Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the game against Nigeria was crucial, then I say this game is f*cking crucial:devil: :D Here comes one of my favourite slogans.....
3 points or bust! :D
I will leave the rest of the discussion to the others:angel:

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Looks like it's bust for Argentina then buddy:D

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldnt say its 'crucial'.

But I would say its important for confidence and for the ol' rivalry campaign.

Argentina are 6 games away from greatness (TM)!

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
RazorUK said:
Looks like it's bust for Argentina then buddy:D

So, brave Englanders, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for defeat awaits you all with nasty, big, sharp, pointy teeth.

(apologies to Monty Python)

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Argentina skipper Roberto Ayala and Claudio Caniggia are expected to be fielded for Group F showdown with England, reported Sky Sports. Both players had to miss their win over Nigeria with injuries, however the team doctors believe Ayala, who was left out at the last minute after sustaining a thigh injury in the warm up will be fit for the upcoming match alongside with Caniggia, who seems to have overcome his knee ligament problem.
Ayala stated: "I'm sure that I will be in excellent condition. We were warming up half an hour before the match and I felt that the muscles in my right leg were too hard.
"I didn't want to risk myself because, if I'd played, maybe something minor could have turned into a major muscle tear. I will be having medical tests to see what the exact problem is, but I am sure it isn't anything serious."

I dont know if its true or not, but I would say play Ortega as the starter (after his good performance), then Bielsa can think to replace him by Caniggia in the 2nd half.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nah i reckon its time to unleash the old man Canni ;)
Its time i think let him show us what he can do :)
What about lopez will he start over kily again I hope not.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I always thought that Lopez is much useful when we are playing with two real forwards like: Bati and Lopez or Crespo and Lopez. But for the current formation we are using.. he cant do well, better to see Kily as the starter.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Humbird said:

So, brave Englanders, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for defeat awaits you all with nasty, big, sharp, pointy teeth.

(apologies to Monty Python)
I don't doubt my courage or strength, why else would I show my face in the lions den:D

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
a difficult match, but we have all what is needed to win this kind of matches.
i heard that ayala wont be able to play against the english. and i believe that ortega should start. no, ortega must be a starter. remember the last wc. ince and batty are still having nightmears with him.
and he also had a good match against the nigerians.
and i think bielsa is going to play kily.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Ayala might be back, I know that it's still too early to say but we'll see. The defence coped very well without him. Samuel moved over to the same position he plays at Roma while Placente was excellent at his usual left back position. There were no disruptions.

It's going to be a tough match but I think we're up to it..

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
ive just heard in fox sports from Argentina that Ayala wont start. he is not ready yet, in case Argentina beats England and gets thro to the next round he wont play against Sweden either
Kily Gonzalez might start for el Piojo Lopez.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Crutial game, a tie wouldn't hurt us, but three points are much better, plus beating the english is always nice...

Vamos, Vamos, Argentina...

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Also the Argentine site ole saying that Ayala wont start against England:(

What I fear more is the yellow card that Samuel got, any other card will mean we wont have him against Sweden.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
If Placente plays...it will be crucial for Scholesy to put balls to Owen at his back..or even Pochetinno's to take care of Vasell.

Heskey needs to go on the old English hussling and puffing against Samuel

If Butt plays, he needs to pick up Veron

Mills and Sorin will be an interesting battle also.......Mills will probably beat him up..although he should beat Simeone up.....I HATE THAT GUY!:fero: :fero: :devil: :devil:

COME ON ENGURLUND

WE LUV U ENGLAND, WE DO , WE LUV U ENGLAND WE DO, WE LOVE U ENGALND WE DO, OH ENGLAND WE LUV U!!!

KILL THOSE DIRTY [email protected]!!!!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ze da fiel..maybe you should start worrying about your defense, it's by far the worst..you need a good defebnse to win. and this is by far the worst Brazil of all time, even worse then Lazaroni's 90´s team.-.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Eriksson: Argentina Are Not Unbeatable
Argentina - England | News Archive

Eriksson knows Simeone very well (Allsport)
06/05/2002. England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson says that Argentina are not unbeatable, despite having high praise for three players who he signed whilst boss of Lazio.

Juan Veron, Claudio Lopez and Diego Simeone are among six Argentinians brought to Serie A by Eriksson and he knows them all well.

He said, "Veron can do everything. He is complete as a football player. His best skill is his vision and passing, but he can also defend extremely well if you want him to do that. Lopez is quick, quick, quick. His pace is incredible. He had a very bad injury more than a year ago and suffered from that, but now he's back to where he was before the injury."

"Simeone is a hard worker, a technically excellent football player. He has always been a team player, helping where he needs to give a helping hand. He's very professional."

However, he added, "If I talk about a player, whoever he is, I will never talk about the negatives. But I believe they have things that we can exploit. They are an extremely good football team, with many good players. But it is not impossible. They are not unbeatable."

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Argentina V England
Argentina - England | News Archive

Sol Campbell celebrates against Sweden. He'll be vital at both ends against Argentina on Friday (Allsport)
06/06/2002. BACKGROUND

Argentina go into their England mega-showdown as clear favourites. Their great performance against Nigeria, coupled with England's dismal second half against Sweden make paper predictions say it's practically impossible for the South American giants to come away without a win from their Sapporo show-down.

But this clash has a very Special Taste to it, and it is precisely in these encounters that a Danny Mills or an Emile Heskey can magically transform themselves into heroes?or villans!

It's been a strange few days of utter contrast for England and their fans, especially the ones back in the UK. The weekend began with complete optimism and excitement, which was helped hugely by the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations and an extended holiday weekend back in Blighty.

By half time of the game on Sunday against Sweden, things were even better after Sol Campbell's first ever goal for his country had given Sven-Goran Eriksson a lead against his compatriots.

However, that was as good as it got for England. That was the high point, the summit. It was all downhill after that, although just how far each particular individual (either player or fan) slumped, depended on your own views of the future.

A dreadful second half display saw Sweden earn a draw and open the English eyes to the bad old days of the early 90s under Graham Taylor and to a lesser extent, Euro 2000 under Kevin Keegan.

The more optimistic among the supporters quite rightly pointed out that a draw isn't all that bad to begin with and how even in 1966, England began with a point and ended up winning the World Cup. The pessimists chipped in with the equally true fact that in the past after a poor start, games against Argentina and Nigeria have not been next on the agenda.

In short, England expects!

TEAM NEWS

Coach Marcelo Bielsa is expected to make only one change compared to the Nigeria clash. Kily Gonzales, whose services are presently being contended by Barcelona and Inter, is expected to replace the disappointing Claudio Lopez on the left side of Argentina's offensive line. On defense Leverkusen's Diego Placente will get another chance to test his central defender abilities as captain Fabian Ayala had to once again forfeit his presence as a result of the muscle strain he picked up moments before his team's World Cup opener against the African Eagles. Another absentee of Argentina's opening clash, veteran forward Claudio Paul Caniggia, has instead being ruled fit to play, but will take a seat on the bench alongside such stars as Hernan Crespo and Pablo Aimar.

Considering that the six weeks or so before the World Cup was dominated by injuries for England, since the competition began, things have been very steady with no new knocks to concern those in charge. Eriksson admits that changes could be made for the Argentina game, with many believing that captain David Beckham should not start if he is not fully fit. The Manchester United star was subbed early in the second half against Sweden and his boss confirmed that his fitness was the problem and not his foot injury. Can England afford any starting player to be less than 100% against Argentina? If not, then Beckham should not be in the starting XI.

Other changes that are made will be tactical. These range from the possibility of Teddy Sheringham coming in to play behind the front pair, possibly in place of Emile Heskey who was dreadfully out of position on the left of midfield. He looked better up front after a substitution forced a re-shuffle, however whether he would replace Michael Owen or the exceptionally lively Darius Vassell is unlikely. Ashley Cole could play in left midfield, leaving his left back position to be taken by Southampton's Wayne Bridge, however would Eriksson risk the semi-rookie in such a massive game.

Later reports however suggest a different, less drastic, step from Eriksson, with Darius Vassell unluckily dropped to the bench, with Nicky Butt coming into the midfield, pushing Man United team mate Paul Scholes to the left and Emile Heskey up front. Whilst the Aston Villa man can consider himself very unfortunate to be left out, few would argue that Heskey is far more effective up front.

PROBABLE STARTING XI's

Argentina-(3-3-1-3)-Cavallero, Placente, Samuel, Pochettino, Sorin, Simeone, Veron, Zanetti, Kily, Batistuta, Ortega.

England (4-4-2): Seaman; Mills, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole; Beckham, Scholes, Hargreaves, Butt; Owen, Heskey

FORM GUIDE

Argentina Last Six Matches: WDDDWW: After grabbing their ticket to the World Cup well before the last game of the qualifiers, the Albino-Celestes offered contradictory performances. Their draw in their final qualifier match against Uruguay followed by two 'friendly' draws against Cameroon and Wales, had cast doubts over the form of Biela's players. But these fears were quickly swept away as Argentina grabbed an important win at Germany before opening up their World Cup campaign with the convincing victory over Nigeria through a Gabriel Omar Batistuta strike.

England: DLWDDD: Sunday's 1-1 draw with Sweden was their third draw in succession after World Cup warm up games against South Korea and Cameroon. More worrying for Eriksson is that in their last two encounters, England have taken a first half lead only to be pegged back after the break.

WHO'S HOT

Argentina: Walter Samuel - Ayala's absence allowed the Roma defender to vest the role of team sweeper, the position he regularly takes up during Serie A action. The match against Nigeria proved that this is the position in which he performs best, and when he is in top physical shape, he can hold the entire defensive brunt on his shoulders. A real wall.

England: I'm going to bend the rules a little here and go for two players. Darius Vassell was my `hot` player prior to the Sweden game and he didn't let anyone down, looking the liveliest player in an England shirt on the pitch, despite his inexperience at this level. However, equally vital for England was David Seaman, who made two crucial saves at important times in the game and it's fair to say that had either gone in, then England would have lost the game.

WHO'S NOT

Argentina: Ariel Ortega - Without a doubt Argentina's most disappointing player on the pitch against Nigeria, a game in which he was slow and predictable. If he doesn't play well against England, Pablito Aimar will surely steal his starting spot on the right of the Argentina offense.

England: David Beckham. The captain is not match fit as yet, that is plainly obvious and in retrospect, I'd wager that if he could turn the clock back to Sunday morning, Eriksson would start with Beckham on the subs bench. By the second half against Sweden he was labouring badly and more of a hindrance than anything else. I think England need to be brutally honest against Argentina and if Beckham is not fully fit, he should start on the bench and be used late on if things are going badly. As much as Beckham would dearly love to play after 1998, sentiments should not come into it.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS

The nations have met four times in World Cup Finals before and three of those have provoked major talking points. In the 1966 quarter-final, England won 1-0, however boss (Sir) Alf Ramsey was so incensed by the cynical tactics of the South Americans that he physically stopped his players from swapping shirts after the game and then called Argentina `animals` in the post-match press conference. Captain Antonio Rattin was sent off at Wembley as Geoff Hurst headed the winner.

Twenty years later in 1986, they again met in the quarter-finals, with Diego Maradona scoring twice in a 2-1 win. Both his goals were memorable for vastly differing reasons as the first was the infamous `Hand of God` goal when he blatantly handled the ball into the net, however three minutes later, his magnificent solo goal had the world drooling as he dribbled past half the England team before scoring arguably the World Cup's greatest ever goal.

Four years ago, they met in the second round with Argentina winning on penalties after a 2-2 draw. The game was most newsworthy for the sending off of David Beckham, however there were many other talking points including Michael Owen's wonderful solo goal and his `dive` to earn England a penalty. Sol Campbell also had a goal disallowed during `Golden Goal` extra time, which would have seen England go through.

They also met in 1962 in Chile when England won 3-1.

Overall, the nations have met on eleven occasions with England winning four times, Argentina victorious just twice, whilst the other five games have been drawn, although this includes the 2-2 draw in WC98 which the South Americans won on penalties.

There was also a meeting in Buenos Aires in 1953, which was abandoned after 21 minutes with the score goalless.

Michael Simpson & Gary Dowden

soccerage

1 - 20 of 105 Posts