Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're now down to the last 4 in the Oceania Nations Cup. Australia will play Tahiti in one semi final. The other semi final will be between New Zealand the ever improving Vanuatu.

The Aussies will be looking to book a place in the final on Sunday, most likely against New Zealand, and have no major injury worries to worry about. Only captain Horvat Paul Trimboli are carrying minor knocks which they suffered in the Fiji win, but both should be available to play.

Farina has said he is concerned with the amount of games his side is playing in such a short amount of time, especially due to the fact that they have not played in a while. He said that it is a not only a a danger to the players health but also their fitness.

My prediction: 4-0 Australia

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Australia will obliterate Tahiti ... I'd say 11 or 12-0.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Given the chasm which exists in this region, I'd be surprised if we didn't get at least 5 goals... but then again Vanuatu (the surprise team of the tournament) restricted us to only a 2-0 win. Of the teams in Oceania other than Australia and New Zealand, traditionally the only ones who could actually play were Fiji and Tahiti.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
COUTO 5 said:
My tip 7-0
damn that was what i was going to say :fero: :sigh:

So for the sake of being different i will go for 6-0 :D

BW thanks for elaborating on the "spilt milk" in your sig Dyertribe :cool:. You ain't a marketing student by any chance?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2-1 to the Roos in extra time :eek:

We were 2 minutes away from being knocked out :dazed: until Porter scored a free kick in the 88th minute. Mori scored the golden goal after 96 minutes :cool:

Zaveroni gave the Tahitians the lead after 36 minutes after a miss clearance by the defence.

How close we were to elimination :groan:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We should not have won that game, we only got the 1st goal because of a stupid mistake by the keeper. How embarresing... :depress:

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
That is fcuken it.

Sack Farina and sack all the ****e that played that game today.

They have no right to wear that shirt anymore.

People may say this is an over-reaction - we almost LOST TO TAHITI.

Think about it - if we lost then no Confederations Cup (and the lifesaving money that goes with it) and our chances of getting a WCQ spot either directly or through Asia would have been in flames.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Here here DTribe

F()ck i don't know what Farina picked up from being on FIFA's technical committee at the World cup but it obviously wasn't much as his coaching is worse than ever

Oh and as for the excuse that our players were not fit, well Chippers didn't get a favourable mention from Kyle Patterson and the Swiss league has already started so he should be in prime physical condition. The rest of the players i can't speak for but if they were half serious about this tournament then they would be doing their own training

Back to the issue on Frank @ the World cup and i thought those teams that were successful were those that had a youthful squad with 2 or 3 old heads thrown in, not the 9 or so that Farina has picked. I thought the performance of France with their ageing defence would have raised alarm bells for Frank but apparently not :rollani:

Damn i wish SA had some money ( :finger: Labbo and co :frustrat: ) to get a quality foreign coach to get us to the WC cause i've lost all faith in Farina (and unlike a lot of doubters pre WCQ i actually believed in the guy and gave him a lot of chances)

Apparently Bora Mulitinovic is waiting by the phone so to speak to help some third world football nation that he hasn't already helped get to the World cup. Not to mention that Troussier is currently unemployed and i'm sure Hiddink may want to coach an NT sometime in the future. He did amazing things with Korea in just 2 years so i don't see time (and lack of it as the problem)

·
Registered
236 Posts
the final is oz v nz-rather funny from this side that your team nearly did not make it-but i would say our winter this year -even for us has been the pits--the pitch i understand is a mudbath-more bloody rain forcast and plenty of wind as well-these are all levelers and may explain the semi scare

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I think we need a long overdue inquiry into the state of the game in Australia, and we need to sack Farina. To nearly lose to a minnow is a disgrace, especially given the huge chasm that exists in this region. My plan:

- sack Frank Farina
- launch an inquiry into the state of the game
- launch a program for radical reform
- hire a coach like Troussier

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
www.theworldgame.com.au

The Socceroos have gone within minutes of one of the most embarrassing defeats in their history, only equalising two minutes before time in their Oceania Nations Cup semi-final against Tahiti before prevailing 2-1 thanks to a golden goal.

Teva Zaveroni had given Tahiti a shock 1-0 lead in the 38th minute, and Australia was just moments from a stunning elimination from the tournament before stand-in skipper Mehmet Durakovic salvaged an equaliser in the 88th minute.

That forced the game into extra time, and the period was just six minutes old when veteran Perth Glory striker Damian Mori rescued the result for the Socceroos with his golden goal.

In the night's second semi-final, New Zealand completed a regulation 3-0 win over Vanuatu thanks to a double to Mark Burton in the 13th and 64th minutes and a third goal from Chris Killen in the 32nd minute.

Criticised before the tournament began for taking an ageing squad to New Zealand, Socceroos coach Frank Farina’s position is sure to come under pressure regardless of whether the team goes on to win the tournament.

"I don't think we can play any worse than that and we were lucky to get through in the end," Farina said.

"There's no excuses when you pull on the Australian jersey. You expect players to lift and that performance tonight was not the standard I expect from the team.

"Sometimes you have a bit of luck in football and tonight we had a great deal of it."

Farina added that he hopes his players will lift accordingly for Sunday's final, even though skipper Steve Horvat is in doubt with a leg problem and Patrick Kisnorbo unlikely because of a groin injury - both having missed the semi-final.

"It's hard to know how players are going to perform but going in after what happened tonight, you'd like to think everyone is going to be tuned in," he said. "They bloody better be."

Zaveroni made the most of some woeful Australian defence before beating goalkeeper Jason Petkovic, while veteran Durakovic's goal came when he made the most of a fumble from Tahiti keeper Xavier Samin following a free kick from Mori.

Porter and Mori combined in extra time when Porter fired in the corner that Mori met perfectly to head past Samin.

With Australia trailing at half-time following Zaveroni’s goal and his team’s plan to get behind the ball and chase a goal on the counter attack, Farina was forced to swing the changes in the second half.

On came Porter, Robbie Middleby and Paul Trimboli, and it was Porter who helped saved Australian blushes.

"Maybe they under-estimated the team of Tahiti, maybe that is why they (the Australians) weren't strong mentally," Tahiti coach Patrick Jacequemet said.

"I am proud but I will be prouder if we finish third in this tournament. We need more experiences like that... we had just 15 days of preparation."

The winner of Sunday’s final, expected to also feature host nation New Zealand, will contest next year’s Confederations Cup.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Go back to making ads that take the p1ss out of the Australian soccer community Frank ...

He has completely lost me now ...

I stuck by the plank even after:

1. He persisted in a 4-4-2 even though it was clear Muscat was sh1t, Okon was better as a Sweeper in a back-3 or 5 and so on.

2. He persisted in playing Kewell upfront when he was in-effective before moving him outwide on the left where he should always be (always with only 20 mins to go) and look what happened!! We got the penalty vs URU after he raided up the left again and he also put in some deadly crosses late on in Montevideo and also made the French defense look useless with his runs from deep at the MCG.

3. He didnt find a starting place in any of the three games for Aloisi (Scored against Real, Depor and Valencia for Osasuna), Sterjovski (First-Teamer for top-4 and Champions League Lille) and Bresciano (Arguably Serie-B's best player).

But no ... this is the last straw. I'm not even going to mention Shaun "Outmuscled by a guy half my size with a dislocated shoulder" Murphy and Tony "My foot is completely fcuked but the boss picked me anyway" Popovic or Danny "I've got a 3-game ban but SocAus didnt tell me" Tiatto.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Whils there were some good players in this squad, there were also some really crappy ones not worth mentioning. But I'll agree, the absence of players like Bresciano and Aloisi is demonstrative of Farina's stupidity. SACK HIM NOW! :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts