Shilia, Khaled alShnef, ;) husseina ;) :D :dielaugh: (Ahli) and Ali Yazeed (Nassr) missed. Fadhel Kita, Abdallah alJanoubi, Julio Cesar (Nassr), and Fawzi alShehri (Ahli) scored.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone.. I got to see the game.. and here are a few points:

1. Obaid should be prosecuted for his miss in the 2nd half of extra time..!!! I swear to God if I was a manager and one of my star attackers did what he did.. I'd transfer list him.. He could have taken the shot and got it over with.. instead.. he juggled tha ball until it was taken away!!

2. All in all.. a average game.. with many chances but very bad executing!!

3. The penalties was even a bigger joke!! 2 internationals and a former international ALL missed for Al Ahli!!! (Didn't these guys ever train for penalties with the NT??!!!) while Al Nasr also managed to miss one too!! I was joking with a friend.. after keeping the game at 0-0 fdor 120 mins.. they might go further and miss all penalties.. well they missed half of them!! :eek: ;)

4. Al Ahli only have themselves to blame for going out.. they clearly didn't look as serious as a team going for the title!!

5. Al Nasr, on the other hand, were'nt that much better.. and with a performance like this in the game against Al Ittihad.. they'd be eaten alive!! Why?? cuz simply that Al Ittihad are the best team in Saudi who know how to make the best of their chances!! (plus the SMALL fact that the game will be here in Jeddah :D)

·
Registered
319 Posts
MoMo said:

On a side note, I like the new formation instead of the "Golden square", Although Hilal will usually end up in the final every season :D( Rightfully so :stuckup:;) ) but it gives s more excitement while the old rule was kinda boring and too long ..

That's true! Hilal won almost 50% of the league titles prior to the 90/91 season. The golden square was indeed created to allow other teams to compete more often. Although my team suffered from it a lot (we topped the league 6 times since 90/91 but only won it twice), It's fine with me since it did improve Saudi football in general. However, this format is even better, but may be they should forget about the 4th. Just make the 3rd play the second and the winner fights it with the leader. I don't think getting 4th merits anything. After all it's just 12 teams in the league. This way, the league will be more competitive from the beginning, especially between the big 4. Also, something like that can be done at the bottom of the table too.

As for Ahli, I don't think they expected to win after firing their coach for two years at this stage especially after a non-crucial game. In a way, it is better for them to lose in PK's. This allows them to concentrate on the Crown Prince Cup while still winning some pride by drawing with NAsr in Riyadh after 120 mins.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Well I don't think a goalless draw against Al Nasr (especially in the manner it was acheived) is any thing to be proud of!! Al Ahli have the worst goals/shots ratio I've ever seen.. they are so creative in forging many chances.. but end up wasting all of them.. I mean.. Obaid alone had nearly 5 chances to win the match!!

About the format.. well yes the new system is much more exciting.. as we saw.. Al Ittihad and Al Hilal fought out top spot until the last game of the regular season (then al Hilal went bezerk with 13 goals in 2 games!! :rolleyes: ).. In previous years, a team would actually take a small nap after he's sure of qualifying... But I really don't like the new name.. Al mothalath al maasi (the diamond triangle or something)..

Oh and the idea of the top 3 is a good one.. if we stay on 12 teams.. I've heard they are studying the idea of increasing the number of teams.. Although I don't know what there is to study about it!! It can only benefit the game.. more competition.. (even if not at the top.. at the bottom)... I actually can't think of a good league that has a number of clubs as low as in the Saudi League!!.. For God's sake.. there was a time where the English League had 24 teams!!! that's TWICE the number of teams we have!!.. My opinion would be increase ya 3ammi!! and if FOR SOME REASON (like Al Hilal not being able to win after the increase or something :tongue:) it proved to be unsatisfactory.. then reduce it again!!...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Increasing the league would benefit bottom feeders but the financial burden on the FA it will bring makes it difficult to implement.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Increasing the number of teams would be a good idea. It would make the league more competitive and would generate more income (more gate receipts, more games to televise on pay TV).

But the Hilalis might not like it :D ;) . The last time we had a "full size" league was in 1982 when the first and second division were merged. Ittihad won that year and Hilal wasn't even in the running (Shabab finished second I believe). Needless to say, they reverted to the old system the next year.

·
totally innocent
2,227 Posts
Adel, notice the smilies in my previous post, I only added that comment to add more spice :) .

In fairness, I don't know much about the 1982 season because it was before my time, but I understand it was a trial run rather than a temporary measure. In the end they decided not to continue with the enlarged league.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts