Xtratime Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
281 - 300 of 308 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Besides the fact that Sporting always wins the Championship with him around, there are some new facts.

Yes, the third secret should be that SCP was going to win. But there's another thing. This is supposed to be the year of the jubileu for the Cath. Church. But apparently, he didn't say that this is the year of the "Jubileu". Some state that he said this was the year of the "Juve-Leo"

G

·
This is a man's game not a woman's! You should listen to yourself! Pinta da Costa is a master, look at at his success, not just with the football team, but the club as a whole.

Paulinho was mildly ruffling Acosta up, and Acosta couldn't take it, just a bit of nudging and hard grafting, but thats the way the game is played.

If you want success you need to wind up the opposition, look at Galatasaray v Leeds. Jorge Costa done it against Weah a few years ago, and, yes, we won. Like Bobby Robson once said - Jorge Costa put Weah in his pocket, he didn't need the other one.

That is exactly what Paulinho Santos was doing on Sunday. Nothing major, just a bit of ruffling up, but Acosta was so wound up, he had to elbow Paulinho - just what Paulinho had planned all along. Yes, he faked the injury a bit, but that's what it is all about. Football isn't just about kicking the ball around, the war of words and the mental strength are also vital.

Grow up guys this isn't Netball

------------------
FROM DA UK PORTISTA
VIVA O PORTO!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hang on a minute, punching someone in the face when they are lying on the ground is a cowardly act.

And Acosta didn't cry like a little baby to the ref afterwards, he just got on with it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Santamaria is right.
When Palinho hit him he did not go cry to the ref , but instead ruffled him back.
After he did so Palinho gos and runs to the ref.
Whos the women again Dani.
Acosta gave some of Palinho medicine back to him and what happened he could not take it.
VIVA ACOSTA
Next time Beto will hit Palinho and dont worry Palinho wont be going to the hospital but rather the grave yard.
Dont play with the men if you are a boy , Palinho.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Paulinho looked fine to me sat watching on the bench, he didn't leave the game because he was injured, Fernando Santos substituted him because he knew he was about to get sent off.

He was carried off on a stretcher to avoid the embarressment of a senior player being substituted in about the 30th minute because his manager didn't believe he could control himself.

G

·
For your information, Paulinho was operated on this morning... Besides, you could see right at the game that he had a dent on his face. You can't fake that. I'm not a big Pulinho fan, but I also think Acosta is a damned fake...

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
you guys should't say bad things about my hometown man. Otherwise we could say worse things about Acosta and his "hobbies".

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!
http://www.fcporto-online.com

[This message has been edited by Marcoa (edited 22-05-2000).]

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
This line of conversation is absurd. Throwing elbows, faking injuries and overtly rough tactics have nothing to with football and unfortunaetly everyting to do with football. We should be talking about a hard fought game that results in a replay and all we talk about are fouls and unfair play. What a shame!

Sounds to me like both Acosta and Paulinho acted like children. Trying to justify such stupid actions makes children of us all. I say screw both of them and let's play ball on Wednesday. Sporting still has one more whipping to dish out!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Daeone, did you watch the match? If you did not then you shouldn't be making these judgemental comments without seeing what happened for yourself.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments if directed purely at the instigator.

In football a team has to show that it won't be intimidated by the opposition's dirty tactics.

You ask any one involved in football and they'll tell you that a little retribution is excepted across the board as being both fair and necessary if a team does not want to be intimidated and wants to win.

Santos could have played on if he was a real hardman, Ali fought 14 rounds with Ken Norton with a broken jaw.

The coach substituted him because he was out of control.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I am a Benfiquista and this is what I have to say.

To all the people saying that Paulinho denied punching Acosta, you should have listened carefully. The question asked was if he had ELBOWED Acosta. He answered that he didn’t, and that is actually true. What he did was, he punched Acosta. And if Paulinho plays dirty (which he does), he met his match. I have to say that I don’t really like Paulinho, but for people to say that he was faking—that is just ridiculous. The dent in his face is very clear. I have personally witnessed such injury, and there is nothing to fake about it. It must be a very hard impact for your face to look like that. So if you think that he should have still be playing after the injury, you are not rationalizing. The point is that this is soccer, not boxing or street fighting. I don’t care if Paulinho deserved it or not, but those kinds of attitudes are harmful to soccer.

As for the game, both of the teams could have won. And obviously I don’t care about who wins. I think that the game should have ended that day, but I don’t make the rules. I just think that the finalissima should be played on one day, not two.

------------------
BENFICA--Forever

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Santamaria, your points are irrelevant. Both players are guilty of actions that have nothing to do with football. A hard, well executed tackle is one thing. Throwing punches in retaliation for someone else's assault is another story. Both actions are totally out of place. Don't compare any of this to Ali/Norton. They are supposed to punch each other and Ali had little choice but to fight on. The violence you all discuss hear has nothing to do with football. It is there only because we chose to make it part of football. Pretty soon, football will be little better hockey. Ask the common guy what they like best about hockey and the say one thing : The Fights!! If the fights are the main source of attraction to hockey then that only means the game itself isn't enough to support interest. The actual game of hockey is a beautiful thing. The joke perpetrated each night in the arenas is nothing more than idiots fighting on the ice, only to be interpurted by playing a little hockey. The refs don't even try to stop the fights. They're encouraged, for crying out loud. I say all this because I don't want to see football go the same way. You trying to justify punches and elbows ( or whatever Acosta and Paulinho did to each other) is disheartening because it means football is simply getting rougher and dirtier and going away from the true beauty which is soccer.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm sorry Daeone but you're displaying a very ignorant attitude. Football is much cleaner now than it has ever been. Football has been getting cleaner and cleaner throughout the 20th century. Your comments suggest that you have little knowledge of the history of the game.

And would people please read a post with a little care before firing off their replies.

I certainly NEVER ONCE suggested he was faking the injury, all i said was he could have played on with it.

I then made a comparison with Ali-Norton which was concerned with illustrating that he clearly could have played on.

What's very tiresome is the discussion gets sidetracked by clearing up these non arguments and incorrect interpretations that it completely loses it's original subject matter.

Please don't make inaccurate comparisons with Ice Hockey. The violence there is routine. The retribution i was talking about is only rarely acceptable when a player on the opposite side is behaving in a very dirty manner. It's accepted and if that appalls you then follow a non contact sport.

If a player performs an act that is a calculated attempt to injure another player then it is an unwritten rule that he should expect similar treatment later in return.

This has always been the case, in fact was 100 times worse in the past before yellow and red cards and more recently with TV coverage and it's use as evidence.

I repeat my question:

"Did you watch the match and see the incidents?"

this means the whole match so you'd have a sense of the events leading up to the violence mentioned - you can't comment from watching a slow motion clip on the news and nothing else.

If not then please don't sit in judgement without viewing the evidence.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The bottom line is Paulinho Santos routinely tries to intimidate the opposition, it's what his game is built on.

When a player or team stands up to him he doesn't like it.

Paulinho's very clever with his attacks, the ref doesn't spot them so the opposition can't expect any protection from the ref.
He does it every game because he wants to win and he does this by intimidating the other team's creative players.

The only way to respond in these situations is to stand up to the bully. This is a lesson we learn very early in life.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
what? What are you talking about Ice Hockey for and why are you making general statements like that?

First off as an Ex-hockey player I never played the contact style of play. more the finesse european style. And as a Hokcey coach I preach skating and puck control rather than contact and grit. I can't stand these comments generalising hockey fans as bloodthirsty people...what about American Football? Or Rugby?

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!
http://www.fcporto-online.com

[This message has been edited by Marcoa (edited 24-05-2000).]

G

·
I think we are going round in circles here lets just end the topic and look forward to a good game on Thursday Nite :)

------------------
FROM DA UK PORTISTA
VIVA O PORTO!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Does amnyone know when Paulinho's disciplinary hearing will be? What's the maximum ban he can get?, 7 games, 10?

I presume he's injured for tonights game.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Marcoa, I applaud your views on hockey. I also believe hockey is a beautiful sport, much like soccer. I am merely commenting on how the common fan views hockey. Most people I come across only care for hockey because they fight all the time. Granted, the Canadian view is probably more pure than what I come across, but I stand by my previous statements. I have little respect for pro hockey as it is packaged because they do little to stop fights. in fact, they seem to promote them. I only wish your love of the true game was more prevalant.

G

·
If Acosta is a women or playing like a women like somebody wrote then I guess Paulino Santos is his little b.i.t.c.h! For a women Acosta has got one hard elbow. Acosta might be a damn fake but a Champion damn fake. I know how it is Sporting is champs but we are not as good as Porto....Paulino Santos punches Acosta and Acosta says nothing but retaliates with an elbow but Acosta is the bad guy! I don't get it I guess no one is supposed to beat Porto or touch them or talk bad about them! It just sounds like some people are a little sore at sporting being champs so just be a man or women or whatever y'all are and let them play!!!! SPORTING PORTUGUESE LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1999/2000!!! Viva Acosta and bring on Mike Tyson!!!!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Daeone just to give you a little hockey lesson. I live in French Canada (Quebec) here they play a more European speed and pass game. The rest of Canada and the US as well plays a more brutish style. This makes a lot of sense to me. Look at futebol, Portugal, France, Spain, Brazil play a more finesse game (A Latin thing) while England, Germany play a more tough style (Anglo-Saxon)

------------------
FOREVER PORTO!
FOREVER THE NORTH!
SEMPRE PORTUGAL!

<url>http://www.fcporto-online.com</url>

G

·
Marcoa, just wanted to add one thing

Lets not forget to mention to all that European hockey is also the dirtiest type of hockey around. This misconception that North American hockey, especially Canadian hockey is rough is a load of crap. I rather have too guys drop the gloves and have a scrap then have a Swede or Fin take a guy's eye out with his stick, or finish a guy's career by taking a player's knee out!

Canadian and American hockey has as much finesse as European hockey (period)End of discussion (Close this thread please!!!!)

281 - 300 of 308 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.