Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Oceania Nations Cup campaign for the Socceroos begins tomorrow with a game against Vanuatu in Wellignton I think. Remember in the last Oceania Nations Cup in Tahiti in 2000 the Socceroos only won 1-0 in the semi final.

Australia's preparations have been floundered with a training session cancelled due to rain and a practice match also called off.

I hope these NSL stars can do the trick, I think Milicic will probably make his debut, but Chipperfield in action will be great for the Socceroos.

My tip, 5-0.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Green to tha mutha-fcuken gold homeboy!!

It's about time we saw the lads in action in some capacity ...

Australia 6 - 0 Vanuatu

Some plank who doesn't deserve to wear the shirt in an ideal world to net a hattrick.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I think you are all being a little too optimistic and hence unrealistic

Remember the squad are in the off-season (except Chippers should should almost be match fit as the Swiss league started this week) and have had very little preparation time

Hence i think the Vaunatuans ;) will actually score a goal why the team gets to know each other in a playing sense

However this team are playing for the shirt not like a lot of those unpatriotic european pro's (with the likes of Okon having a bludge in Oz while the tournament is on :( ) so they will score more than one goal

I predict 4-1 (to Australia of course; anything but victory is out of the question)

BTW the major reason Chippers is playing in this tournament is because he is trying to ge enough international caps up to be eligable to play in the EPL (A.S.A.P i think although i'd prefer him to play in europe and hopefully CL with Basel this season :hopefull: )

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I dont know why you guys talk of Scott Chipperfield so highly. He is nearly 27, at his peak and at best is a player who will play bench for a full Australian team. Where do you see him playing in the midfield?

How do you think an Australian midfield should look? WIll Paul Okon make the next world cup? Is it time to let Bresciano replace Skoko? This is Australias best midfield kewell-okon-bresciano-emerton. Care to dissagree?

btw Chippers has seemed to be a hit in Basel and I hope im wrong on him.

Im not commenting on the game because I have no idea what the squad is. Why isnt it on theworldgame? I just know Milicic and co is in.I just hope we can win no matter the result.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What's this? Is Australia really playing? Is it time for the Oceania Cup already?

If it wasnt for you guys here keeping me up to date with these things, i wouldnt have known when the Cup was being played:) So who are we playing and when?

And its also good to see the excellent media coverage for this tournament....... as per usual :rolleyes:

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
I reckon chippers is a gun and should play on the left interchanging with kewell in the centre, hes the fastest aussie, I reckon hes very important.

skoko and bresciano should both play in the same side

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
So much for the easy win many of you were predicting; :crazy:

5-0, 9-0, 6-0 :wth: were you thinking. Last time we only beat Vanauatu 1-0 from a Muscat penalty and were only missing Kewell and Viduka

Anyway we won 2-0 with goals from the Perth Glory strikeforce but it took 65minutes to break Vanuatu down an beat their goalie

On this performance i would say we would struggle against Fiji but they only beat New Caledonia 2-1 so looks like they are in the same boat

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Andreas said:
So much for the easy win many of you were predicting; :crazy:

5-0, 9-0, 6-0 :wth: were you thinking. Last time we only beat Vanauatu 1-0 from a Muscat penalty and were only missing Kewell and Viduka

Anyway we won 2-0 with goals from the Perth Glory strikeforce but it took 65minutes to break Vanuatu down an beat their goalie

On this performance i would say we would struggle against Fiji but they only beat New Caledonia 2-1 so looks like they are in the same boat

As opposed to your 4-1 :rolleyes:

If you were a gambling man - yeah you got closest, but you still would've lost your ca$h ;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously it's excellent that Mori and Despotovski scored the goals for the Socceroos :cool: but you can see that they haven't played to their best and may struggle to beat sides by huge margains in this tournament. I think and hope they will get better though.

I wonder if Masi scored for Fiji.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
www.theworldgame.com.au

The Socceroos have opened their Oceania Nations Cup campaign with a solid 2-0 win over Vanuatu at Ericsson Stadium in Auckland.

The scores were locked at 0-0 at half-time, before Perth Glory pair Damian Mori and Bobby Despotovski ensured Australia began the tournament with a clinical but unspectacular win.

Mori registered his 27th international goal to open the scoring on 69 minutes, before substitute Despotovski made the most of his debut in Socceroos colours five minutes from time.

The contest had been an even one for much of the early skirmishes, with the Socceroos players struggling to regain their touch in a game that was the first for many in more than two months.

Australia had two penalty appeals turned down in the first half, the first in the 15th minute for handball and the second just before the break when Mori went down inside the area.

Vanuatu had the chance to take a surprise lead just past the half hour mark but debutant Jade North got back to make the last-ditch save, before the best chance for Australia fell to skipper Steve Horvat, whose header was saved by the keeper from point-blank range.

The second half was a different affair though as firstly Mori and then Despotovski got on the score sheet, and Horvat said afterwards the Vanuatu team had impressed him.

"They were well organised and hard to break down and it was our first game together as a team," Horvat said. "We will get better as the tournament goes on, there's a lot of improvement to come."

The goalscoring feats by Mori and Despotovski continue the lethal combination they formed for the Glory in the 2001/02 NSL season, when Mori led the league with 18 goals and Despotovski finished equal third with 14.

Australia’s next game is on Monday when it takes on New Caledonia, with the tournament winner to go on and play in the 2003 Confederations Cup for which Soccer Australia may bid to host.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow what a start.
Honestly what do you think of NZ's chances of winning it.
They have all their Euro based players while we only have NSL based players. But i guess none of their euro players are superstars maybe even just NSL quality? haha
I was hoping for a good showing by Fiji, or at least Nz not to make it past their group!(trans- Tasman rivalry i guess haha)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts