Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team of 2004 announced
Wednesday, 19 January 2005
A year of surprises in European football is reflected in the uefa.com users' Team of 2004 which was announced today.

Thierry Henry has been selected in every uefa.com users' team

New faces - plus Henry
Over 1.2 million votes were cast by uefa.com users for the fourth edition of the awards, and the resulting selection showcases a new wave of European football superstars. While Arsenal FC's French forward Thierry Henry continues his record of being picked every year since the awards' inception in 2001, six of the team are honoured for the first time.

Portugal quartet
The side features two players who were part of FC Porto's UEFA Champions League-winning team in midfielder Maniche and defender Ricardo Carvalho. In addition, coach José Mourinho, who guided Porto to glory before moving to Chelsea FC, is chosen for the second successive year. Manchester United FC prodigy Cristiano Ronaldo brings the Portuguese contingent to four with his selection on the right of midfield.

Greek absence
The high Portuguese presence reflects Porto's success, as well as Portugal's achievement in finishing runners-up at UEFA EURO 2004™. Surprisingly, however, there are no players from EURO 2004™ victors Greece in the final XI, underlining that their breakthrough success was a triumph of team strength over individual brilliance.

Familiar faces
Perennial choice Henry is joined in attack by Ballon d'Or winner Andriy Shevchenko. His AC Milan colleague Alessandro Nesta is selected for the third year running, while Juventus FC pair Gianluigi Buffon and Pavel Nedved are honoured for the second year in a row.

Newcomers in defence
Among the new faces are veteran right-back Cafu, Arsenal FC and England left-back Ashley Cole, and FC Barcelona and Brazil playmaker Ronaldinho, who scooped over half of the votes in the star-studded attacking midfield player category, leaving club-mate Deco trailing in his wake.

Maniche rewarded
As for Deco's former team-mate Maniche, his star turns in Porto's Champions League and Portugal's EURO 2004™ exploits helped him edge out Liverpool FC talisman Steven Gerrard in the central midfield slot.

uefa.com users' Team of 2004:
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus FC and Italy), Cafu (AC Milan), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea FC and Portugal), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan and Italy), Ashley Cole (Arsenal FC and England), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United FC and Portugal), Maniche (FC Porto and Portugal), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Pavel Nedved (Juventus FC and Czech Republic), Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC and France), Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan and Ukraine).
Coach: José Mourinho (Chelsea FC).
===============================================

Now you all can stop your silly threads about teams...
Here it is!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This team was chosen by over 1.2 million people. So I just can say better footballers got their spots..... I know there will be a lot of whiners saying it's not right, but i don't give a flying f*ck....

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Ronaldo, Maniche?

????????

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Carvalho instead of Puyol?
Cole instead of Zambrotta?
Henry instead of Adriano?
Each one of those selections is NOT out of order.

People have different opinions, but I can't see the fuss here.

Obviously, I don't agree with the whole list, but I can see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Carvalho instead of Puyol?
Cole instead of Zambrotta?
Henry instead of Adriano?
Carvalho was probably the best defender in both the Champions League and Euro 2004 last season so I can see that logic. Ashley Cole had a great Euro 2004 and was an intergral part of Arsenal's dominance last season. Again, I can see the logic. And Henry has been on fire for Arsenal for around 3 seasons. He was special last season as well and isn't doing too bad this season is he? ;)

I personally would've chosen

---------------Buffon------------------

Ferreira-----Carvalho------Nesta------Cole

Giuly------------Gerrad-----------Nedved

--------------Ronaldinho-----------------

-------Henry---------------Shevchenko----

The only one where I could replace with a few names would be left midfield. I wouldn't really deem Nedved as a left sided midfielder, but he did have a great 2004. Probably the best player at the European Championships.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I don't understand how people are objecting to certain positions. The right-midfield postion candidates were Ronaldo, Figo, Giuly, Ljungberg and Seedorf. I personally would have taken Figo. Maniche had a better 03/04 than any of the other candidates. Gerrard finished second in voting and Viera third. Ronaldinho had over 50 % of the vote and Deco came in second. Nedved had over 40 % of the vote with Robben coming in second. Adriano just missed out and Mourinho had over 50 % of the vote.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,198 Posts
The choices ain't so bad. There's not a single player who certainly doesn't deserve to be there. It could've been much worse.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Andy Christ said:
The choices ain't so bad. There's not a single player who certainly doesn't deserve to be there. It could've been much worse.

The fact that Ronaldo was even nominated and actually won prooves you completely wrong.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,198 Posts
Red_Bandit said:
The fact that Ronaldo was even nominated and actually won prooves you completely wrong.
He had a good season for both ManU and Portugal NT. And there ain't many good right wingers nowadays.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
sitting on the bench and playing well against Milwall is not having a good season for Man Utd. Getting owned twice by Seitaridis, Puyol, Cole is not a good Euro2004. Giuly was easily the best right sided player last year but missed out on Euro2004 where most of these bandwagon jumpers begin to watch soccer.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Red_Bandit said:
I guess over 1.2M people don't know what the hell they're talking about? :tongue:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Red_Bandit said:
sitting on the bench and playing well against Milwall is not having a good season for Man Utd. Getting owned twice by Seitaridis, Puyol, Cole is not a good Euro2004. Giuly was easily the best right sided player last year but missed out on Euro2004 where most of these bandwagon jumpers begin to watch soccer.
Puyol? WTF :wth: Funny because I recall that Spain would triple team Ronaldo most of the game and that goes for Coleand Seitaridis. Although Giuly had a good season, I believe Ronaldo is better than him. Don't even try to compare each other this season, because Giuly isn't even playing and when playing hasn't been that spectacular.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,198 Posts
O Glorioso said:
Puyol? WTF :wth: Funny because I recall that Spain would triple team Ronaldo most of the game and that goes for Coleand Seitaridis. Although Giuly had a good season, I believe Ronaldo is better than him. Don't even try to compare each other this season, because Giuly isn't even playing and when playing hasn't been that spectacular.
Yep, as a right winger Ronaldo is far better than Giuly. Giuly's true position is a forward, he hasn't adapted well in Barca, where he is used as a winger.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Yep, as a right winger Ronaldo is far better than Giuly. Giuly's true position is a forward, he hasn't adapted well in Barca, where he is used as a winger.
Yup, that's right! Giuly's true postion is as a forward. I like Giuly, but what I'm saying is that there are other players better than him at this position.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Flo said:
I guess over 1.2M people don't know what the hell they're talking about? :tongue:

um thats 1.2 million votes in total for every player at every position

Crissy got 36,692 votes, who knows how many of those were votes were from porkchops, the dumb man utd fans, girls 12-18 and flaming homos.

O Glorioso, this is for 2003-2004 season, not the 2004-2005 season. Giuly was injured this season and when he did play he has shown a lot more than Crissy has. Crissy had 1 good game vs liverpool so many weeks ago and then has done nothing at all since.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Red_Bandit said:

Crissy got 36,692 votes, who knows how many of those were votes were from porkchops, the dumb man utd fans, girls 12-18 and flaming homos.

O Glorioso, this is for 2003-2004 season, not the 2004-2005 season. Giuly was injured this season and when he did play he has shown a lot more than Crissy has. Crissy had 1 good game vs liverpool so many weeks ago and then has done nothing at all since.
Pork Chops don't know how to use the computer yet....Excluding us not withstanding.... ;)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Red_Bandit said:

Either way, there were players last season including Ronaldo that were better than Giuly.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Team of the 2004

uefa.com users' Team of 2004:
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus FC and Italy), Cafu (AC Milan), Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea FC and Portugal), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan and Italy), Ashley Cole (Arsenal FC and England), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United FC and Portugal), Maniche (FC Porto and Portugal), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Pavel Nedved (Juventus FC and Czech Republic), Thierry Henry (Arsenal FC and France), Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan and Ukraine).
Coach: José Mourinho (Chelsea FC).

------Henry----------Shevchanko

------------Ronaldinho

--Nedved----------------C.Ronaldo

-------------Maniche

--Cole---Nesta---Carvalho---Cafu

--------------Buffon

Serie-A - 5 Players :thmbup:
Premiership - 4 Players
Primera Liga - 1 Player :stress:

AC Milan - 3 Players
Juventus,Asenal - 2 Players