Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last match of the group stage is against Fiji tomorrow. Fiji will come out firing as they need nothing less than win to have any chance of progressing, but the Aussie boys should finish on top and play Tahiti.

Despotovski has been ruled out of the game due to a groin injury. Farina will wait until Wednesday morning to name his side Milicic is likely to slot in for Despotovski.

My prediction: 3-0 Socceroos

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If we could only beat the men from Speight Island 2-0 with our full squad (minus a few) in the WCQ'ers I can't see the Aussie fourth XI fresh off no competitive football doing any better.

Australia 1-0 Fiji

I wouldn't be surprised if Fiji scored ...

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5-0 at half time to the Aussies.

Porter has a hattrick while Milicic and Juric have the others.

About 800 people in attendance.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
FINAL SCORE...

8-0 :eekani: :crazy: :wth:

Porter got a hattrick, Juric a brace, and trimboli, De Amicis and Milicic all scored :cool:

Its seems as though this Fijian team are far inferior to the side we faced in the WCQ and if this wasn't enough then their loss to Vanuatu and narrow win against New Caledonia was

As far as i can tell this confederation is not progressing at all (and if they are, Oz and NZ are progressing at a much faster rate) and the sooner we get into the Asian or another confederation the better :hopefull:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: FINAL SCORE...

Andreas said:

As far as i can tell this confederation is not progressing at all (and if they are, Oz and NZ are progressing at a much faster rate) and the sooner we get into the Asian or another confederation the better :hopefull:

Damn straight, and it can't can it with only 800 people going to a friggin match? I think that's very disappointing, you've got the best team in Oceania playing against perhaps the 3rd best team and such a poor crowd, or is it just me and is it.

It seems as Fiji has gone backwards as Andreas said since those World Cup qualifiers, I also noticed that Masi was not playing tonight, anyone know what's up there?

God imagine someone like New Caledonia causing an upset and making the World Cup through Oceania direct qualification :D :wth:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couldn't agree with you more Andreas:)

It is obvious that Australias only challenge is New zealand. I agree we need to get with Asia, it is pointless playing games that we are going to win 32-0:fero:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Young striker Joel Porter proved the perfect replacement for injured frontman Bobby Despotovski by bagging four goals in Australia's 8-0 demolition of Fiji in their final group match at the Oceania Nations Cup in Auckland.

The Socceroos breezed through the match without hardly raising a sweat.

Sydney Olympic star Ante Milicic got the ball rolling after only four minutes before Porter (7m, 12m, 45m) took charge.

The 23-year-old wrapped up his hatrick on the stroke of halftime with another Olympic man, defender Ante Juric (36m) scoring the other as the first period ended 5-0 in favour of the tournament favourites.

Veteran midfielder Paul Trimbole (46m) made it 6-0 shortly after the resumption with Porter (52) and Trimbole's South Melbourne teammate Fausto de Amicis (89m) completed the rout.

Australia will now meet Tahiti in the semi-finals with Vanuatu to take on New Zealand in the other.

Farina said after the match he was surprised the Fijians put up such little resistance.

"I suppose it came down to the fact that they lost against Vanuatu that they weren't as tuned in as they usually are," he said.

"It was a very different side to what we played in Coffs Harbour (last year)."

Indeed, this Fiji team was pale in comparison with the one that tested Australia to the full in a World Cup qualifying match in Coffs Harbour last year.

That day the aggrieved Fijians lost 2-0, fired up after Frank Farina declared before the match the visitors would come out "kicking, punching and brawling".

Vanuatu booked its place in the semis thanks to a hard-fought 1-0 victory over New Caledonia.

Richard Iwai grabbed the crucial breakthrough in the 76th minute to finally end the resistance of a plucky and young New Caledonia team.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
If anything it shows the gulf between Australia and New Zealand on one hand and the rest of the pack on the other. I thought Fiji were the only one of the rest of the pack who were marginally competitive. But now, this makes a good case for disbanding Oceania once and for all and merging it into Asia. It's in the best interests for Australia, New Zealand, and the rest of the region IMHO.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
edit: had to clear a repost due to connection timing out (and yet I'm on fast and ultra-reliable cable connection!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts