Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentina, to be or not to be!
I am confused about the reports on Ayala and Caniggia, the Arg sites saying Ayala may not be ready and Caniggia is having 50% chance of playing against Sweden, while dailysoccer said that the two players are fit to play the match.
Aimar is having more highlights in the Arg sites, he could start instead of Veron. And maybe (just maybe) Almyeda will start in Simoene's position.

From futbolargentin:
Sorin, Aimar, Pochettino, Batistuta, Crespo, Samuel, Almeyda y Caniggia, luego de la practica, se entretuvieron jugando un fútbol-tenis.
El resto de los jugadores, en cambio, ensayó jugadas con pelota parada bajo las ordenes del entrenador Marcelo Bielsa.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, FIFA has chosen my countrymen Ali Bu Jesaim as the ref.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Been hearing that Caniggia will come on as a sub, while Ayala will most likely not be taking any part in the match.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our chances of qualifying to the 2nd round:
1. If we win, we will qualify what ever Eng - Nig score is.
2. If Nigeria beat England by two goals dif. and we draw with Sweden at any result, Arg and Swe will qualify.
3. If Nigeria beat England by 1 goal dif. and we draw with Sweden 2-2, Arg and Swe will qualify.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Russell said:

Most likely of the 3.

Still, i hope Sweden can hang on for a draw.
And why you hope that ?:confused:

Well I will not follow any news, I will set on chair, watching the match...waiting for Argentina to play with their hearts .....win it and then the next rounds are a new period

·
Registered
206 Posts
Can you expand on the 3 scenario's and list who will qualify 1st and 2nd? By the 10th, it should be known who qualifies in the Fra/Sen/Uru/Den group.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Though we can still qualify by drawing with Sweden, I see this as a must-win situation:nervous: We cannot expect England to lose to Nigeria though the latter does have the capability to beat the English:rolleyes: And a draw won't help our morale either:(
Guess what? I have voted for 'Maybe and maybe not, 50%'
I am feeling very nervous at the moment:depress:
Ayala, come back!!!!!!:sigh:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
utopia said:

I am feeling very nervous at the moment:depress:
How about the players then.....?:confused:

God help them to keep their nervousness away in this match

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have full belief in the team they can do this, one loss is not the end of the world, the way some people are talkin is like we have been knocked out, we can go thorugh and insh'allah the team will.
Heck this team is here to win cup there is no time to draw games here we need to win period
We had the luxury of being able to have one bad game and nopw its time to get our heads down and graft.
Lets hope they end the over confidence talk and just go for it :)
We can do it anyone who feels other wise does not simply know this team :mad:

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I feel we'll get the result we're looking for. I think we'll win and I wouldn't be suprised if we finished in first place yet. Caniggia has now fully recovered from his injury so he'll be available for selection while Ayala is still doubtful.

VAMOS ARGENTINA TODAVIA!!!!!!!

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I'd say that discussing who will be 1st or 2nd is pretty secondary now, isn't it? The important thing is qualifying, which Argentina can perfectly achieve. Sweden is a decent team who will probably make it difficult, but IMO even the Swedes will be surprised if they escape from losing this one. ;)

But I've read that Bielsa is considering putting Veron on the bench in favour of Aimar. I think that would be a terrible mistake; I'm a big Veron fan - I consider him better than Zidane.

As a Brazilian, I can't say I would be devastated to see Bielsa do this stupid thing, but as a soccer fan I must say I'd rather see "la Brujita" on the field, where he belongs.
:D

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I saw during the last years (through European competitions) the Arg players are always having the sprit of fighting and winning any match (that didnt happen last Friday) but lets hope to see this sprit again when we play Sweden.

I feel the same about Veron, I dont like watching him on the bench even when he plays bad, because with one pass he can change the score at any time.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa tried a few new variations on Monday ahead of Wednesday's crucial Group F meeting with Sweden.
Bielsa tried out an ambitious 3-3-1-3 formation with both his first eleven and the reserves - but he is still expected to play just the one striker against the Swedes in a match the Argentines must win or face elimination.
They currently trail the Scandinavians and England by one point.
The first team comprised Pablo Cavallero in goal with the defensive trio Jose Chamot, Mauricio Pocchettino and Walter Samuel.
But there was no place in the first team for for Diego Placente, with skipper Roberto Ayala ready to return to the fray after missing their opening two matches with injury.
Javier Zanetti, Kily Gonzalez and Pablo Aimar formed an alternative midfield to see how they measure up to Juan Veron, Diego Simeone and Juan Pablo Sorin.
Gabriel Batistuta, who scored twice in the tune-up among friends, played in a three-man forward line with Ariel Ortega and Claudio Lopez playing off him.
Rangers' fit-again Claudio Caniggia had a run out with the reserves after the 35-year-old returned to the fray after a knee injury picked up during Rangers' Scottish Cup final victory over Celtic last month.
Bielsa will not confirm his actual line-up until Tuesday.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From ole:
En la práctica de fútbol de esta madrugada, el técnico metió cuatro cambios con respecto al equipo que arrancó contra Inglaterra: Chamot por Placente, Almeyda por Simeone, el Piojo López por Sorin y Aimar por Verón.

Los 11 de ayer fueron:
Cavallero; Chamot, Pochettino, Samuel; Zanetti, Almeyda, Kily González; Aimar; Ortega, Batistuta y Claudio López.

Intersting line-up, Bielsa is making four changes this time.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Playing Chamot is agod damn stupid thing to do...the guy is awful..actually very awful ....and Aimar - Veron due would be very massive against a very well organized team like Sweden......

I hope bielsa knows what he is doing .....

·
Registered
11 Posts
please bench Ortega. he's useless. what a constructive way to start a discussion, but he has this wonderful ability to kill the game by just refusing to pass the ball. i know Caniggia isn't fully fit, so there's no direct sub to him, but still... Aimar can play wide (which was more or less the case against the english in fact, 'cause there was no room in the middle anyway)

Aimar should be fielded,as mentioned. on the other hand leaving Veron on the bench isn't probably best of ideas. he still is a classy player, who should get a chance (maybe his last, Riquelme and Aimar are waiting) Almeyda is also more of skilled a midfielder, who should be considered instead of not-still-in-his-best-form Simeone. Zanetti is pure quality, as is Sorin. hope they'll play. Gallardo shouldn't be forgotten. i rate him very highly. he's a genuine ball passer, as is Aimar, but more expierenced and also his physical presence is a bit more assuring than that of Aimar's (shouldn't be underestimated against hard hitting swedes)

it's going to be tricky. i am still hoping i can prove my english neighbour wrong about Argentina.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
If i was Bielsa i would take Kily out and put Aimar on his place. Then give Ortega more breathing space to run around the pitch more and not be in the right wing all the time, making it wasy to mark him.

Also give more space for the center forward, who is playing quite lost between the defenders in BOTH GAMES!

With Aimar, it woudl take much of the burden of Veron in setting up the play and would free Sorin in the left, which would be essential for Argentina. I don't know if you guys see him play for Cruzeiro, but he has a free role playing at LEFT BACK, not WING BACk! Simeone could cover for him easily.

Another problem of your team as i have mentioned before, that there is no 1-2 through the middle....whcih would be a good thing specially when you play against northern Europeans who happen to have a tight hip!

But as i doubt Bielsa will change....after all his tactical scheme has given him many fruits in the past, and now that your team is not in the peak of the form as it once was....i serioulsy believe you guys will draw and be knocked out.....as i had predicted BEFORE the tournament and people thought i was joking....which i was not!

The toughest part of this game will be to wake up at 2 in themorning to see it..however to see a game like this live is simply priceless!;) :D :cool: :tongue: The happiness f this will be the same as in 94 when you guys were knocked out by Romania. The one in 98 i din't see the game!:( :fero: :cool: :D

Also, beware of a man called Freddie......cause in North London they all love him;) :D And soon the whole world will too!;) :D :cool:

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
leg100 said:
Wierd, no Sorin in that lineup....
I'm pretty sure that Sorín has some muscle problems, he'll be in the line-up if he is fit.

Doing todays training the first team beat the reserves 3-0. Two goals from Batigol and one from Burrito.

Sorry Ze but Aimar as left winger!! No way.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts