Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leeds will play Derby at Pride Park on Saturday. Do you think Leeds will try a couple of experiments for next season now that they have nothing to play for? Derby of course has already been relegated to Division One and will want to give their fans a little bit to cheer about in their last couple of games in the top flight.

Some Leeds players might even be fighting for a place in the Leeds squad, next season, so really there is something to play for. Interesting to see what will happen in this game.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I think that we do have something to play for. Do we really want to finish the season off behind Chelsea? NO! I think that we will have all cylinders firing and try to take over Chelsea and show those Derby fans a really bad time!!!:devil:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Well we should definitely try to win everygame, but now would be a good chance to test out Robinson again, and give some of the youth a chance, as with our team youth and scouting are really the keys to success. Experiment, try new formations, now is the time to do it.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, Singh would be good to see on the pitch.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
And may'be Frazer Richardson...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, not a bad player he is. Not that I have seen him play. :tongue: But I have heard good things about him. Watch out Danny Mills!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have an extra ticket to the match tomorrow. If anyone wants it they can PM me or post that they want it in this thread. The last time i will be checking my internet stuff is about 8.30 tomorrow morning.

It has a good price as well. I'll take whatever you want to give me for it. Its with the away supporters, and sitting next to yours truly.

cheers,

-Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
A good price - unfortunately I think that the flight over to England may raise the price a little..
Very nice offer though..

I am not too sure how up for it Leeds really are.... and as the other teams are scrapping to survive relegation they have more to play for. Derby were really good against Newc, it's just a shame the linesman ruined it..
It would have been a completely different story if we had been playing Chelsea in our last game - then that would have been really interesting.. oh well...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Match Report

Match Report
A first-half goal by Lee Bowyer, his seventh of the season, gave United a 1-0 win at Pride Park and ended Derby's Premiership status on home soil on a sorry note.
The Leeds midfielder caped a solid all round display with a clinical finish, but in truth United should have won this contest by a mile.

But after losing England striker Robbie Fowler midway through the first period with a hip injury, another worry for England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, Alan Smith, who created Bowyer's goal, hit a post and Harry Kewell was denied by a superb save by Mart Poom.

England defender Danny Mills missed the game through suspension with Gary Kelly returning at right-back, as the Leeds side showed three changes to the side that lost to Fulham last weekend. Kewell returned after a month sidelined through a gashed foot and former Rams star Seth Johnson started in midfield at the expense of David Batty.

The United fans taunted the home crowd, several of who had a tears in the eyes on Derby's last appearence for the moment in the Premiership, and had the Leeds midfield spotted the through ball a little earlier, then Smith and Robbie Fowler, back in tandem in attack in the absence of Mark Viduka, would have been through on goal early on.

Both strikers were caught offside four times inside the first quarter as was Lee Bowyer and Kewell, with the Australian international causing Derby problems down the left flank.

Giorgi Kinkladze offered Derby's best moments and Malcolm Christie looked lively, but it was no surprise when Leeds took the lead on 16 minutes.

Bowyer, who has a liking to scoring against the Rams - he scored at Derby on his United debut - latched onto Smith's clever overhead pass on the halfway line, raced into the area and beat advancing Derby keeper Mart Poom with a clever chip from 12 yards.

Immediately the home crowd were appealing for a penalty as Branko Strupar was involved in a tussle with Rio Ferdinand inside the Leeds area but referee Graham Poll, later to be the victim of some amusing ribbing from both sets of supporters, waved away the claim.

Both sides were forced to make substitutions as Fowler fell and appeared to damage his hip, Robbie Keane coming on after 20 minutes, with Lee Morris being replaced by Ian Evatt a minute later.

Erik Bakke and Keane both contrived to miss a glorious chance five minutes later, the Irish international stabbing wide from close range after the Norwegian missed the ball completely following an inviting cross from the left by Kewell.

Derby continued to dangerously push their back four high inside their own half with Leeds looking likely to break through at any moment and Kewell went close to creating one of his magic moments when he raced past four defenders on halfway, advanced to the edge of the area and shot for goal only to be denied by a brilliant stop by Poom.

The Estonian keeper then saved another Bowyer effort when the midfielder burst though again on 40 minutes and Leeds deserved their lead as they went into the interval.

Strupar could have restored parity just three minutes into the second period but he sliced his attempt at goal while Smith's trickery at the other end had the Derby defenders confused, but the Leeds striker's shot was blocked.

The home side were determined not to end their six year reign in the topflight with a defeat and showed greater fighting spirit with Christie blazing over the bar from six yards out.

Yet still United looked the more likely team to score and Poom had to come racing off his line to prevent Kewell from finishing off Johnson's clever diagonal ball, Ian Harte's shot was deflected wide and Bowyer's 20 yard drive flew wide of the right-hand post.

After Gary Kelly caused a stir when he appeared to throw the ball at one of the ball-boys, Smith missed a superb chance to make the game safe for Leeds. Latching onto Kewell's header forward, he beat two defenders and rounded Poom, but he stumbled at the crucial moment and his stabbed attempt hit the post.

Derby created late pressure when United had to defend deep and one dangerous ball was hacked clear, but in truth the home side never looked like ending their home season with a goal.

Leeds deserved the points and must now end their campaign with victory against Middlesbrough at Elland Road in two weeks time.

www.leedsunited.com Man of the Match - Alan Smith

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We win! 1-0! Now we are a point off of Chelsea, not that it matters though.
Of course it matters, there is pride at stake. We cannot let Chelsea finish above us. I don't want to finish 6th. We have to take 5th spot, other wise we are just getting worse and worse. Let's take over Chelsea! :devil:

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ooh, you're right. We've been steadily going down a spot these past couple years. Next year we'll climb back up!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah! We will get 1st next season, I know we kept saying that before but if we keep injury free we can do it. We have to stop going down... ONLY UP!!!:tongue:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
leeds_utd_lad said:
Watch out Danny Mills!!!
Er...he's a left-back mate. LOL, no worries :tongue:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Whoops... :D I thought he was, oh well... :tongue:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well, you do liveat the other side of the world! My mates think I'm sad because I know the exact positions of the Under-19's so I don't think you can be that ahsamed! LOL!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Boy, at least your friends LIKE soccer.... over hear it is all "did you see the Red Wings game?" or "Raptors are going to go all the way this year" :eek:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Damn. That must suck dude... Go live in England like me... ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah - or find an english crowd, there are plenty of us here in Victoria. Infact most of my office is English - so today's arguement is about Sven's English National selection - I mean Nicky Butt and Wes Brown - what is he thinking of!!! Do we really need to score some own goals?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts