Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Match Preview courtesy of www.theworldgame.com.au

England ready for Cameroon

England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has encouraged his team to come out with all guns blazing in their final World Cup warm-up match against Cameroon.

Eriksson's injury-hit squad face the physical African champions on Sunday and despite concerns of further injuries, Eriksson said his side will not be taking it easy.

"If you go into a friendly game and you are afraid of being injured the possibility of being injured is bigger, much bigger,” he said.

"You have to tackle and you have to play as you normally do, without doing stupid things of course," he said.

Eriksson acknowledged the importance of the match to England's World Cup first phase even though it had been devalued by the mounting injury list.

He had originally hoped to use the match as an opportunity to bed down his starting line-up for England's World Cup opener against Sweden on June 2.

"A few weeks ago I was asked if I would field my strongest team against Cameroon and I said yes. Today I will say no - I can't, it's impossible," he said.

"We're going to let more or less everyone play as we have done during all the friendly games because at this point that's the only way to do it."

Eriksson and the England camp may console themselves with the thought that their troubled build-up pales into insignificance with Cameroon's farcical preparations.

Under respected German coach Winfried Schafer, Cameroon had slowly shed their reputation for chaotic organisation and haphazard planning.

But all the old doubts re-emerged last week amid disputes over bonus money and flying permits. The Africans finally arrived in Japan late Thursday but only after a four-day delay.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any other sad cases out there like me, who will be up in the middle of the night paying $20 to watch us play another sub standard 90 minutes of hoofing the ball around like it doesn't really matter?

Commitment, or should I just be commited...?

The truth is I would probably pay $50 and be subjected to Chinese water toture if I had to....anything to watch my beloved England.

See how the Pay per view people take advantage of poor souls like me...?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
International Friendly Preview: England V Cameroon
England - Cameroon | News Archive

Owen set to lead England's walking wounded (Allsport)
05/25/2002. BACKGROUND

England face Cameroon on Sunday in what is for both sides their last friendly before the World Cup finally kicks-off in less than a weeks time. Both teams go into this warm-up clash having had far from idea weeks for very different reasons.

England are enduring an injury nightmare that has probably left Bobby Charlton considering coming out of retirement to be placed on standby. As a result of these injuries Sven Goran Eriksson has admitted he is unable to field his strongest team against the African Nations Cup champions, and is likely to make plenty of substitutions, as he did against South Korea on Tuesday.

Cameroon have not had the chance to pick up injuries as they have spent the past week just trying to arrive in the Far East. The squad were initially delayed in Paris after a row over players' bonuses took two days to resolve. After stopping in Bombay the teams plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Bangkok after the pilot realised he didn't have permission to fly over Cambodian, Vietnamese and Phillipine airspace. After a six hour delay the team led by German coach Winfried Schafer finally arrived at their Japanese training camp and promptly beat Japanese club side Saga Tosu 1-0 thanks to a goal from Real Mallorca's Samuel Eto'o.

TEAM NEWS

England are without Danny Murphy, who has been forced to pull out of the World Cup after breaking a bone in his foot during training. His place in the squad has been taken by Trevor Sinclair, although the West Ham man must be suffering from jet-lag having travelled 16,000 miles during this week. David Beckham and Kieron Dyer are England's biggest injury worries and are both far from certain of playing against Sweden on June 2. Ashley Cole and David Seaman are also out of this friendly with Cameroon, while Nicky Butt and Robbie Fowler only resumed full training on Friday and would only play a small part of Sunday's friendly at the most. Teddy Sheringham has recovered from a blistered foot and Owen Hargreaves picked up a knock against South Korea, but apart from that England have a clean bill of health.

WORLD CUP SQUADS

England:

Goalkeepers: Seaman (Arsenal), Martyn (Leeds), James (West Ham).
Defenders: Ferdinand (Leeds), Campbell (Arsenal), Southgate (Middlesbrough), Ashley Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Southampton), Mills (Leeds), Brown (Man Utd),
Keown (Arsenal).
Midfielders: Beckham (Man Utd), Scholes (Man Utd), Sinclair (West Ham), Dyer (Newcastle), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Joe Cole (West
Ham).
Forwards: Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Vassell (Aston Villa), Fowler (Leeds), Sheringham (Tottenham).

Cameroon:

Goalkeepers: Boukar (Samsusport/Tur), Songo'o (Metz/Fra), Kameni (Juventus/Ita)
Defenders: Song (Cologne/Ger), Nkongo (Extramadura/Spa), Wome (Bologna/Ita), Mettomo (Manchester City/Eng), Beaka (Strasbourg/Fra)
Midfielders: Tchato (Montpellier/Fra), Alnoudji (Rize Sport/Tur), Djemba (Nantes/Fra), Foe (Lyon/Fra), Lauren (Arsenal/Eng), Ndo (Al Khaleej/Ksa), Kome (Numancia/Spa), Geremi (Real Madrid/Spa), Olembe (Marseille/Fra), Epalle (Panahaiki/Gre)
Forwards: Eto'o (Real Mallorca/Spa), MBoma (Sunderland/Eng), Ndiefi (Sedan/Fra), Suffo (Numancia/Spa), Job (Metz/Fra).

SA PREDICTION

England - 30%
Draw - 50%
Cameroon - 20%

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Injury Forces David Seaman Out Of Cameroon Friendly
News Archive

Seaman gives Sven another reason to worry (Allsport)
05/25/2002. England's World Cup injury list has a new name this morning. Arsenal goalkeeper David Seaman has picked up a minor groin injury and will play no part in England's final friendly against Cameroon on Sunday.

The injury isn't expected to put Seaman's chances of starting England's World Cup opener against Sweden on June 2 in any doubt though.

England's number one joins David Beckham, Kieron Dyer, Nicky Butt, and Ashley Cole on the sidelines for tomorrow's friendly, while Robbie Fowler is a doubt for the clash.

soccerage

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
oh...Geremi...our merengue...:happy:

how great our guys are! they work for respective NT play key roles.now i wish Makelele could win a start partner with Vieira.:cool:

haha...hope Geremi would not trouble us spain in the world cup. :D its most probably spain NT against Cameroon in the second phase.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
the first goal was done by Eto'o, the former white.;)

i feel more and more dangerous for this african team.their main mumbers are growing up in liga that's familiar with spain NT. it'd better spain would not come up against them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Flower scores !! right before the final whistle. Camroon shows a great potential :)

Laoer , Eto'o is my boy, I do like him;) :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
have you watched the match,bj guy? i just opened the tv set to see cameroon lead.

who would you support in the world cup besides china?

·
Registered
655 Posts
CCTV will show South Korea VS France later , maybe u can see Zizou ;)

I support Italia beside our NT, hope we can meet yours spain in the final ;) :D

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
oh,important news forecast.thx so much!:) i would follow.btw, i wonder ZZ would come out.our real men are too tired.they are the last ended the euro matches together with leverkusen's. Lemerre would deal with ZZ like Olivera to Figo,i just think...:rolleyes:

btw,your italy would not meet us in the final.they are in the same half zone.before the final any of them will be selected.well,i dnt count much spain would go far as expect.in our half zone italy will hopefully come out to face argentina or france.

·
Registered
775 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Bad Result!

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
England 2 - Darius Vassell 12; Robbi Fowler 90
Cameroon 2 - Samuel Eto\'o Fils 5; Jeremie Sorel 58
Half time: 1-1, Attendance: 42000
Referee: Katayama
Stadium: Kobe Universiade Memorial

England: Nigel Martyn (David James, 46), Rio Ferdinand (Martin Keown, 46), Sol Campbell (Gareth Southgate, 46), Wes Brown, Wayne Bridge, Paul Scholes (Danny Mills, 46), Owen Hargreaves, Joe Cole, Michael Owen (Teddy Sheringham, 46), Emile Heskey (Trevor Sinclair, 46), Darius Vassell (Robbi Fowler, 76)

Cameroon: Alioum Boukar (Jacques Songo\'o, 78), Rigobert Song (Joseph Cyrille Ndo, 69), Pierrå Nlend Wome (Pierre Djanka Beaka, 61), Bill Tchato, Marc Vivien Foe (Eric Djemba Djemba, 53), Salomon Olembe (Ngom Jome Daniel, 53), Patrick Mboma (Pius Ndiefi, 60), Geremi Njitap (Nicolas Alnoudji, 66), Raymond Kalla Nkongo (Lucien Mettomo, 56), Samuel Eto\'o Fils (Joel Epalle, 60)

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Rio Ferdinand proved again he isn't a defender.Constant ball watching and getting caught in no mans land.Turning your back on the ball when a forward shoots is unforgivable.Southgate,Keown must play.Rio must be the most overrated defender in the World.

I will laugh my bollox off if ManUre pay £20m for this clown.:D

G

·
England is probably the most unpredictable team in the World Cup.

Will Wes Brown play instead of Danny Mills?
Will Ashley Cole play instead of Wayne Bridge?
Will Owen Hargreaves or Nicky Butt be in the starting line-up?
Who will partner Owen upfront?
Will Nicky Butt be fit?
Will David Beckham be fit?
Will Kieron Dyer be fit?
Will Seaman be fit enough to play instead of Martyn?
What tactics will Sven use? 4.4.2 or 4.3.3
Will Joe Cole, Kieron Dyer or Emile Heskey play on the left?
Will Wayne Bridge and Ashley Cole both play on the left?
Who will play on the right if Beckham is not fit?

England are fucked IMO. David Seaman is slightly injured, Ashley Cole is slightly injured, David Beckham is injured, So is Nicky Butt and Kieron Dyer. Sol Campbell, Owen Hargreaves have only just recovered from minor injuries while Robbie Fowler is still trying to get over his.

Steven Gerrard, Gary Neville and Danny Murphy are all injured and out. The average age of the England national team is very young. England are in the group of death.

:groan:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The team Cameroon played was the same team which:-

won the african cup(they conceded no goals)
draw with argentina

on top of that we had no chance of playing a full squad, 2-2 was a good result considering the circumstances....

England are f.ucked for the world cup though, i think you would all agree with me :depress:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am afraid I have to disagree with you. Sorry! Having this kind of mentality, you have already lost while the real game has not started yet.:sigh:

How can you guys make judgements based on a friendly match? Don't you know the purpose of friendlies is to fool your rivals? A clever manager never lays his cards on the table at this stage.

But I have to admit Rio played sh!t. Really! Well, he's never been good anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts